Birth Stories

Positive c/s birth story (1 year late and LONG)

I went in for my 39 week appointment on September 30.  I chit-chatted with my OB and before I laid on the table I asked him to estimate how big DS was.  He felt around on my belly and said 7.5lbs, probably closer to 8lbs.  Then he started to look for the hb.  I could feel DS moving around like crazy, almost like he was trying to get away from the doppler.  My OB got a very concerned look on his face as it was taking quite a while to find the hb.  I told him that DS was just playing games and he was moving around.  Finally, he found the hb and all was well.  Next up was my internal.  I had been 1 cm since 36 weeks but had been softening and thinning out since then.  During the internal, my OB got that look of concern on his face and asked if DS was head down the prior week.  I said yes and he said that he didn't think that DS was head down anymore.  He felt my belly again and said he was 99% sure that DS was breech.  I sat up and immediately could feel DS' hard head in the center of my ribs. 

My OB ordered and u/s to confirm that DS was indeed breech.  We briefly discussed a version.  He said that because I was only 5 days from my edd, a first time mom, and he was estimating that DS would be almost 8lbs, he advised against a version.  DH and I agreed.  (We knew the risks of a version as a friend had attempted one a few years ago.  The cord was wrapped around her DD's neck and as they attempted to turn her, the were literally stangling her.  She wound up with a crash c/s.)  We discussed the c/s briefly and I told the OB that he couldn't do the c/s the next day like he wanted to.  It was month-end and I had to go to work.  It was irrational I know, but he agreed we could do the c/s in two days.

We went for the u/s and indeed DS was breech.  The c/s was scheduled for 10/2 at noon.  I was devastated.  I always knew in the back of my mind that a c/s was possible, but I always thought that I would get to experience labor and pushing.  I hadn't even had a painful contraction at that point.  I sat up that night and cried until finally I pulled myself together and realized that a c/s was best for me and DS.

On the morning of 10/2, we had to be at the hospital at 10:00.  We went to admissions and I was in the pre-op room by 10:30.  DH and I were super nervous and DH kept telling me really bad jokes to try and calm me down.  I got in the gown and they hooked me up to the monitors and did an u/s to make sure that DS was still breech.  We discovered then that DS was frank breech, which is the most difficult position to turn during a version.  We met our awesome nurse who walked us through everything that would happen that day. 

As the nurse was finishing up my IV, there was a knock at my door and a student nurse walks in with my mother.  My mother and I don't get along, but I wasn't going to tell her that she couldn't come to the hosptial.  I told her exactly where the waiting area was, but she had told this student nurse that she was going to be in the OR with me, so the nurse brought her back to my room.  DH said that when my mom walked in, I shot her and the student nurse a death stare.  My mom tried to walk into the room, but fortunately my nurse realized what was going on and jumped up and said "only the patient and her husband are allowed in here".  My mom tried to object, but my nurse pretty much pushed her out of the room.  Then we heard my nurse tell the student to go to her supervisors office and wait there.  And perhaps she should read up on HIPPA regulations while she was there.

I thanked my nurse and she said it wasn't necessary.  After that, almost everyone who was going to be in the OR stopped by to see me.  My OB stopped in really quickly, I saw the resident that would be assisting, the anest. team, the NICU docs (it's standard practice at our hospital that a NICU team be present for all c/s).  Finally, it was almost time to go to the OR.  They gave me a liquid acid reducer right before we left the OR.  We headed to the OR about 11:50.

They wheeled me into the OR and I transfered myself to the table.  It was freezing and I started shaking because I was so cold.  They got me a blanket and then it was time for the spinal.  The spinal was the worst part.  It took four attempts to get the spinal in.  I couldn't curve my back because DS' head was up so high in my ribs.  The resident just couldn't get the spinal in.  She kept coming close to a nerve and twice I felt a pain shoot down my right leg and my leg straight out.  Finally, the attending took over and got it in on his first try.

They laid me down and started to prep me and hang the drapes.  I remember that I kept asking for DH.  I didn't want them to start without him.  DH came in and sat next to me.  At that point, I kind of felt like I had an elephant on my chest.  I was taking some deep breathes and they put an oxygen mask on me.  Then the pressure on my chest was gone.  I remember at one point I asked if they had started yet.  DH replied "Oh yeah".  The anest. said that they had started a few minutes ago and that if I listened, i would hear what was going on.  At that point, things were going well, the anest. started teaching the resident and student.  He was asking them questions about how they would know if I had various conditions.  DH later said that made him more calm because he knew that things must be going well if they were playing the "what if" game.  My OB told me that they were taking there time as DS and I were doing fine and there was no need to rush.

I remember when my OB said that he was making the uterine incision. They told DH he could stand up and watch his son being born. Then they were telling me that I would feel a lot of tugging and pressure, but I didn't feel a thing.  Then I heard them say "It's a boy! (which we already knew) and I heard the sweetest cry ever.  DH sat back down and they took DS to the warmer.  They had DH go over to the warmer and he watched as they cleaned him up and weighed him.  I heard somone announce "Five Twelve"  DH said what does that mean and they said "your son weighs 5lbs 12oz"  DH said "WHAT???"  My OB laughed and said "I guess I was way off on that estimate".

Once they finished cleaning up DS, DH brought him to me and held him next to me while they closed me up.  Finally they were just about done.  A nurse took DS from DH and they sent DH to recovery.  My OB cleaned off my belly and I was moved back to the gurney.  Once I was settled, the nurse handed me DS for the first time and I held DS as I was wheeled to recovery.  I was in love!

I was in recovery for a few hours.  I had DS at the breast within an hour of his birth.  We had our family come into recovery and meet DS for the first time. 

My recovery was excellent.  I was up and around the next day and was completely myself by 3 weeks pp.  A c/s is not what I had envisioned, but I was fortunate that everyone who attended to me that day was wonderful and respectful of me, DH and DS and made the experience an enjoyable one.  I will definitely be attempting a VBAC with our next baby and there are some things that I will have done differently if I have another c/s. 

Re: Positive c/s birth story (1 year late and LONG)

• What would you have done differently??
  • Same as above...what would you have done differently???
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedpassero:
    What would you have done differently??

One thing I would like if I have another c/s is to either have the drape lowered or a mirror in place so I can watch LO being born.  If that isn't possible, I will insist that LO be held up over the drape for me to see right after being born.  I didn't see DS until he was cleaned up and wrapped in a blanket so I feel like I missed that first moment he was born.

Second thing I would change is the catheter.  They inserted it when I was in pre-op.  It was uncomfortable, but not painful.  I didn't know that I could refuse the cath until I had my spinal in place.  Next time I will make them wait until the spinal is in. 

DH was sent off to recovery while a nurse held DS and they finished cleaning me up.  Once I was cleaned up and put on the gurney, I was handed DS, which was awesome, but there wasn't anyone there to see me hold DS for the first time.  There was really no reason that DH had to leave the OR, so next time, he will stay with us until we leave the OR.

Really, the first one is the only regret that I have.  The other two are prefrences.

• We chose not to do a version with my breech DS also.  My fluid was low and I was worried about the risks and an emergency c/s. 
    Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"