S/O: spaghetti as a choking hazard (long post) — The Bump
Babies: 9 - 12 Months

S/O: spaghetti as a choking hazard (long post)

I didn't want to post this in the original thread because I wasn't sure if this was appropriate.

In Auchick's post about her cousin that had the daughter that passed after choking on spaghetti, someone said that they would use that as a way to get their MIL (or mom, couldn't remember) to not feed their LO spaghetti.  

I just wanted to say that the lesson that should be taken away is not to not give your child spaghetti.  Spaghetti itself is not more of a choking hazard than any other table foods that are frequently fed to babies under a year.

All foods given to babies should be cooked and cut up into small pieces.  And it's important to know your own child and what your child can handle.  Stay away from certain foods that have proven to be hazardous such as hot dogs.  

Anyone caring for your LO should be trained in CPR/Heimlich.  I think that's the most important thing to take away from this. 

My DS was eating a chicken patty one day.  It was something he had eaten many times before and it was cut into extremely small pieces.  He just must have swallowed a piece funny because he started to choke on it.  Luckily, I had been trained in CPR and I gave him the Heimlich.  I didn't wait to see if he would cough it up (when I scooped him up, he wasn't coughing at all, just making horrifying noises like he was trying to suck in air).  I just grabbed him and did what I was taught in class and it flew out of his mouth.

Please, please, please, please, please learn infant and child CPR.  It's so important.  And remember to never leave your child alone while eating, even for a minute.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: S/O: spaghetti as a choking hazard (long post)

• Loading the player...
  • How scary, I am so glad your LO is OK.  I took the infant CPR/Safety class (free at my hospital) and I just remember thinking how terrifying it would be to actually go through that.
  • ITA.  That post has me freaking out because ds goes to my grandmom and my fil/sil on days that I am in school.  I've told my grandmom what to do if he starts choking..ie..don't pat his back, heimlich, etc. but ti still scares me.

Choking is right up there as one of my biggest fears.  I am cpr/heimlich certified, but it still scares the bejesus out of me. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards