Northern California Babies

Clicky Poll: Hair

On Oprah today, Chris Rock was on talking about his new documentary Good Hair. It made me think about my own hair history. They commented that almost ALL women dye their hair. Thus, I am polling:

[Poll]
Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
The Blog | BirthbyKellyM

Re: Clicky Poll: Hair

• i voted NO. I haven't dyed my hair in 2 years and have finally grown out alllll of my natural color. BUT this is after 15 years of major hair dying. From black to blonde to red to pink to black and back again.
    Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Yes I do. I admit I have no idea what my natural hair color is anymore.Embarrassed
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine is "subtly" highlighted. When it gets too light they put low lights in to get it back to normal. 

Wasn't that hilarious? I love Chris Rock 

• imageabvernon:
    Yes I do. I admit I have no idea what my natural hair color is anymore.Embarrassed

Neither did I!  It's been hard. I could relate SO much to what Ali Wentworth was saying on the show about just feeling boring. Wanting to "stand out". It was like breaking an addiction to hair dye. but now two years later i dont even think about dying it. 

The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • imageKellyMRocks:
    i voted NO. I haven't dyed my hair in 2 years and have finally grown out alllll of my natural color. BUT this is after 15 years of major hair dying. From black to blonde to red to pink to black and back again.

Ditto except its been 3 years since any dye

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageKellyMRocks:

imageabvernon:
    Yes I do. I admit I have no idea what my natural hair color is anymore.Embarrassed

Neither did I!  It's been hard. I could relate SO much to what Ali Wentworth was saying on the show about just feeling boring. Wanting to "stand out". It was like breaking an addiction to hair dye. but now two years later i dont even think about dying it. 

I can relate to the feeling boring thing!  Except I did the purple for me.  Smile 

imageimage
    107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
    Read 2012: 33/50
  • No. There are women that pay ridiculous sums of money trying to duplicate hair color like mine, even though they'll never attain a true natural redhead look. So I'd wouldn't dream of changing my color.

That being said, I have highlighted twice. And I once dyed my hair eggplant in high school (with a semi-perm dye). But that's it.

Mama's Clone - 07/18/12

• I voted yes but that said I haven't since Riley was born, and my plan is to stop. I hated my dark hair in HS and like many above colored it so often I didn't know what color it was. Now I have accepted my roots (pardon the pun) and dark hair and even kind of like it.
  • I voted yes, but I don't use dye.  I henna.  And I do it probably every 3 years or so.  So I guess it's more like a no...??
    . . . . . Happy Second Birthday ! 24m Marin is TWOOOOO! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker monkey'mae on etsy
  • Have I dyed in the past, yes. I had a pretty terrible relationship with Nice & Easy in high school!

As an adult, I've done highlights a few times, but I haven't done an all-over color change.

I'd still have highlights, but they got cut from the budget.

• No, I have never once dyed my hair, or even highlighted it, beyond the natural highlights being out in the sun too much gives me. I am starting to get a lot of gray, like serious streaks that are clearly visible, and I'm waffling on wether or not to let myself go gray super young, or to start dying it soon. ?I have always been so anti-dying that it feels like a crime to even think about dying it. But do I really want to be a 30 year old gray haired old lady in a few years? Hmmm. . .
  • I've only had all-over dye once and that was for a hair show - pink and purple streaks with a port-wine halo. It was so punk rock and awesome.

But I have people ask me who colors my hair and they always get so disappointed when I say "Nature."

I agree with the PP - people who don't have the natural redhead coloring who try to dye their hair a "natural" red color always look off...

I have that movie saved to my queue. Can't wait. Chris Rock is HILARIOUS.

• I don't dye my hair, and I never have.  I am starting to get a few grays (not surprising since I am in my 40s, after all!) and am starting to think about doing something about it other than pulling them out.  For some reason hair dye has always terrified me.

I am not really a red-redhead, but have always had lots of red - more of an auburn.  I am afraid of looking so fake if/when I start trying to cover the gray by replicating my natural color...

• I should mention that I do color mine lighter.  I have now have dark blonde hair naturally but I color it to be lighter.  I just added purple streaks a week ago.  
    imageimage
    107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
    Read 2012: 33/50
  • I said yes but I'll admit that mine is strictly a grey-coverage thing.  I could totally be Rogue with the white streak I've got in front.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have absolutely never permantently dyed my hair.  I don't know any other woman who hasn't too.
  • imageashleyhuney:
    I have absolutely never permantently dyed my hair.  I don't know any other woman who hasn't too.

Lara !!

• No.  But my real answer is... not "yet"!
  • imageGirlStylist:

imageashleyhuney:
    I have absolutely never permantently dyed my hair.  I don't know any other woman who hasn't too.

Lara !!

Oh, ok, I know one :)  Love her color!

• I don't think I've dyed for almost 20 years.
  • No dye here.  I have gotten a good chunk of change for selling my "virgin" hair.
  • imageGirlStylist:
    never have Wink
    LOL!

I hadn't in almost 10 years, but then 6 weeks ago, I took the leap.  And now I'm all dyed and highlighted, and addicted to it, and so happy I did it.

I have a fabulous stylist, so I'm nothing but glad I'm now a dye-er Wink 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yep. It's fun. I'll be doing it when I'm old and all the children in the neighborhood will know me as the old lady with the purple (or whatever crazy color) hair. Unless i've gone bald by then. then bring on the crazy wigs!!!
  • Currently, no, but I have in the past.
  • I'm another who's never dyed my hair.  I'm worried someday if I ever want to do it, I don't know what I'd do.
  • Save for the green, blue, and purple hair I had during HS...I have not dyed.

Ditto previous redhead posters...I am proud of my crazy orange hair and like to let it just be it's real color.

Happy Takes Work A family blog.
    Money Matters The other half's blog.
    EJ is growing up too fast!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I colored my hair Jet Black in HS. Made the mistake of picking permanent dye and had to grow it out. Yuck -- took for.ever... Since then I've tried Cherry Kola semi-permanent once in college. That was about it.

I know there'll be plenty of times to get my hair colored once I start going noticeably gray. Until then, I'm enjoying what I have.

• Absolutly.  I enjoy seasonal hair color changes.  I dye my hair a darker, cooler ash brown in the fall and winter, and summer and spring I let wander back to my natural glow.  I have a great stylist; his name is DH and I can always get an appointment. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I voted yes because I do now...highlights to cover the gray. Sad

But I didn't for years. Although that was after years of different hair color every 6 weeks - purple, black, red, brown, bleached blonde. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I get my hair highlighted now, but over last winter I dyed it a dark brown color...it was alright...I thought it would be easier than keeping up with all the highlights but it wasn't...and faded and looked awful. 

I think I'll just stick to highlights from now on.

• Gosh I've been doing it for awhile...mostly to cover my grays (which I have to admit I've been doing that for a long time, too). Sad
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"