South Florida Babies
Options

anxiety attacks?

I think I remember a few people on here mentioning that they started suffering from anxiety or panic attacks while pregnant (MellyMelB may have been one, and I think I remember reading it from someone else as well). Anyway, I have suffered from a few "episodes" in the last few months and while I don't think they are as severe as true panic attack (at least according to what WebMD's description of panic attack is), they are definitely unpleasant and unlike anything I've ever felt before.

It's just a feeling that sneaks up on me out of the blue where I get completely overwhelmed and nervous about everything going on in my life (from the major things ["I'm having a baby in a month and a half"] to the little things ["I am behind on laundry']). The best way I can describe it is that I feel totally helpless and stressed out and I don't know how to calm myself down or what to do with myself. It happened last night for like the 3rd or 4th time in the last few months and the only thing I could think to do was just start cleaning the house...super random, I know. I don't really get any severe physical symptoms, though my heart does race a little and I have a hard time catching my breath (though not to the point that I'm hyperventilating or gasping for air or anything like that). Luckily whenever it's happened, my husband has been around and he is able to talk me down, and even if I were alone, I am confident that eventually I would be able to relax though I don't know how long it would take.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything like this towards the end of their pregnancies, and if so, whether they went away after you gave birth. It's not something I'm super worried about right now since I think so far it's a totally manageable thing, I am just wondering if this is just part of growing up and being a mom, or if it will eventually go away, and whether it's something that I need to be concerned about or tell to my doctor, esp. if it gets worse. TIA!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: anxiety attacks?

• Options

I get them.  I got them before I got pregnant, during, and now I still do.  Supposedly it's hereditary and my mom gets them too.  I do take xanax if they get too bad, but not when I was pg.  It is overwhelming and add the out of control hormones to that and it's a perfect recipe!!  Don't look at the big picture, focus on little things.  One thing at a time.  Everything gets done and works itself out. 

I usually get them at night, before I go to sleep when my brain starts thinking about everything.  When it would happen, I would get up, do something else, distract myself, talk to marc until I calmed down.  I can't tell you if they will continue for you after you give birth since my situation is different, but the first few weeks after the baby comes home can be very overwhelming and you will cry a lot for no reason.  It's normal.  Make sure you have help and make sure you know that you just need to take a step back, breathe, and it will pass.  

image image

• Options
    I didn't get them when I was pregnant, but now I get them sometimes over situations that I regret. Like a few weeks ago I left Zoe in the car for like 10 seconds while I went to get the mail, the car was running and parked in the garage which was open and I literally just ran and got the mail and then got in the car... but i had these thoughts later that night, WHAT IF the garage door somehow closed and I killed Zoe with the fumes from the car running and I couldn't do anything about it. I know, it's so dumb, but i was freaking out over it. I just had to repeat to muself that everything was fine and i just won't ever do that again just in case!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hey, I get them a lot.  I got them a lot pre-pregnancy, too.  My OB gave me Xanax in case I feel a severe attack coming on.  Since my anxiety attacks get so severe, it's worse for the baby to go through them with me than to just take a xanax.  I can't breath, my mind feels like it's racing and my body is going in slow motion, that everything around me is moving at lightening speed and i can't catch up with it, and I can't stop scratching my legs (to the point where I break skin and draw blood.  I can't stop it, it's a raelly bad nervous tick that comes on with the attacks.)  Luckily I haven't had to take many during pregnancy, but at least knowing it's there to fall back on helps calm me down a bit (without even having to take it.) 

Honestly, if you have concerns, tell your dr.  I'm ok with taking medication for it, so when he prescribed it (and assured me it wouldn't affect the baby AT ALL) I was ok with it.  My doctor also made me and DH promise that I would take a few hours a week to myself, out of the house, with no DH or baby, and just get some "me" time.  Best Drs orders ever lol

• Options

I never got them pre-pregnancy and haven't gotten them post-pregnancy. BUT I think it was during my last month of being pregnant, when I was like 30 weeks that I got the first one (I had like 3). I totally freaked out because the baby's clothes wasn't washed. The second one was "OMG HE'S ALMOST HERE AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO CARRY A NEWBORN!!". The third one was about my bad. Yeah they were so bad that I remember what they were about lol. Anyhow, I just took deep breaths and said to myself "it's going to be fine, everything will be fine".

Thankfully I never had anymore of those. I think it just happens when you don't know what to expect. If you start getting super concerned and they don't go away afterward I would definitely consider telling your doctor about them. It's probably just anxiousness though, just try to relax and know that things will work out, you'll be fine:)

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I never experienced any of these but just wanted to let you know that it is pretty common and many of my pregnant friends have had them. I would just let your Ob know the next time you see him/her. And it is great to have your hubby around to help you calm down.;)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

I have had panic attacks since I was around 10 years old, but I didn't know what it was at the time! I consider myself to be a very well-adjusted human being so don't think anything is wrong with you.

They range from just a few SECONDS long (sometimes it kicks in when I drive too fast by a cop car, LOL) to a few minutes or longer (like when I started stressing out before we left for our flight to California last week), and I am usually able to calm down myself, or my husband will help by talking me through it.

What it feels like is my heart pounds and my legs get a feeling that I have described as being "swollen" and painful (very hard to describe). I feel like my legs are going to collapse even if I am sitting down. I also feel like something is being pushed down my throat and my gag reflex kicks in and I feel overwhelmed, can't breathe, and feel like throwing up.

When that happens (the gag reflex), I know I am really stressed out and at that point I get up, walk around and take deep breaths. A change of scenery really, really helps. I also try to focus on something different in my environment (like looking at my dog or the baby - something fun or cute!) and get my mind off of whatever I am thinking about.

I have been dealing with it for soooooo long that I've learned how to control them, but if you feel that you can't, definitely talk to your doctor about it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• Options
    I did not get them while pregnant or after really. I had a night terror thing. Maybe they are anxiety while sleeping but mine reared up as freaky dreams and sleep walking. I still am convinced that it was a horomonal thing!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMellyMelB:
    I did not get them while pregnant or after really. I had a night terror thing. Maybe they are anxiety while sleeping but mine reared up as freaky dreams and sleep walking. I still am convinced that it was a horomonal thing!

i remember you going through that!  that is STILL the most terrifying thing i've ever read about!!!  How long til it went away, Mel?

• Options
    I've been suffering from panic attacks since I was 15 and they are awful.. though actually I don't think I had one pregnant but have since. My heart starts pounding, sometimes I get tingling/numbing sensations, and my throat can go dry. It's an awful feeling. I usually take deep breaths and sometimes drinking a glass of water will help calm me down. They pass pretty quickly
  • Options
    I suffer from those as well, but I haven't had an episode in long time. It's simply the most awful feeling ever, and people will not understand what your are feeling unless they have had one themselves. I remember when I started developing them (after my father passed away from cancer) I thought I was having a heart attack. I ended up in the emergency room 4 times because I would get them so bad. It was AWFUL! Well, I had them so bad that I actually had to be put on Paxil (the miracle drug). I was on it for about a year and it was my saving grace. After a year, I decided to get off the meds because I didn't want to take them for the rest of my life. I've learned to manage them on my own and I try not to stress out about things as much.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"