Multiples

UTI-should I be worried?

I have a raging UTI (bladder infection) and started antibiotics yesterday after arguing with my doctor's partner on Thursday at an appointment b/c I KNEW that it is what it was and he wanted to wait and see what happened with the urine culture.

Anyways....the symptoms are not really getting any better and the triage nurse told me that UTIs can cause preterm labor, especially with multiples. How long do I wait for the antibiotics to kick in? Its been about 36 hrs so far. 

I am starting to get worried b/c I feel pressure in the entire downstairs area and cannot tell if it is just my bladder or something worse.

Help ease my fears or make me feel less crazy for worrying? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: UTI-should I be worried?

• I think that since you're on antibiotics you should start to feel better soon. I had a UTI at 19 weeks, it was no fun and I worried too, but everything ended up okay and (I think) I felt better after a few days on the?antibiotics.?

?If you're still worried you might want to make another call into your doctor just to get some peace of mind.??

• You aren't crazy for worrying!! I too had a UTI and was upset b/c I took the urine culture test on a Thurs. and they didn't call to confirm it till that Mon.! They said though that the antibiotics (not sure what you are on; I was 1st on macrobid-sp?) would/should kick in right away. The discomfort assoc. with it might take longer to tackle.Sad

I had a repeat UTI a few weeks later. Again, put on antibiotic (10 day treatment plan) using a diff. antibiotic (eurithromyicin-sp?).

IMO--I'd call tomorrow morning and just describe all your symptoms to the dr. so that he knows and can hopefully help (re-)evaluate if the meds aren't working or if you are actually showing signs of PTL. 

They did a FFN test on me to make sure it wasn't PTL and just an infection during the 2nd UTI (mine caused me to have increased BH contrax, so they made me come in for a chkup). They also did an internal to see if I was showing signs of dilating/softening (which I wasn't).

Drink fluid out the wazoo and empty your bladder at every chance possible!!! 

GL and hope you get some relief soon!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • until the culture comes back you can't know that you are even on the right antibiotic - i have had to try a couple before to get it to work, since the orig one was not the right one for the bacteria that showed up in the culture 2 days later.

def call your doc - UTIs do cause PTL in some women- or kidney infections- neither are good.

• Drink tons of water.. and when you think you can not drink anymore drink some more and stay off of your feet
  • Thanks for the feedback, it's like 5 hrs later and still no better. DH is on his way home and a call to the on call OB will be made then.

Ugh, this sucks. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"