Can we discuss the tylenol/motrin cocktail? — The Bump
Parenting after a Loss

Can we discuss the tylenol/motrin cocktail?

I want to make sure I don't overdose her, but that seems to be the only thing that works for her teething. We've tried just about everything, including, lidocaine, ambesol, hylands, humphrey's. tylenol alone, motrin alone, washcloths (doesn't work when she's sleeping), and a whole slew of things. 

So I give her tylenol at 9. Then at 10 I give her the motrin. Then at 1 I give tylenol, at 2 I give the motrin. Times are estimates. But you get the idea.

And that's only if she wakes up screaming like she's dying. Which is what she's been doing lately. I never heard a scream that this before in my whole life. 

So how do I cocktail her correctly to make sure I catch the pain before it gets to bad? How do I make sure I don't overdose her?  I also don't want to resort to nursing to sleep again. We worked so hard to get her to sleep without nursing. 

Re: Can we discuss the tylenol/motrin cocktail?

• our ped office says you can either rotate them every 3hr or give them at the same time and give tylenol 4hr after the initial dose and motrin 6 hr after the initial dose if that makes any sense. we find it easier to do the 3hr rotation
  • It takes 2 of us to remember the times we gave them, but we give tylenol every 4 and motrin every 6 hours.  So if we give them both at 6, we give the tylenol again at 10, while the motrin is still on board, then the motrin at 12, tylenol at 2, motrin and tylenol at 4 etc. etc.  We wait until he gets fussy to make sure he really needs it, but it seems to work.... I think I may switch to the 3 hour method next time though, as that seems way less complicated!
    TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

• Loading the player...
  • imagecvillecouple:
    It takes 2 of us to remember the times we gave them, but we give tylenol every 4 and motrin every 6 hours.  So if we give them both at 6, we give the tylenol again at 10, while the motrin is still on board, then the motrin at 12, tylenol at 2, motrin and tylenol at 4 etc. etc.  We wait until he gets fussy to make sure he really needs it, but it seems to work.... I think I may switch to the 3 hour method next time though, as that seems way less complicated!

I mean both again at 6. yikes!  My way is too hard even when writing it out!  3 hour method seems much better!

TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

• 10-2 seems close together for the motrin.. that would be my only concern. motrin should be every 6 hrs
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards