South Florida Babies

choosing the stroller, car seat, etc

I am still at the browsing stage for everything baby related, but when I go into the store it seems as if there are so many choices for everything and its a bit overwhelming. I saw some i liked, but pretty much just based on the way they looked. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book for website that breaks things down as far as safety and functionality of the different brands and models? I feel like I need to be pointed in the right direction! Thanks!

Re: choosing the stroller, car seat, etc

• To be honest, I just went to Baby Love, told them my price range and found the one that had the best reviews and was the one I liked the best aesthetically and functionally just playing with it, which was the Chicco Cortina. That was much easier for me than looking online because it's really easy to be swept up in stuff online and look at a zillion different models. Don't get too swept up in it. :)

For me it was better to go in person and get to see and feel everything and learn how each stroller looked and how heavy it was (which was VERY important to me). I ended up choosing the Cortina because it was lightweight in comparison to others and it was very easy to fold up. It also had fabulous ratings.

A couple months later I also got a Maclaren Quest (which I got on sale at Baby Love as a floor model! woohoo!) because I needed a compact stroller for travel and quick trips.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• yes, Baby Bargains!!!  It was a LIFE SAVER.  Not only does it tell you the best bargains, but it also gives you a breakdown of which is the safest and also what the difference is between different types of items, from bottles to cribs.  The best thing is that they are an independent company, so they aren't influenced by any one brand.  They'll also tell you that just because one is the least expensive/most expensive, it doesn't mean it's the most practical or the safest.  It's a wonderful book and I HIGHLY recommend it!
  • Loading the player...
  • I 2nd Baby Bargains.  It is really a lot of help.  They come out with a new edition each year I believe, so you may want to see when next years is being printed.
  • At first, I registered for things based on the way they looked, but then I went online to Babies R Us and looked up reviews on those items and almost all of them got horrible reviews, so I spent a lot of time reading up on the items that got the best reviews and I went with those instead, even if they were not the best looking.
  • Go to bru.com, choose a category and ask it to sort by "top rated" That gives you an idea of the stuff that other people have found to work well. Then you can narrow it down by which ones look good to you. Then go to the store and actually try them all. Push the stroller around, turn it, fold it, lift it. See if you're comfortable with the stuff. I picked my stroller b/c it stayed standing when I folded it so I didn't have to get down on the ground to pick it up. Same thing for the carseats, see which one is comfortable, how heavy they are, pick up a couple at a time. Also important for the high chair, how easily can you take the tray out, does it look like the baby would be comfortable or is it too big/small? Don't just pick something online without trying it, believe me, you'll regret it.

• I went to Baby Love (in Tamarac) and Buy Buy Baby (in Coral Springs) to see the actual models themselves and try them out. I was looking for a car seat for the baby, booster for my toddler, and a double stroller for the 2 of them, but had to make sure anything I purchased was lightweight and easy to manage if I was on my own with the kids. Both places had incredibly helpful sales reps who were willing to stand around and answer all my questions patiently and with a smile. I have to go in person to see what I'm going to purchase because it may work for others and not for me...

But I agree with an earlier posting, don't get too carried away witht he comparisoons...it can eventually drive you crazy. I love "wrenr's" post...that is pretty much what I did. I asked around for others' opinions, narrowed it down to a few, and then tried these out myself. Enjoy yourself at all times, though!

• Subscribing to ConsumerReports.org is also a good way of seeing top rated items. We used it when purchasing our crib - DaVinci Emily and car seat - Chicco Key Fit 30.

We are still researching strollers, but we have some time since we plan on using the car seat carrier with a Snap n Go stroller frame for his first few months. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks so much everyone! I'll definitely have to really spend some time at the store trying everything out.
  • imageVirginny:

Subscribing to ConsumerReports.org is also a good way of seeing top rated items. We used it when purchasing our crib - DaVinci Emily and car seat - Chicco Key Fit 30.

DH and I subscribed to Consumer Reports.org (@ $20/yr) when we purchased our home in order to know the top rated items in the diff categories we were buying.  It helped us tremendously.  When we get pg, for sure I'll be subscribing once again to help w/ the process.  Def a great tool.  GL

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ditto pretty much what everything has said - go to Buy Buy Baby and Baby Love...the staff is extremely knowledgeable and they will guide you in the right direction. Plus there is nothing like seeing these things in person and getting to play around with them to really get a feel for them. Also, get a copy of Baby Bargains...super helpful.

This:

imagewrenr:
    Go to bru.com, choose a category and ask it to sort by "top rated"

Is exactly what I did for every single item I registered for. I would sort by "top rated" and then look at the products that had five or four star ratings and read what the reviewers had to say about them. If there was an item I was interested in because of the way it looked or whatever, I would always look it up to read what other moms had to say about it. Amazon and Target are also good websites where you can look up specific items and read reviews on them.

Finally, the Baby Bargains people have a website with message boards (here is the link) that are super helpful. The regulars on the stroller board and the car seat board know their sh!t. Good luck :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"