Infertility

BCPs and IVF

So I have a question...

As I get ready for my first IVF, the doctor told me to use "barrier contraception" until starting Lupron in three weeks. I know most of the ladies on this board are on BCPs during this time. Is there any reason to go on the pill besides making sure you don't get pg before taking Lupron? Last night was our first time using condoms in a loooooong time and it kind of sucked.

Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!

Re: BCPs and IVF

• I have always heard that BCPs are used to suppress your ovaries.  I have never heard about them being used as contraceptive before an IVF cycle.

• imageLCB34:

I have always heard that BCPs are used to suppress your ovaries.  I have never heard about them being used as contraceptive before an IVF cycle.

Hmmmm... so should I worry that I'm not on them? 

Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

• Loading the player...
  • imageDragonfly1226:
    imageLCB34:

I have always heard that BCPs are used to suppress your ovaries.  I have never heard about them being used as contraceptive before an IVF cycle.

I'm not sure.  What protocol are you doing?  I have always seen them with Long Lupron.

• Sometimes they "over suppress" your system, so if your doctor thinks being on them will make you respond poorly to meds, you skip them.
  • imageLCB34:
    imageDragonfly1226:
    imageLCB34:

I'm not sure.  What protocol are you doing?  I have always seen them with Long Lupron.

I haven't had my class yet, but I'm going to be on Lupron, then Gonal F to stim. I guess I should wait until i have the class to start worrying. The Re should know what he's doing.

Unexplained Infertility

TTC #2

• imageDragonfly1226:
    imageLCB34:
    imageDragonfly1226:
    imageLCB34:

I haven't had my class yet, but I'm going to be on Lupron, then Gonal F to stim. I guess I should wait until i have the class to start worrying. The Re should know what he's doing.

Yep!  I agree that your RE probably knows what he's doing!

• My first IVF cycle, I wasn't on bcp -- just told to use barrier contraception. