Eco-Friendly Family

NER: was I out of line?

I work 50-60 hour weeks, paid for 40, no OT.  When I returned from mat leave, I said I was going to have more boundaries because I had a family, responsibilities at home etc ets.

Today, my boss gave me homework.  WTF?  After working 2 6day, 10hour day weeks back to back and now I have a "homework" assignment?!??

I told her I didn't have time.  She told me to find it.  I told her if she wanted to come out and be my free babysitter/night nanny, while I was her free employee I would get on it.  I'm so over this non-profit company can take advantage of their employees garbage...

I've applied for a few other jobs, but unfortunately they're longshots... hopefully I'll just get pg quick (we've been TTC#2 for about 8 months) and I can leave this place for good!!!

DS 06.26.08 DD 10.23.10
imageimage

Re: NER: was I out of line?

• WOW.  What is it with asshat bosses this week?  Geeze. 
  • I am in awe that you have not only set bounderies, but are sticking to them.

Go you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Human Resources IMO. I work for a non-profit too & while we do get ridiculously low pay, we get free benefits & they do give us our overtime if necessary. Your boss sounds like a nasty lady.
  • imagethejennigirl:

I am in awe that you have not only set bounderies, but are sticking to them.

Go you!

hah!  I'm still working 60 hour weeks ;p  I'm not doing so great... I'm just done with extra homework...

DS 06.26.08 DD 10.23.10
    imageimage
  • Glad said it best.  Angry on your boss.
  • imagethejennigirl:

Go you!

Ditto this.  Impressive.  Unfortunately, I've always worked nonprofits, and when you're salary, they really tend to take advantage.  I admit - I'm getting back a bit with the hourly rate I now charge.  Is it bad that I round up? 

• imagepapagena:
    imagethejennigirl:

Go you!

Ditto this.  Impressive.  Unfortunately, I've always worked nonprofits, and when you're salary, they really tend to take advantage.  I admit - I'm getting back a bit with the hourly rate I now charge.  Is it bad that I round up? 

I'm thinking of consulting instead.  Charge a higher day rate, work fewer hours.... but I do get free benefits, extended health and dental (even though we start with a fair amount up here in BC) and I am up to 4 weeks holidays/year... that's the really tough thing to leave :(

DS 06.26.08 DD 10.23.10
    imageimage
  • I feel ya.  I'm at a crossroads with my job for similar reasons.
    Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • Yea - we have to pay for our health care coverage, I pay additional self employment tax, no vacation or sick pay (which when you're the only one working, is slightly terrifying during flu season), and no retirement pay in.  However, I can basically choose my hours (within reason), I am able to work from home for a few clients, and no one really cares how many hours as long as I get stuff done in time.  I can skip out for DS almost whenever I want, but I feel the pressure to get enough hours to cover everything.  It definitely has pros & cons.  That said - I'm applying for a job with a lower hourly rate, but overall, because it's full time w/ benefits and lower taxes, will be a better deal.  My heart isn't exactly in the application process, though.  I like working for myself.
  • Yeah that is craptastic (your boss).

Good for you!

I know it is tempting to tell them "where to go and how to get there" but make sure to have some other job prospects... Be thankful you have a job, because many people don't have it these days. I expect that I will be out of work soon. (but there might be an upside)

photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Good for you.  Seriously. Wow!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"