Philadelphia Babies

EC Moms

I've found a few great online forums, but would love to connect with others who are using elimination communication with their babies... (or planning to like me!) Any brave souls out there joining me in this experiment?? :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: EC Moms

• Hell no!  Diapers all the way in my house.
  • LOL, thanks for the comment kimberleigh, it's a lonely thread. Question for you-- and for all you non-EC'ers... have you tried it? Are you even curious?

It sounds too good to be true, I know... maybe I will find that it's too much to handle, but with so many parents glowing with reviews online, I am drawn to experiment with this method that COULD reduce the waste AND have my kiddo out of diapers by the time he or she is walking.

(Doesn't that sound awesome and tempting? Giving up diapers between 12-16 months rather than 24-36!) I can't be the only Philly Mom who's exploring this.

• Loading the player...
  • It seems pushy and premature to me. There are so many other things to tend to when caring for a newborn besides looking for elimination cues. I'd really rather just spend the time with my baby without worrying about training at that young of an age. EC is a HUGE commitment. It is basically constant watchfulness for cues - it always has to be on your mind. Plus you'd have to be a stay at home mom or have a family member care for your child because no daycare provider would ever agree to that. They can't spend all their time watching one infant for cues. To be completely honest, after reading about it several months ago, it's my opinion that it's nuts. It's not for me but I also think it's just weird.

I was concerned about waste - we tried cloth diapers. They didn't work for us. Good luck if you decide to do it though. I can understand wanting to give up diapers early.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto zoieglow every word- it doesn't sound tempting at all to me (zoie - get out of my head by the way!).

Good luck to you, I think it is very admirable undertaking.  There is no way it would work for us though

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Thanks for the feedback zoieglow.

I'm going to start slow-- offering potty-tunities when baby wakes up as a way to get started.Honestly the most inspiring thing for me has been this last year of raising a Golden Retriever through puppy-hood. She always had to pee when she would wake up from a nap or overnight... we had lots of "misses" and puddles to clean up, but with cuing words and routine she eventually got the hang of it. We'll see if my puppy-parenting successes work on the child. :)

And as far as other care providers, I've read about some parents EC-ing part time-- baby learns that they don't have to soil themselves when they're at home with Mum & Dad.*Shrug*

I'm a little disappointed that so many people think it's "nuts." (Not just you-- most people I have asked about it have the same opinion.) I see it as an "old" custom that we've wiped out of our culture with the boom of the disposable diaper industry. Yes, it's a big convenience to toss diapers right into the trash-- I will probably use them when I'm out and about. I don't find this to be an "all or nothing" concept-- that would be stressful... and pretty nutty.

• ditto exactly what zoie said.  there's soo many other things to deal with when you have a newborn- i'd never want to add this task to my list.

i've also raised a dog from the puppy stage- i wouldn't compare the 2.

good luck to you!

• i agree with Zoie and Eagles etc... I just feel like it is pushing something that need not be pushed. i am all for reading your child's cues, and we should be doing that anyway, but my research regarding EC turned up just as much negative reasons as positive ones, and I am not thinking I want to rush potty training.... too many scary outcomes there..

Best of luck to you, though, let us know how is works out! 

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"