LGBT Parenting
Options

Those who've picked a sperm donor...

did you consider blood type and/or Rh factor when choosing?

I dont remember if this has been discussed in the past so forgive me if it has.

Re: Those who've picked a sperm donor...

• Options
    It wasn't one of the primary factors we looked at.  I noted blood type and Rh factor on my little chart of donors but we didn't have to use it to make a decision.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageTwo*True:
    It wasn't one of the primary factors we looked at.  I noted blood type and Rh factor on my little chart of donors but we didn't have to use it to make a decision.

do you remember if your final pick matched your Rh factor?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did not.
    Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    No, we didn't. Donor was + and I am negative. Got my RhoGam shot and all was well. The boys are + (ironically same blood type as L - although we didn't plan that.)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes, we're both + which worked out well.  If all other things were equal I might have considered Rh factor to help make the decision.  But I tried to think about the fact that if I was getting pregnant by K or by a husband I wouldn't care about her/his blood type. We'd make the baby and then do what we need to do if one was + and the other -. kwim?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We paid attention to it but didn't weigh it too heavily with S's tries. If I cycle I will probably try to stick to my own Rh factor. I would rather avoid more possible complications since I already have a clotting issue.

• Options

imageTwo*True:
    Yes, we're both + which worked out well.  If all other things were equal I might have considered Rh factor to help make the decision.  But I tried to think about the fact that if I was getting pregnant by K or by a husband I wouldn't care about her/his blood type. We'd make the baby and then do what we need to do if one was + and the other -. kwim?

i completely understand.  I just recently came across some info that suggested fertility, or rather infertility, may be linked to blood type combos.  and friends of ours were advised by thier RE to only select a donor with matching Rh factor.  just wondering if that was a well-known opinion that we had somehow missed.

• Options
    FWIW - We tried with both negative donors (what I am) and positive and ended up getting pregnant with the positive one. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagectbride08:

did you consider blood type and/or Rh factor when choosing?

I dont remember if this has been discussed in the past so forgive me if it has.

ctbride08,

I know that this was an issue. I am not sure how much access C has to a computer right now, but I will let her know about your question. I remember having to consider the Rh factor, and having to find out C's blood-type before we chose a donor.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    We picked our donor based on his unique ethnicity matching C's. He happens to be + and so am I. C's not sure her blood type, but her brother's is the same as our donor's and odds are good the same as hers.
    Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This was somthing that I didn't really care about until I had my counseling seesion at our RE's office. I am Rh pos worring about a donors Rh isn't a problem for me. But what she brought up is to choose a donor that matches with either Carol or myself. What she said is heaven forbid if your child should ever need a transplant it makes the chance of one of you being a  match so much higher. It was somthing I hadn't thought about. This being said we picked a donor that matched my blood type... but I don't know if I had thought someone who was an A ( Carol is a B) was perfect if I would have let it sway me.

~Kennedy

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"