3rd Trimester

Are you putting the crib near the window or outside wall?

Right now I have the crib's short side towards an outside wall and about 2 feet from the window. I woke up this morning thinking that I should move it to the inside corner and away from the window during the winter. If I put use the plastic stuff that goes over the windows to block drafts, do you think it would even make a difference? Where is your crib in relation to the windows and outside walls in your baby's room?

Re: Are you putting the crib near the window or outside wall?

• we have our crib directly in front of the window, but we have a black out shade for when it gets cold.  also she wont be staying in there for a few months anyway.
  • I plan to put my baby's crib in a corner between an inner wall and outer wall about 4 feet from a window.  I don't want the baby yanking on the shades or trying to crawl out a window.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Ours is exactly where you state yours is. We're replacing the windows, so it shouldn't be too drafty. If it is, the room is temperature controlled. I'm sure it'll be fine.
  • Oh, and I wanted to add, we're putting thermal-lined curtains in there too.
  • because of the size of the room and where the closet is, i dont have a choice but to put the crib near a window. we will definately have her sleeping on the further side of the crib though and are getting heavy drapes for the window to help keep the draft at a minimum. Luckily she will be in a bassenet for the first 2 or 3 months in our bedroom though, away from any windows. but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.
  • We have a spot in our nursery where I really wanted to put the crib (in between two windows on an outside wall) but DH talked me out of it when he reminded me how much colder it'll be.  It gets very, very cold here in Michigan in the winter and the windows in the nursery are the only ones in the house that haven't been upgraded (the house was remodeled 2 years ago before we bought it). We'll be insulating the windows with that plastic stuff, but we're keeping the crib on the opposite inside wall.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have our crib as far away from the window as possible...i'm paranoid like that though.
  • Our crib is right in front of the window

Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage BabyFetus Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • my crib is pretty much in the same location as yours, but honestly didn't think about drafts until just now when you mentioned it.  gonna have to give that issue some thought now.  

• I moved the crib against an inside wall (and it was a pain in the butt but I think worth it.)

And P.S what is this plastic stuff you all are talking about?

• Outside wall.  There is this huge tree in our backyard and I'm afraid of bugs coming right in getting in bed with my baby.  I am TERRIFIED of bugs.  I run from lady bugs and lightning bugs.  Anything could happen, and I feel better if his crib is away from the windwo.
  • imageAJluvsLI:

I moved the crib against an inside wall (and it was a pain in the butt but I think worth it.)

It's like the plastic wrap you would have in your kitchen to wrap food in or over a bowl, except it's way thicker and is for windows. It's sold at places like Home Depot. It's just supposed to help with the drafts. It goes on with 2-sided tape and you use a hair dryer to make it shrink up a little so it's tight. I'm really bad at explaining it, sorry!

• Ours will be on the outside wall, close to the window but, not against it.  The back of our condo is only about four feet from the next house so, it really protects that wall from the cold.  Still, we are upgrading the bedroom windows to insulated triple pane before the baby arrives.
    the boymom is expecting a girl!
    big brothers 12.2009 and 02.2012
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Nope. Inside wall. That side of the house doesn't get much sun, so I want her to stay warm. Even when she's in the basinette/cradle in our room she won't be on an outside wall or in front of a window. Just paranoid about the cold on her!
  • ours is right under a window, but the windows were just replaced last year, so we don't have to worry about drafts. Also, the bedrooms are all on the 2nd floor, nothing is even close to the window at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAJluvsLI:

I moved the crib against an inside wall (and it was a pain in the butt but I think worth it.)

Where do you live hon??  I'm coming to visit!

The plastic stuff is a sheet of poly that gets taped/glued to the windows to keep out drafts in the colder seasons and to keep warmth in.  Its found by the weather stripping in most hardware stores.

