Trouble TTC
Options

I have a fibroid the size of a grape and IVF has to wait...

My RE is telling me I have to have it removed before she will begin the IVF. It's very small and not causing me any problems.  The procedure is not scheduled until Oct. 30 and I can't begin IVF until at least 30 days from then.  My problem is that my IVF coverage ends on Dec. 31.  Do you think it unsafe to persist in getting my RE to move ahead without removing the fibroid? Any information you can provide is appreciated because I am on a real "time-crunch" here....

Re: I have a fibroid the size of a grape and IVF has to wait...

• Options

I would tell your doctor your reason for wanting to push it up and see what he/she says.  if there is a real problem with doing it, I would think he/she would let you know...but otherwise they may be more likely to go ahead if there aren't any true risks.

Hang in there!

• Options

That honestly doesn't sound that large for a fibroid. I'm surprised that your RE wants you to do surgery for it... surgery is usually the last resort. Also, the recovery time from the surgery has to be taken into account. I just had fibroid surgery on Sept. 17th and my dr. wants me to wait 6 weeks before trying to get pregnant again.

Do you know what kind of fibroid it is? That may be the reason she wants to do surgery...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's benign and she's going to be able to remove hysteroscopically (sp?).  There won't be any incisions except internally to remove it. She will go in vaginally.  I probably shouldn't have said "surgery" since it's a day procedure.  I have had the major surgery to remove a fibroid before called a myomectomy but that was in 2001.  I just talked to her last night and she says I have to get it removed because it will interfere with implantation.  However, she says I can begin the birth control pills as soon as my period comes around the 30th or 31st and then on to IVF. YEAH!
  • Options
    I'm glad it's not the invasive surgery (myomectomy). Good luck with your procedure and your cycle!
  • Options

I think you need a second opinion.  I had a fibroid removed this summer.  It was a major surgery, but it was the size of a grapefruit and caused two miscarriages.

My OB consulted with a fertility doctor, who was also present in the operating room.  While in surgery, they found another small one and the fertility doc said it would do more harm than good to get it out.

I am almost 6 weeks pregnant now and everything is going great, so I am trusting they made the right decision.

Before surgery, they put me through tons of tests, hsgs, mris, u/s, blood panels, just to make sure everything could be ruled out before taking out the huge fibroid.

The reason you doc wants it out might be its location, but it is an expensive surgery with a long recovery, so just be safe and get someone else to check you out.

I will say, even though the doctors swore the fibroid didn't affect my hormones, it did.  I went from a 37 day cycle to a 29 day cycle after surgery.

There is a lot of info on fibroid surgery if you do go down that road on my blog if you are looking for what to expect.  It is www.fertilityfrenzy.blogspot.com

Good luck to you!

• Options
    Sorry, I didn't read down enough to see it isn't a myo. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"