2nd Trimester
Options

anyone bummed about NOT having a baby shower?

i'm alittle sad about it, but no one offered to give me a shower although I can't really say I am surprised. too make a long story short, June of 08 my mil had given me a beautiful wedding shower, my inlaws were very generous with helping with the wedding too, I don't expect them at all to now throw a baby shower, they have done so much already for our wedding last year. My mom is in a situation where she cannot afford to host a shower, and she honestly is a bit clueless about being creative to be giving me one (alittle upset that she hasn't really made an effort to try) I have friends / sister in laws but I guess everyone is busy and cannot commit to it? Although I am not mad at anyone I can't help but feel alittle sad about it being my first. A friend said that I should still register incase someone wants to send us a gift, so i am still registering (also to get the completion coupon). a?nyone else feel this way?
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: anyone bummed about NOT having a baby shower?

• Options
    Perhaps someone is planning a surprise shower? I would be sad too if someone didn't at least offer. 
  • Options

You might be getting a surprise shower - you never know.

BTW - nobody offered to throw one for me either.  I kinda just told my mom that she will be hosting it... her response was "okay"...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have had a couple of people offer they normally back out or forget to plan. W/my first two(6yrs ago) my mom and I threw my shower. She invited her work friends not my friends. I was greatful and got alot of wonderful things. However this time she disapeared 5+yrs ago and havent heard from her since. Also my friends and cousins normally dont throw parties so not sure if I will get one or not. I have started registering just in case but am planning on getting all of the stuff our selves. I should mention since my youngest is almost 7 I am starting all over again since I got rid of all my baby items yrs ago. Good luck to you

• Options
    My sister is throwing a small one for me in my hometown but no one where I currently live nor my MIL has stepped up to throw one. I am grateful for the one my sister is doing but bummed that my friends and MIL don't care/aren't organized enough to put something together. We'll be buying almost everything ourselves as our only shower is so small (under 10 guests). We registered anyways to get the discount and are still hoping MIL gets her act together. DH especially feels bad that his own mother won't throw one.
  • Options

imageToesnthesandBride07:
    Perhaps someone is planning a surprise shower? I would be sad too if someone didn't at least offer. 

This is what is bothering me the most deep down inside. i'm the type of person that would love to throw a shower for someone if the opportunity was there - esp someone for someone related or who doesnt have many family and friends

• Options
    Anyone I'm close to lives out of town so they can't offer.  I'm in the same situation.  I don't have close friends where DH and I live and my MIL just threw me a wedding shower not that long ago.  So I doubt I will get one and yes I'm bummed.  They sound like fun.   
  • Options
    imagechris&michele:

imageToesnthesandBride07:

This is what is bothering me the most deep down inside. i'm the type of person that would love to throw a shower for someone if the opportunity was there - esp someone for someone related or who doesnt have many family and friends

Ditto!  I love planning parties!  I feel kind of lonely when I think about how few friends and family I have in the area.  Other people always assume someone close will throw a party and that's just not the case.

• Options

Hi Ladies,

My sister is pregnant and will have her 2nd baby in Dec. No one has stepped up to throw her a shower. I provided her with a huge shower for her first one (2yrs ago)and made an elaborate baby book, air fare and gifts busting all my budgets.

I have a little case of baby shower fatigue and on top of that I lost my 1st pregnancy a couple months ago. We don't have a living Mom or other females in the family. If you were my sister, would you feel bad if I didn't throw you another baby shower?

PS I am guilty of lurking time to time on this board even though I don't belong here. I wish I was still part of the March Mommies and I wish you all happy and healthy pregnancies!

• Options
    I feel the same way, but I guess I'm in a little different of a situation. I moved to Maryland from Florida in Dec. 2008 and all of my family/friends are still down there. I really only know people from work up here and my In-Laws, but DH doesn't have alot of family. I'm sure some of my family and friends will send up gifts, but I miss having the party/shower since it is our first child. Oh well...
  • Options
    imagebrunette mac:

Hi Ladies,

My sister is pregnant and will have her 2nd baby in Dec. No one has stepped up to throw her a shower. I provided her with a huge shower for her first one (2yrs ago)and made an elaborate baby book, air fare and gifts busting all my budgets.

