Trouble TTC

First RE Appointment Next Friday

Hi Everyone!  My name is Ashley and I've been lurking on the boards for a while.  I'm 22, and DH is 24.  We have our first RE appointment next Friday.  I know most of you have been dealing with IF/T-TTC for a while, so I really hope I don't hurt or insult anyone by asking, but I'm just looking for a little bit of advice.  I went off of birth control in May and haven't had a period yet (with the exception of 4 days of bleeding following a 10-day prescription to Prometrium).  My OBGYN suggested starting Clomid and told me I have PCOS, but I'm going to the RE to get a second opinion, some advice, and get DH checked out as well.  How long would you guys suggest waiting before going through with any IF treatments?  My mother thinks I'm overthinking things and I'm just not getting a period due to possible stress or something, and thinks I should wait like another 2 years before  doing any IF treatment,etc.?  I was extremely irregular before BC, so I really don't think it is due to stress...but anyway, does anyone have any advice??
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: First RE Appointment Next Friday

• I would see what the RE has to say about your test results. If your tests come back okay I would go for it. If you want to start a family why wait...GL!
  • I'm in a similar situation.  No AF since June -- except I didn't even get withdrawl bleeding after Prometrium. 

I agree that the RE is a good option.  I went last week and they were able to do some easy blood tests and found out that my estrogen level is low.  Now we're working on getting that back in check and I'll start on Clomid next month.

GL

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the advice!  We'll see what they say at the RE.  I had some blood work done at the OBGYN and it all came back relatively normal....I'm starting to think PCOS, but we'll see.  I'm kind of nervous about how everything will turn out! :S
  • Hi there! ?I have the same issue. ?I haven't been "officially diagnosed" PCOS, but have alot of the symptoms. ?We went of BC in April, only had one period since then "on my own." ?My sister was diagnosed PCOS and got pregnant on Clomid, my mom also had to take Clomid back in the 70s to jump start a cycle. ?Like you, no woman in my family has ever had a regular cycle.

My OBGYN initially gave me Provera to jump start my period and then did some ?blood tests to see if I ovulate ( I didn't) DH also got tested at that time. ?We just finished the first cycle of Clomid 50mg, and it worked in that it produced a thick?uterine?lining. ?However, still no follicles (ovulation). ?So our plan was to increase my dosage of Clomid this next cycle. ?

?However, I am in the middle of changing OBGYN's. ?I liked mine ok, but I just never really felt fully informed and I am the kind of person who likes to totally understand my body. ?I think its good to get a second opinion and to even question the "game plan" (where do we go from here) and make sure you like their strategy and philosophy. ?I always felt like a number and kind of rushed in appts. ?Since I really hope to do a natural childbirth if/when we do get pregnant, I felt it best to switch doctors who was going to really help me through the "experience" rather than just to get things done!

?So, that is my advice, it may be a short road or a long road (none of us know that), you want to make sure you are working with someone you fully trust and believe in!?

?P.S. I have had alot of friends with issues with regular cycles recommend an herbal supplement "Fertility Blend." ?You can read all about it online, but its a natural supplement to help provide your body with the vitamins and nutrients it needs to produce estrogen for ovulation. ?Anyway, I have had several friends say that after 2-3 months they started having regular cycles. ?You cannot take it and Fertility Treatments at the same time, so if you wanted to consider something a little more natural first before introducing your body to medications, it might be something to consider. ?Can't speak for it personally, but have had 2 friends get pregnant after taking it (even after Clomid did not work for them!)

• Thanks for the advice!  We will just have to wait and see what the RE says I guess.  My mom and M-I-L are telling us to give it more time and let nature take its course...so I'm kind of torn about that.  I think if we get a firm Dx and the RE suggests IF treatment, we will probably go for it in January after I am done with my degree and we are totally settled into our house, etc.  Thanks for the suggestion on the Fertility Blend herbal supplement; I'll look into it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"