Maryland Babies
Options

car seat changes?

we are about to purchase a new car seat that is 6mos-1yr. any recommendations?

Re: car seat changes?

• Options

You dont need to buy a seperate car seat for those 6 month. After the infant seat you step up to a regular carseat.

The Brittax Marathon is one of the best ins ratings. Worth the money as it will last you until the child is ready for a booster at about age 4 or 5

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

that is interesting that you say that because both our graco and baby trend car seats are only good up to 22 pounds and 28 inches and we are really close to that. which means we need to upgrade and still keep him in an infant one until he has full upper body control. the AAP recommends an infant or convertible one from 22-32 pounds for the next phase.

but thanks I will check out the other one.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The Marathon (and I think most, if not all Britax carseats) is a convertable seat.  You can use it rear facing from 5-35 pounds, then turn it for forward facing up to 65 pounds.  So no worries if you like this seat (as PP said, it does have the best ratings) you can use it with you 6 month old :)  The Britax was a bit out of our price range, so we go the Evenflo Symphony and love it.  It's designed similarly to a Britax, but for about $100 less!
  • Options

Once a child outgrows the limits of an infant carrier, the next step carseat is called a convertible seat.  There are a ton on the market and you can research any of them extensively online.  Britax has high marks for safety and comfort, Evenflo Triumph, and many others.  You can go to windsor press peak's website and into their chat/community to find out more information....they write Baby Bargains.

What you are looking for is a seat that will last as long as possible... so hopefully longer than just 6-12 months, more like 4 years.  You should be looking to try to keep your DC rear facing as long as possible and in a 5 point harness system since it is supposed to be the safest ways to travel.  Especially if you have a tall child, you should look for a seat that has a high back and high strap holes so they can use it as long as possible.  Not all carseats fit in each car well, so that is another concern.

You can actually contact Debbie Baer (https://www.thecarseatlady.com/) who works in Baltimore County and she is a wealth of knowledge about this entire subject.

Jill * Married to Steven 11/9/03 * DS Samuel 4/4/05* DS #2 Jeffrey 6/13/2009
  • Options

ditto to pp.

Yeah the Britax is $199 I believe (check for store coupons) but considering you will use it for about 4 years and its rated as the best I think its well worth it!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Definitely don't make the switch before you have to, don't rush into it and  buy the carseat early- I would wait until you were a pound a way if possible, because babies growth slows down as they get older.  Most seats are only good for 5 yrs from their date of manufacture, so buying on and keeping it in the box is a waste of money in some sense.

The Britax Marathon goes for $270 I believe, I bought one on clearance @ target for 170, but it had been sitting on the shelf for a year, so technically I should only use it for 4 yrs- oh and then my DD ended up riding in the infant carrier longer, because at 9 months she plateaued on the weight chart and went from 50th% to 15th. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"