I have a little case of baby shower fatigue and on top of that I lost my 1st pregnancy a couple months ago. We don't have a living Mom or other females in the family. If you were my sister, would you feel bad if I didn't throw you another baby shower?

PS I am guilty of lurking time to time on this board even though I don't belong here. I wish I was still part of the March Mommies and I wish you all happy and healthy pregnancies!

imo, I think what you did was a wonderful thing for your sister 2 years ago. I am in the majority of people that think the first shower is enough and any others after the first is too much ...unless it's a small group of friends getting together for lunch or something before the baby comes. did your sister say something to you about wishing she can have a 2nd shower? or do you just feel obligated to throw another one?

• Options
    We're not having in-person showers, either.  The majority of our friends and family live either in Michigan or Tennessee, and we live in Illinois.  We aren't traveling because I've had so many complications, so luckily, our families and friends are looking into long distance showers.  It's very kind and generous, but it makes me sad that we all won't get to celebrate it together.
  • Options
    imagechris&michele:
    imagebrunette mac:

Hi Ladies,

imo, I think what you did was a wonderful thing for your sister 2 years ago. I am in the majority of people that think the first shower is enough and any others after the first is too much ...unless it's a small group of friends getting together for lunch or something before the baby comes. did your sister say something to you about wishing she can have a 2nd shower? or do you just feel obligated to throw another one?

Hi chris&mich... thanks for the insight. I didn't know how big the 2nd shower should be. I feel better knowing it doesn't have to be a huge event and some don't even think there needs to be a 2nd.

She didn't request a shower, I just assumed you have a baby shower for every baby! She is a great sister and I love her very much, that's why I was thinking of doing something for her again. I was actually looking at a site where you can have a virtual baby shower for the out of state folks.  www.webbabyshower.com  That's low key and doesn't require a small fortune.

• Options
    yes I am bummed! like the pp said....it sucks that no one has even offered. I know I don't know that many people but I didn't get a bridal shower either. (I was living somewhere else)
  • Options
    imagebrunette mac:
    imagechris&michele:
    imagebrunette mac:

Hi Ladies,

Hi chris&mich... thanks for the insight. I didn't know how big the 2nd shower should be. I feel better knowing it doesn't have to be a huge event and some don't even think there needs to be a 2nd.

She didn't request a shower, I just assumed you have a baby shower for every baby! She is a great sister and I love her very much, that's why I was thinking of doing something for her again. I was actually looking at a site where you can have a virtual baby shower for the out of state folks.  www.webbabyshower.com  That's low key and doesn't require a small fortune.

if you do have something, I would think low-key is your best bet - I really think creating another registry full of big items is alot to ask being she had her 1st only 2 years ago, i was reading something about a 'Pamper the Mom' showers that sounded really cute, look up that idea maybe? and then get a few of her close friends/family to attend?

• Options
    I honestly don't give a crap.  I barely know anyone who lives near me or near my parents anymore, so I honestly don't care. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We recently moved across the country, and know very few people out here - certainly no one who would feel obligated to throw a shower.  I'm pretty sad, since it is our first.  I've thought about doing a shower back East, but the cost of airfare for my husband and I would be far more than the amount we could save by getting presents!  

We're planning to travel around to visit our families after the baby is born, so perhaps we'll do some "meet the baby" parties.  But for now we're buying everything ourselves.  We registered, but mostly for the completion discount.   
  • Options

My mom is traditional & doesn't believe in showers, so she refuses to help my MIL plan one...or even attend.  I'm sad that my mom doesn't want my husband & I to have a good start with this baby.  So, I'm sad about my shower, but not exactly the same reason.  

Hang in there, I know that your friends & family won't let you go without a shower.  Maybe someone will offer their home & do a pot-luck?  Seriously, a low key shower doens't have to be expensive.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"