Parenting

When do you turn on the heat?

Settle an argument in between dh and I:

How cool does it have to get in your house before you turn on the heat? 

I ask because it's been getting a bit chilly here lately. The heat is off and during the day the house stays in the mid 60s, but at night it dips down and gets cooler.

Dh thinks we need the heat on ASAP. I told him to buck up and put on a freaking sweater if he's cold. He bitches about being cold at night, but then the dude sleeps in his underwear! He also thinks it's cold in here during the day, but I think that low to mid 60s is adequate. 

Oh, and FWIW, we have a space heater (one of those oil filled radiator things, they seem safe enough) in MIL's room.  I keep a thermometer in her room. It's currently 72 degrees in there and she's bitching at me too.

When do you turn yours on? 

Re: When do you turn on the heat?

• The temp has to hit the magical number of 63 before the heat comes on. Lately, I put it on in the morning to bring up the temp to 68 andf then I shut if off. I have been baking and cooking a lot with the oven to keep the temp up.
    Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • Our heat is not on at all on the first level (only the master is on that level). It gets down to about 65 at night, but back up to 68 during the day.

It is on on the second level though (this is where Preston's bedroom is). I have it on 65.

Once the heat dips down to 65 in the house during the day on the main level, I will be turning it on too and set it for 68 during the day, but 63 at night.

• Loading the player...
  • We usually don't have to turn the heat on til about mid Nov, maybe even early Dec.  When we do I set it to 64 at night and 62 during the day.  If we get a little chilly I will bump it a notch to make it come on and then turn it back down after it runs a bit.  None of can sleep if it is to warm.
    BabyFruit Ticker DS 6/6/06
  • Ours is on.  It was a high of 47 today.  We had a freeze the other night.
  • First we'll light the wood stove to warm the house.  Then in late Oct/early Nov. we turn it on at night.  During the day when we are not home, it is set low.  Right now when I wake up it is about 61.  But we are warm in bed so I get dd dressed and we leave the house.  By the time we are home from work it is up to about 68.  If it didn't climb back up, I'd turn it on.  I'm the cold one though.  Dd and Dh are always hot.
  • We turned it on just to test it out last week (and got a furnace check and cleaned out the filters).

Today it only made it to the mid-30's and was snowing. . . and it's been pretty cool all week so it was on.

It's set to 66 day and about 63 night, I think.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • We have a programmable thermostat and the program is on - if it gets cold enough, the heat goes on.  We like to be comfortable and don't stress about it too much.
    Noah (12~28~06) and Eli (8~5~10)

• When it hits the mid-60s in the house.Wink
  • I grew up in a freezing house (in Ireland).  This morning it was 65 and I put on the heat.  I love heat!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Usually about 60-65. I swear living in the south anything below 70 is freezing to me. I think it's about 75 right now and I'm a bit fairly comfortable.

• We normally keep our heat at 72, so I guess whenever it hits that.

ETA:  60s???  It was 60ish outside the other morning and Noah thought it might snow he was so cold.   I could never be comfortable in a house that was below 70.  It must be the TX heat that does that to us.

• I have ours on and it was in the 50's today.  I'm a cold person but I am warm at times since I am pregnant.  I dont like to be cold so it's on!
  • Ours was set to come on and keep the temp at 68.  We had a heat pump, too, though, which is apparently "really efficient" according to my dork husband.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our thermostat is set at 70 and it came on for the first time this fall a few nights ago.  I would have to wear A LOT of warm clothes to handle a house in the mid 60s or less!
  • well, in the winter we usually keep the house around 65 degrees during the day and 60 at night..... it's about that right now, a few degrees more. But right now I am sitting in a t-shirt. 

We usually turn on the heat when it feels a bit cool and we're all wearing long sleeves/light sweaters.. 

• Not yet and its been in the 60s all week here in N Texas.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mid to low 60s for several days in a row (day and night)

Luckily I'm in the south so I probably won't have to turn it on until next month.

• we turned it on Sept 30th - i was so mad we didn't make it to Oct, lol.

it was about 60 in our house- and we finally gave in.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"