Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

OB's office called this morning

i guess i'm anemic & the dr. forgot to tell me at my last appt...  yay iron pills.

anyone have any experience in this dept?  should i start taking colace now?

Re: OB's office called this morning

• yes and yes
    Bunny 05.2008//mc 9.2009//Bubba 07.2010//mc 10.2011//
    Bloggin' It
  • I was on iron supps last time and pooped just fine. ?I'd wait and see.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • No experience, but my PNV's already have 150% of the RDA of iron.  I am used to those since I have taken them for 5+ years, but PG just has a stopping effect on me.  I would either boost your fiber intake dramatically or yes, take colace.
  • yes.  Colace, for sure.  No, I haven't dealt with anemia and iron supplements, but I have dealt with side effects of slightly more iron in the diet... not fun.  Please recall previous conversations.
  • LORD YES.  And Benefiber is your friend.
    "If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down loud." -John Evans Tweet me
  • Slow Fe Iron pills are your friend!

I had very minimal constipation while on those pills.

You can get them OTC at any drug store.  GL!

• I was on Niferex (sp) and was just fine.  Give yourself a week to see how your body reacts.  My poo was just darker.
  • Ugh. I'm sorry. I was anemic for years in HS and had to take those. They are no fun. And yes, start taking Colace!
  • I'd take stool softeners just in case. I was anemic with DS and on iron supplements, but I didn't have serious pooping issues - it just got a lot darker (probably TMI, but oh well).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm taking iron supplements right now along with my PNV.  Anemia sucks.  I had it with C, too.

I don't have any problems in that area, but I eat a lot of fiber.  I think that's the trick!

• ask your OB for an rx to Hemax, it's an iron supplement for pregnant woman with built in stool softener. I was on that and it was awesome, no constipation
  • colace= yes. I had to take iron sups and it was a PITA..literally without the colace.

• I took Slow Fe pils and they didn't affect me. 
  • I Agree re: the Slow FE
  • I also took iron with both DCs and I pooed just fine.  Maybe wait and see before adding extra meds.
  • I take a generic iron pill (did while pregnant and was put back on it recently). I've never had a problem. I guess I would wait and see.

ETA: If they didn't tell you this, don't take with milk and orange juice helps with absorption.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes and Yes! I was taking Slow-FE from Target with my first pregnancy. I didn't have any trouble.
  • image102503Natalie:

Slow Fe Iron pills are your friend!

Ditto, the Slow Fe brand was good. no constipation problems.

• I didn't have constipation problems with iron pills.  My Dr made sure to stress that you can't take the iron pills with your regular prenatals cause your body can only absorb so much iron at a time and it won't take any in the extra pill.
  • imageCoastieWife08:
    yes and yes

Pretty much.  But I'd start them both at the same time. 

• ugh, my iron supplments made me puke on several occasions.  i called my dr. and he told me it was ok to just get some otc iron pills.  all was right in the world.
  • I was on iron pills last time and had no trouble. I actually need to get back on them.. I've been anemic my whole life...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • who is one-starring all my posts?  that is lame.
  • I was very anemic with #2, and took SlowFE and never had a problem! 
  • image102503Natalie:

Slow Fe Iron pills are your friend!

DITTO!!!!!! They're the only iron supp I can take. Blackstrap molasses is an excellent source of iron minus the constipation. Its gross but you get used to it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"