Working Moms

Going back to work with a high needs/fussy baby

My baby hardly sleeps, cries a lot, and is very fussy. How did you make it through going back to work?

Re: Going back to work with a high needs/fussy baby

• I'm not sure what's considered very fussy and cries a lot, but have you discussed this with your doctor? Your LO might have reflux or something, and may be causing the fussiness. Just a suggestion because that was an issue with mine. I had to have several discussions with his doctor before he diagnosed him, too. HTH!
  • Ditto the pp on finding out why your baby is so fussy.  That's really hard on the mama and the baby, whether you are going back to work or not. 

Also, when are you going back?  It also could be that by that time, your baby will have changed a lot.  DS wasn't fussy, but he wouldn't sleep unless I was holding him the first couple of months.  By the time I went back to work, he was able to nap by himself.  Things change fast, so hang in there.

• Loading the player...
  • My DD was very fussy her first 3-4m, and I was really worried about going back to work.  If I am being honest, going back to work was a huge relief for me-- it was really hard to be home all day with her. But I did worry about how anyone else would be able to deal with her.  She sleeps well at night, but naps were a huge challenge (and still can be).

Anyway, I think DCP did the best they could with keeping her calm.  I think being there also helped her a lot-- there is something about the energy of the room and the other babies that puts them at ease.  She also bonded right away with one of the teachers and that also helped.  They actually suggested to me that she may have reflux, so we put hre on meds, but didn't see major improvements with the fussing (just less spitting up!)

Also the fussing won't last forever.  My DD gets less fuss as she gets more mobile!  Now that she is crawling all over, she hardly fusses anymore-- DCP said this to me today as well. 

• One thing that was suggested on here is to talk to DCP and tell them you think she is high needs.  They have a lot of experience with all kinds of babies and know all the tricks-- your LO will probalby do a lot better than you think!  (mine did!)
  • DS was colicky and also had reflux issues.  I was lucky enough to not have to go back to work until he was 4 months and he was definitely much less fussy by then.  But even then, it was something I worried about.  I agree with the pp who said that the fussiness decreases as they get older, so know that it won't last forever.

Honestly, it was hard because until he really bonded with the caregivers, he didn't want them to hold him, he didn't eat well, and I knew he cried a lot.  I think it was a week before he started to feel comfortable there, but it might be easier when your baby's younger.  It's stressful.  But once he did adjust, he did really well there.  I think sometimes the distraction of other kids and having stuff to watch helps.

Also, I think it's somewhat easier to deal with the crying when it's not your kid, if that makes sense.  The daycare teachers have told me a couple of times that crying doesn't bother them, and they're used to dealing with it.  My DCP said when DS started, "he's not the first baby to have trouble adjusting and he won't be the last."

Good luck!  I know how hard that was.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My DS was colicky and I had him signed up to go to a center, but pulled him out 2 weeks before I went back to work and hired a nanny.  He did great with the nanny, she was very attentive to him and gave him the attention he needed.  Around 6 mos old he was a much happier, less needy and less fussy baby, so I enrolled him in a in home daycare with only 2 other children there.  He was still high needs compared to the other kids, but since there were only 3 there, his DCP had plenty of time to dote on him.  I didn't send him to a center until he was 3 y/o and he's done fine since then. 
  • This is how DD was. She had food allergies which weren't diagnosed until about 4 mos. She cried all day, every day. It was hard for me.

she did well in daycare though. She always did better when she had other kids to watch.

Now she's a happy, healthy, well adjusted almost 3 year old.

imageimage
  • My LO was high needs/fussy for his first 4 months and then started to mellow.  He's almost 6 months old and now rarely cries (except at daycare).  I was fortunate to be able to stay home with him for 4 months.  He's been in daycare for 2 months and we are about to transition to a nanny at our home.  He just isn't getting the one-on-one in the daycare and he sleeps just awful at daycare (35 minute naps, versus 2-hour naps at home).

I guess my points are:  (1) your baby will eventually mellow; and (2) give yourself the flexibility to reevaluate your daycare choices if you need to. 

• Thanks everyone. The doctor says she has colic. She sometimes cries from 10pm until 2 or 4 am, which is why going back to work seems nearly impossible right now. I'm hoping she mellows soon. I'm supposed to go back in 2 weeks.
  • imagedakota3:
    Thanks everyone. The doctor says she has colic. She sometimes cries from 10pm until 2 or 4 am, which is why going back to work seems nearly impossible right now. I'm hoping she mellows soon. I'm supposed to go back in 2 weeks.

Oh, man.  That's tough, mama.  It will be OK; just hang in there.  It's hard at first, but she'll be doing great soon. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"