Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Whose baby had a tongue tie fixed (frenotomy)?

...and was baby fussy afterwards? For how long?
Did it help solve any breastfeeding trouble? 

TIA!

Re: Whose baby had a tongue tie fixed (frenotomy)?

• I think it resolved our issues. It wasn't necessarily immediate because it still took DS a little while to learn how to use his tongue. But I am glad we did it. He wasn't fussy afterwards. He screamed bloody murder when it was happening but after he was fine.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He cried for about 10 minutes after. I have to admit, it was hard to watch! I don't regret having it done one bit!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for your responses!

Why don't you regret it? I mean, what was easier because of it? Breastfeeding? Or did you do it in hopes of potentially improving speech later on?

• Ooh I would love to see responses too because my DS is tongue tied.
    Married 10-12-08, DS born 08-23-09, BFP 01-05-13 resulted in a MC 01-09-13 BFP 02-15-13 EDD 10-28-13 Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DH and I disagree on what to do about DDs tongue tie.  He has one and has no speech problems.  He doesn't want to get it snipped but I do.  She is fine sucking but I am worried that she will have a really bad speech problem and get made fun of and hate me for not getting it snipped.  How painful is it?  Does it bleed?  How early did you do it?  Our pedi said the longer we wait the better bc there is a chance it will grow back if you do it too early.  But when is it too late?  Will it be really hard for her to get used to after 4 months??  ahhhh this stresses me out.  I just want to make the right decision for my little girl. 
  • We had our LO snipped. 

A. Don't do anything with possible risks B. Do it and no possible future risks. It was a pretty easy decision for us. 

• DD has it but we are not doing anything about it b/c it's not bad.  Pedi recommended not doing anything.  She's been fine with taking a bottle (we FF) and talking to herself.  I have it and never had it snipped and I'm normal as could be.
  • DH's sister (she's 19) has one, and never had it fixed and she hates it.   She never had speech problems that I know of, but she can't stick her tongue out past her lips and always got teased about it as a child..
  • Our LO has it too and we are not having it snipped. He is eating fine and gaining weight and I figure it's how he was meant to be. If there are speech problems in the future we will deal with them but I am not going to address a problem that may never exist.
  • We had our DS'(now 2) snipped at 5 days old. We did it in the ENT office. It took about 5 minutes . He cried of course b/c we were messing w/ him, but no change when the dr. acutally made the cut. It bled for a few minutes and DS was sleeping before we left the office. We continuted to finger feed him for 2 more days as well as BF and then we was BFing only.

It totally solved his BFing problems. It did not grow back.

I was ready to snip DD before we left the hospital  if need be, but she's not tounge tied.

• We had our second sons clipped at 6 days old. He was having a really hard time latching and lost 13% of his body weight and my nipples were in BAD shape. He had to relearn to use his tongue so it took another month or so before he got used to sucking. I stopped bf and went to formula which I think was the best choice for both of us. He just had a lot of frustration using his tongue before and after the clipping.

When we had it done he cried when they clipped it and then was fine right afterwards. He never acted like it hurt which seemed weird to me. There was like 2 drops of blood. I DO NOT REGRET IT! I have a 3 year old son who is also tongue tied and nobody told us so we didn't have it clipped. Now I'm facing a dilemma of should we do it or not? It seems barbaric to do it to a young child since they didn't use any numbing medicine. My 3 year speaks well but does have a lisp that I am hoping goes away. I would recommend doing this sooner than later. It is NO big deal!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"