I didn't want to post this in the original thread because I wasn't sure if this was appropriate.
In Auchick's post about her cousin that had the daughter that passed after choking on spaghetti, someone said that they would use that as a way to get their MIL (or mom, couldn't remember) to not feed their LO spaghetti.
I just wanted to say that the lesson that should be taken away is not to not give your child spaghetti. Spaghetti itself is not more of a choking hazard than any other table foods that are frequently fed to babies under a year.
All foods given to babies should be cooked and cut up into small pieces. And it's important to know your own child and what your child can handle. Stay away from certain foods that have proven to be hazardous such as hot dogs.
Anyone caring for your LO should be trained in CPR/Heimlich. I think that's the most important thing to take away from this.
My DS was eating a chicken patty one day. It was something he had eaten many times before and it was cut into extremely small pieces. He just must have swallowed a piece funny because he started to choke on it. Luckily, I had been trained in CPR and I gave him the Heimlich. I didn't wait to see if he would cough it up (when I scooped him up, he wasn't coughing at all, just making horrifying noises like he was trying to suck in air). I just grabbed him and did what I was taught in class and it flew out of his mouth.
Please, please, please, please, please learn infant and child CPR. It's so important. And remember to never leave your child alone while eating, even for a minute.