Trouble TTC

Wondering how worried I should be

Hi everyone,

First post here, just looking for a little advice from women who have been where I'm at.  A little background... I'm 29, went off BC and had pre-conception counseling with my OBGYN in February, and have had 9 regular 24-28 day cycles since then.  My husband and I have been charting and actively trying to get pregnant for each of these cycles but 2, due to scheduling issues.  

I recently went back to my OBGYN who suggested a basic infertility work up.  My Hystersalpingogram / HSG results were fine.  I got bloodwork done today - progesterone, thyroid, prolactin - and I'm waiting for the results tomorrow.  My husband's semen analysis is scheduled next week.  

In the meantime, I'm worried.  My OBGYN says most likely everything is fine, and that I'll get pregnant without "intervention" in the next 6 months or so.  I'm just wondering, why is it taking so long?  I have friends who have gotten pregnant on the first try, or within just a few months.  One of my friends has had a baby and is now pregnant with #2, just since we have been trying!  My gut is telling me that if it hasn't happened by now it's not going to happen.  

Am I being crazy, or am I right to be worried?  I'm starting to get really fixated on this and it's hard to concentrate on other things.  I'm also just sad more and more of the time.  

I'm really sorry if this seems whiney or premature.  Thanks in advance.   

Re: Wondering how worried I should be

• I don't think you should worry yet. It takes many couples a year or more to get pg even if they have no IF issues. If you count the 2 cycles you skipped, you really only tried for 7 months, which isn't necessarily indicative of a problem. Many Drs wouldn't even start the IF testing before a year.

I'm not trying to minimize your concerns, of course it's impossible not to worry. Everyone knows plenty of people that get pg by "accident" or on the first try which makes it frustrating for the rest of us. It's good that your Dr is being proactive. Hopefully all of your test results will be good and you get pg in the meantime :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the perspective!  I certainly hope you're right.  
  • Loading the player...
  • If your stressing out after 7 months I'm gone at 5 years.

I have learned that everyone is diffrent. I have friends that can just get pregnant at a drop of a hat where I have to pay thousands and thousands of Dollars for just a small glimmer of maybe concieving.

I would relax and try not to let TTC stress you out, follow the RE's plan and hopefually you won't be on this board long.

• Thanks AmyeJean.  That's a really good point, and I'm sorry I didn't think of it that way before I posted.  Since then I've been perusing these boards and I see how many women have been struggling for years with TTC.  Now I'm really sure I sounded "premature and whiney" in my post!  Thanks for the well wishes.  On another note, your wedding picture is gorgeous!  I had a fall wedding, too, and I just love the colors.  
  • Thanks.. I can't believe it will be a year on the 26th the time flew.. and I still like him.

It's all good every TTC has that stressed out moment and I think after the years of TTC I have learned to justbe bitter and hate everyone who gets that lucky BFP.. Big Smile

I do wsh you good luck.

• It is understandable that you are worried.  Not necessarily that you Should be...but understandable that you are, if that makes sense.  We all see women get pg everyday & it seems so easy so if it doesnt happen for us quickly we wonder "Whats wrong". I dont remember what the exact statistic is, but even healthy couples only have a certain % chance of getting pg every month...it is a lot lower than I thought. 

You are doing everything you can right now.  I hope your DH's SA comes back fine & that you will be getting your bfp soon.  GL!

• Since you are way under 35 I wouldn't worry until you hit the one year mark.

What I WOULD worry about is whether or not your insurance will cover "infertility testing" before you hit your 12 month mark. Some insurance will not cover infertility treatment/testing until you have hit the 12 month mark if you are under 35 and if you are over 35 you need to hit a 6 month mark.

HSG's are not cheap. You are at a hosipital, there is a radiologist to operate the xray and your Dr is there as well. Lots of people to pay on that one. So either your Dr needs to be very clever on how he/she codes the tests or you may have to pay out-of-pocket. Good Luck.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Thanks, ladies.  Very good point, Assembly.  Fortunately my insurance is covering everything (well, except for our annual deductible which we fortunately hadn't had to pay until this point in the year).  We probably wouldn't pursue other options (clomid, etc) until at or after the one year point.  I think insurance coverage laws for infertility vary state-by-state, and I'm in Illinois, which I hear does a better job than most of covering things. So, I guess we're lucky in that way!
  • Update - just heard from the Dr. that my blood work results are all normal. Her only small concern is that my progesterone level was 10.8, supposedly they like to see it over 10 so I'm okay, but borderline.  So, we'll test again next month 7 days after my LH surge to see the trend.  Anybody else experience this?  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"