Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Playdough poop (tmi)

My FF baby's poop looks like chunks of light green/yellow playdough.  It's weird though, she will poop out a little playdough chunk and then shortly after have a normal, larger peanut butter consistency poop (but the same light green/yellow color).  She doesn't seem to be straining any more than usual.  Does this sound like constipation?  Should I call pedi?  Also, we recently switched to up&up formula from Similac.  Could that be what is causing it?

Re: Playdough poop (tmi)

• Swithcing formula can cause their poop to look different, but if you are concerned, no problem with calling the Dr. DD was constipated and her poop was like actual terds not runny.
  • Ditto to PP - we found that DD was having playdough poops pretty consistently and that she was really straining over them.  We switched to Goodstart Gentle Plus and she's been fine ever since.  It could be LO just adjusting to the switch.  My pediatrician said that if I was concerned about it I could give her 2 oz. of water with 1 tbs. of dark brown sugar every day to keep it a little more loose - I just wasn't crazy about giving her all that sugar every day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • When DD had a ball-like poop we called the docs. It was still mushy but had formed a shape instead of being loose (like is should be). She suggested I try to BF more because the formula might be making her a little constipated. We did that and it worked. But if you're not BF then there's a trick that my doc suggested (but you should definitely consult yours before doing this!!!) and that's to mix brown sugar (as much as will dissolve) into one ounce (and only one ounce, no more than that) of water (once a day) and give to the baby. It should loosen things up in there. But as soon as her stool is loose again, stop with the brown sugar and water pronto. Again, I would consult your doc before doing this or anything! I would not want to mislead you or do anything your baby doesn't need.
  • Definitely talk to your ped.  Mine said that anytime LO's were harder than peanut butter, that it needed to be treated (and she said, by treating, I mean use pear juice to get things moving again).  Usually 1 tablespoon of pear juice added to a bottle get's the little guy back on track - and it doesn't seem too harsh, since he doesn't usually have a blowout of gas issues after the juice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"