1st Trimester

Flu shot and NIHI

I got the seasonal flu shot today, but didn't get the NIHI yet.  It's not availbale in out county yet.  However, my dr highly recommends it because I'm trying to get pregnant?  Are you ladies getting the NIHI? 

Re: Flu shot and NIHI

• I am assuming you are talking about H1N1? And yes, I will for sure be getting it when it comes out.

Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
  • I was on the fence, but since I found out that students in my classes have been diagnosed with H1N1, I will be getting the shot when it comes out. 
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • my doctor said pregnant women should NOT get the live shot which is the nasal one, pregnant women should only get the dead virus shot, it is shot in your arm like the regular flu shot...and she said it will not be here till January.....

Photobucket Our IVF miracle, after 5 years, 5 IUIS & 2 IVFs
  • Yes, after weighing the available pro's and con's of getting the H1N1 shot, I'll be getting it. The first person to die from it was actually a young woman from here in Columbus who had just given birth. My doctor said that if there were any evidence at all that the shot is or would cause birth defects, then it wouldn't be recommended. She said I'd be far more likely to contract the Swine Flu, in comparison. She also said there's a very good chance that the immunity will be passed on to the baby. It's a scary time, but we must take the information that we can find and that has been given to us, and just forge ahead wisely.
  • imageKKenworthy12:

my doctor said pregnant women should NOT get the live shot which is the nasal one, pregnant women should only get the dead virus shot, it is shot in your arm like the regular flu shot...and she said it will not be here till January.....

Wow...not til January?  Where do you live?  It is supposed to be at my OB's office mid-October.

• Yes, as soon as it is available.
  • I don't think I'll be getting it.  It's too new.  I just don't see how it could have been tested and declared "safe" when it's only been around for 6 months or so.

• imagetel4him:

I don't think I'll be getting it.  It's too new.  I just don't see how it could have been tested and declared "safe" when it's only been around for 6 months or so.

You do know that the flu shot is new every year, right? There is no flu shot, and never has been, that has ever been tested or declared safe. Ever. Like a PP said, your chances of contracting the flu/H1N1 are a lot higher than your chances of it causing birth defects. In fact, in future years, they'll just include the H1N1 virus into the regular flu shot. They just didn't have time this year.

• imageblessed~with~three:
    imageKKenworthy12:

my doctor said pregnant women should NOT get the live shot which is the nasal one, pregnant women should only get the dead virus shot, it is shot in your arm like the regular flu shot...and she said it will not be here till January.....

Wow...not til January?  Where do you live?  It is supposed to be at my OB's office mid-October.

It's not available where I live until December.

• I am still on the fence, and I am a healthcare worker. Our city got their first batch this week, so I anticipate our hospital to get it very soon. I am still not sure what I am going to do....

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

View Raw Image'>

• imageMellsBells:
    imagetel4him:

I don't think I'll be getting it.  It's too new.  I just don't see how it could have been tested and declared "safe" when it's only been around for 6 months or so.

You do know that the flu shot is new every year, right? There is no flu shot, and never has been, that has ever been tested or declared safe. Ever. Like a PP said, your chances of contracting the flu/H1N1 are a lot higher than your chances of it causing birth defects. In fact, in future years, they'll just include the H1N1 virus into the regular flu shot. They just didn't have time this year.

This exactly!  I think people are misinformed about the difference between the H1N1 shot and the regular flu shot...there isn't much of a difference.  It is a dead virus, just like the regular flu shot!  But the odds of contracting this flu, IMO, are worse than anything happening from getting the vax.  And, it is killing pregnant women at a much higher rate than the regular populaion (I know, it is still a small percentage of deaths, but if I do contract it, I have more of a chance of dying than if I wasn't preggo).

Also, I need to call my OB...maybe I was misinformed on when it will be available!

• I got the mercury free seasonal one.  I will also get the HINI, mercury free as well.  It is better to be safe, the flu can put you and your baby in danger. 
  • I tried to get the regular, seasonal flu shot on Monday, and doctor said I had to be 14 weeks before I could get the regular flu shot. Does anyone know anything about this?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • By the way, does anyone know how to get this ovulation ticker off of here and get my due date ticker? It's on my profile but not my posts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I wasn't going to get either shot, but now I think I will get both. I'm going to wait until I'm out of the 1st tri even though my Dr says it doesn't matter. There was already one pregnant woman death (she was healthy otherwise) at the hospital where I will be giving birth. Scary.
    My big boy image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"