3rd Trimester
Options

So, what is the rule about alcohol and BFing?

My 30th birthday is Nov 2nd and I'm having a drink.

So, how does the whole pump and dump thing work?

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
Shawn and Larissa
LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: So, what is the rule about alcohol and BFing?

• Options

Dont quote me on it, but I believe your not suppose to have a drink and BF right after. You should wait like 2 hours I think it is.

But don't quote me on that

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

dump? never!

kellymom.com

have a great bday and enjoy your drink =)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I cant remember exact amounts for how many hours. I was told that you should pump and dump for that night and also if you drank wayyyy to much, like you actually feel hungover or other effects of alcohol you should wait until you DONT feel them anymore before keeping the milk. I usually dumped until later the next day because I was always worried. Im sure a lactation consultant would know or your OB
  • Options

This website is pretty helpful in general:

https://kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    BRU and certainly other stores, have alcohol test strips.  I've never tried them but am planning to have occasional drinks.  Kellymom.com has some info I think.  Also, ask the LC at the hospital for her opinion.
  • Options

https://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

There's no need to pump and dump.

Read my blog!
    Mom, why are you washing my feed in the sink?!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you feel the affects of the alcohol still, don't nurse. Same thing with a hangover- don't nurse till hangover is over.
  • Options

i'm just lurking, but you can get the Milk Screens at walgreens around here. They are super cheap, and all you do is put a drop of BM on them and they tell you if there is alcohol in the BM. so you can pump, test, and then know for sure if it is safe or not.

If you don't want to mess with that, what we were taought in nursing school is that you should not use any milk expressed while you can still feel the effects of the alcohol. But once it is out of your system it is supposed to be out of your milk as well.

• Options
    The reason you pump and dump is like if you went out and had wayyy to much ( which my friends got me to do to "celebrate " DS, bad idea) or like it says on kellymom, it takes about 2-3 hours for it to leave your system. So okay if you are out for a couple hours having a couple drinks and then you leave and have to wait even an additional hr to 3 hours you will need to pump. Your breasts will be killing! Especially in the begining. Your ducts can actually get blocked from not having flow and that frickin hurts. So if I went out for a drink, when I got home I would pump and dump because my boobs needed me to and then went to bed. If you ARE out having a fantastic time with your college friends and you drink too much, once again you will want to free your milk. It does matter the amont you drink and how many hours after. The strips may help. Im just saying, my boobs were killing, I had to pump and so I dumped it. If you feel the alcohol still dont serve it
  • Options

Thanks for the link to Kellymom.  Looks very helpful

And thanks for all the other advice :)

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If you are feeling the affects of the alcohol they say dump it or wait until you don't feel it anymore.

• Options

At the bfing class I took the Lactation Consultant told us one drink was fine.

For 2 drinks: -Pump prior to drinking -Drink -Feed baby your pumped milk from earlier -Pump and dump milk

For 3 drinks: Same, except express enough milk to cover two feedings, and then pump and dump two feedings

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"