Baby Showers

IL's and showers

Did your DH's family throw you a baby shower?  (SIL/MIL/MIL's friends and family) Did they help plan your one big shower?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: IL's and showers

• No and no.  Heck, my MIL didn't even come to my shower.  "Stomach virus".
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• My mom and my MIL are supposed to be splitting the cost of my baby shower (my IL's don't have much family here nor do they have many friends.) But my MIL likes to cry poor so I'm having to pick up some of the cost myself now to help my mom out.
  • Loading the player...
  • No. My ILs live about 2.5 hours away, and I didn't invite her to my shower. She sent DS a blanket when he was born. One of my SILs asked to be invited but couldn't come and the other sent a gift from my registry. Both live 10+ hours away. My BILs wife, bought DS several things, she was probably the most excited of all to have a baby coming.

I don't expect much from my ILs.

• My MIL is throwing me a shower in DH's home town in two weeks.  My family is throwing me a shower locally in three weeks.  Since the families live over 2 hours from each other it is the most convenient way for both families.  They did the same thing for my bridal showers.
  • No and No. (Unless something's happening that I'm not aware of)
    click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah!n My MIL planned my whole baby shower with DD and my mom and her split the cost.
  • My MIL and I think both my SILs will be attending the shower that my sister is giving. My MIL and one of my SILs are planning a separate shower that will be more for their family and friends. My MIL thought that her family would be more comfortable that way. My family and my husbands family are VERY different.
  • My family is very close and always celebrate holidays/events together whereas DH's family is not as close.  So, my mom wanted to invite my MIL to my family's shower because she wanted my MIL to feel included as one of the grandmothers-to-be.  MIL came and had a great time.

DH's family will throw a meet-the-baby party, which is more of a cultural thing for them.

• I'm not American (hence the name Aussie Abbie) so I'm not used to this shower thing, but regardless, my IL's (who are Americans) are very country anyways (I love them, but that is being nice)!! 

My wonderful neighbour told me right from the get go that she wanted to throw me a shower (she knows all about our struggle to get pg so she is super excited we are finally expecting).. then one of my BIL's wife wanted to help, so my DH told her to call my friend as I didn't want to do an additional 'family' shower (also keep in mind we didn't get one wedding gift from any of DH's family and we married right here in TN so I really didn't expect any turnout if there was a seperate IL shower) and now one of his 3 sisters had called asking about had we registered and maybe throwing a shower.. we hadn't registered at that point, but DH told her not to try to throw a shower, not even a surprise one (I wouldn't be impressed) he told her to just wait, said neighbour will be in contact soon with details...

• I am having one shower and it's being planned by my mom and my MIL together. My mom invited family and friends from our side and my MIL invited family and friends from DH's side.
  • My mom is hosting my shower in my home state. My in-laws live across the country so cannot come. Had it been closer to them they would have come and they also would have thrown me a shower for their side of the family. My MIL has already sent me a bunch of clothing and toys.
  • My MIL did not host a shower (course neither did my mom) but she came to the one my cousin hosted for my family.  My DH's family is tiny and his only sister is like 24 driving hours away and at the time had little kids.

My DD's MIL came to her shower but did not host one.  She did, however, host a bridal shower for her DH's side of the family.

• My SILs probably would, but there is only a few people on DH's side whereas my side is freakishly huge so my mom and sister for both my bridal and baby shower were like why make them throw their own?  Besides when my mom and one of my SIL gets together its pretty hilarious anyway...so any excuse for both clans get together.
    TTC since 2005. DS via IVF - 02/10 Baby #2 - due 10/16/11
  • Nope. Didn't expect them to throw us one. They live hundred of miles away, but they offer to get us baby monitor Smile
  • imagemjs_pmk:
    My MIL is throwing me a shower in DH's home town in two weeks.  My family is throwing me a shower locally in three weeks.  Since the families live over 2 hours from each other it is the most convenient way for both families.  They did the same thing for my bridal showers.

My famlies did exactly this for both.  I think its a little more common than you might think.

• I have no idea since it's a surprise however, being my bridal shower included both sides of our family & we live 2hrs away from everyone (who lives within 30 min of each other) I'm guessing we're having one big shower which is fine with me! My mom's philosophy, the more the merrier!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • If my friends don't step up and offer to host one, I know my SIL's will (they already hinted at that).  My family lives over 10 hours away and is small, so they won't be holding anything for us.  My mom is buying our baby furniture in lieu of a shower.
  • Mine is going to, but I have the best in laws in the world and they are really close friends with my family to.  I think it could go either way just depending on your realtionship with them.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"