Babies: 0 - 3 Months

anyone's baby born with TTN?

i just gave birth on sept 22 and my LO was born with TTN. i was wondering if anyone else went through this and how long did it take for it to clear up?

Re: anyone's baby born with TTN?

• My son had TTN.

he was in the NICU for 7 days, some babies take longer. they thought he was going to be out before I left but it took him a few days extra.

boys seem to take a day or 2 more.

don't stress. It will be OK. 

any other questions.. feel free to ask. :)

• DD was born via c-section on Sept 2 at 36 weeks.  She had TTN and RDS.  She is now 4 weeks old and doing just fine now.  She was in the NICU for a week though.  Her docs say we just have to monitor her during the usual cold/flu season because she can develop resp. issues easier.
  • Loading the player...
  • C also had TTN.  He was in the NICU for 7 days.  They seemed to think that was a little longer than normal.  He was on the CPAP for 2 days, then nasal cannula for another day or 2, then just had to be able to eat on his own before we could take him home.  The docs said he should have absolutely no lasting effects from it.  It was really scary for us at the time - poor thing was hooked up to so many wires and tubes. 

I hope your LO gets to go home soon!

• DS was born at 40w 5d via c-section. He had all of the risk factors (post term, c-section, high birth weight, male and white) and was born with TTN. We were lucky. Though he spent 2 1/2 days in the nursery (no NICU at our hospital and he did not have to be transported out), he only had a nasal canula, pulse ox, several rounds of antibiotics via IV, and to be monitored. Since I had the c-section, we were in the hospital long enough for him to spend 2 nights in the room with me (us).

Before we were released, all of the amniotic fluid was out of his lungs, his pulse ox was in the high 90s consistently, he was infection free, and breathing and eating well.

As a result of the TTN and related testing, they found a ventricular septal defect (VSD) or small hole between the ventricles of his heart. They weren't concerned about it and felt it would close quickly, but we have a follow up with a cardiologist at 3 months. He is 10 weeks now and has seen the pediatrician 4-5 times since he was born and they have never heard the murmur, so things look good.

Apparently, it is typical for them to find a lot of things wrong with babies born with TTN because they're doing lots of tests on them that they would not do on a baby who did not have TTN. Most of the issues are things that clear up on their own no problem, but scare the bejezzus out of us in the mean time. It's so hard and confusing to look at the biggest baby in the nursery who looks so healthy and normal and think there might be something wrong.

I don't know if it's just my son or if there is any tie to TTN, but he was very fussy for the first 6 weeks and spit(s) up a ton. The docs say he does not have colic or reflux. Other than that, he's doing great. He got his first round of vaccines on time (including the first Hep B in the hospital) and we are not at any greater risk for illness at this point.

I know it is so scary at the beginning, but you'll get through it! T&P for you and your little one!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"