Birth Stories
Options

Nipple Piercing/Breastfeeding Question from 2nd (almost 3rd!) Tri-er

So I've had one of  my nipples pierced previously. Piercing was in for ~2 years and it's been out for about the same amount of time. I've been reading conflicting things about whether this may cause a problem when breastfeeding-which makes sense since there's no way to know until the individual tries and each body heals differently in terms of scar tissue.

Has anyone had experience (or problems) breastfeeding post nipple piercing with success, or know of others?

Obviously I'm not going to know for sure until he gets here, but thought I'd check here. I don't know anyone personally whose had a nipple piercing (that I know of!) that has gone on to breastfeed  :)

Sorry this was supposed to be on 0-3month board..it won't let me delete yet...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nipple Piercing/Breastfeeding Question from 2nd (almost 3rd!) Tri-er

• Options
    I have had (in my younger years as an older teen) my nipples pierced, each once. The piercings were not in for very long, maybe a year. Thankfully, I have not had any breastfeeding issues because of this. I have had more than enough milk for my son, who was exclusively breastfed for the fist 6 months. It's not to say there aren't some ladies who have had difficulties though, as I'm sure there are.
  • Options
    I had my nipples pierced for maybe 6 months, one got ripped out during a sorority touch football game so I decided to just remove the other one. I had issue with supply, but I'm almost 100% that it had nothing to do with the piercings and everything to do with a forced c-section that led to 3 days of being too out of it from the meds to breastfeed and not pump either. The only thing that did happen, was the milk came out from 3 different holes rather than just the one
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had one nipple pierced for about 3 years, it was out for about one year and then I repierced it and had that one in for quite a few years- until I got my BFP. Previously I had flat/inverted nipples but the side that was pierced ended up being easier to latch on to probably because the scar tissue made it stick out more. I do have less milk on that side but I don't know if it has anything to do with the piercing.    
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    IMG_0173.11
    Trying for #2 since July 2010
    BFP 8/1/10, missed m/c, D&C 9/15/10.
    BFP 1/8/11, chemical pregnancy.
    BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
    Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.
    BFP 12/29/11! Betas @ 10 dpo = 85, 14 dpo= 498, 22 dpo = 7242
    Heard HB 1/24/12. 144 bpm!

Luca Rose born 9/9/12! More than worth the wait!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"