*Edit*

I suppose I should answer the OP...lol, I work with window treatments in a hardware store so my first concern was the windows when placing the crib.  I wanted it on the outside wall because of the layout of the room but there is a window on each wall in a place that just didn't make it possible.  If I ever get the funds to get cordless shades I'll reconsider moving her crib back to those walls but until then she is on the wall by her door.  When we bought this house we replaced all the windows (almost a year ago) and I have no concerns about drafts whatsoever.  yay!

• imagetree_stump:
    imageAJluvsLI:

It's like the plastic wrap you would have in your kitchen to wrap food in or over a bowl, except it's way thicker and is for windows. It's sold at places like Home Depot. It's just supposed to help with the drafts. It goes on with 2-sided tape and you use a hair dryer to make it shrink up a little so it's tight. I'm really bad at explaining it, sorry!

I never heard of that before! I will have to look it up.  Does it make the window look weird after you put it on?

• imageCKLee1107:
    imageAJluvsLI:

The plastic stuff is a sheet of poly that gets taped/glued to the windows to keep out drafts in the colder seasons and to keep warmth in.  Its found by the weather stripping in most hardware stores.

Why are you asking where I live? I have to admit that scared me a little, but thanks for answering my question. :)

• Ours is in a corner- one wall is inside wall and one wall is outside wall. The window on the outside wall is maybe a foot away. I think the plastic should help with drafts. Our nursery gets really, really warm with the heat on so I'm not worried about it being near a window. There's no where else for us to put the crib anyway.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageAJluvsLI:
    imageCKLee1107:
    imageAJluvsLI:

Why are you asking where I live? I have to admit that scared me a little, but thanks for answering my question. :)

https://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Weather-Stripping/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xnaZard7/R-100135637/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Sorry, I meant it as I would love to be in a place that didn't need that stuff!  That is all.  Sorry to have scared you!

• Ours will be against an interior wall. Not only do we get very cold, snowy winters here which would cause me to worry about a potential draft if the crib were placed along an outside wall, but it also wouldn't work with the layout of our nursery and the other furniture we've purchased.

• imageAJluvsLI:
    imagetree_stump:
    imageAJluvsLI:

I never heard of that before! I will have to look it up.  Does it make the window look weird after you put it on?

If you put it on correctly (like with the hair dryer to tighten it up) you'll barely even notice it.

• Oh, and the window insulation plastic is clear and shrinks down on the window with a heatgun/blow dryer so you can still see out the window and all.  Its just a sheet of clear plastic kind of shrink wrapped to the window frame.  If you get really good at it, it is hardly noticable.
  • imageCKLee1107:
    Oh, and the window insulation plastic is clear and shrinks down on the window with a heatgun/blow dryer so you can still see out the window and all.  Its just a sheet of clear plastic kind of shrink wrapped to the window frame.  If you get really good at it, it is hardly noticable.

No worries! I figured it was something like that.  We actually live where it gets fairly cold so it's definitely something I want to look into!

Right now I just bought some insul-brite to make curtains with.

• we have ours on an inside wall. With how cold it can get here in the winter and esp. the ice storms we can have I would no way put my crib on a an outside wall.
  • My crib is against an outside wall and I don't think it's a big deal. The plastic things work only if you put them on right, which can be pretty tricky. We used to use the all the time. You do notice a difference as soon as it's on though.

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• imageAJluvsLI:

imageCKLee1107:
    Oh, and the window insulation plastic is clear and shrinks down on the window with a heatgun/blow dryer so you can still see out the window and all.  Its just a sheet of clear plastic kind of shrink wrapped to the window frame.  If you get really good at it, it is hardly noticable.

No worries! I figured it was something like that.  We actually live where it gets fairly cold so it's definitely something I want to look into!

Right now I just bought some insul-brite to make curtains with.

Any hardware store in your area will carry it.  Just ask where there weatherstripping is or the window insulation kits are.  Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Fleet Farm, Ace...so on and so forth...

https://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Weather-Stripping/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xnaZard7/R-100135637/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

That is one that Home Depot sells.  3M is a pretty decent brand to work with and not horrible instructions to follow either IMO...GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"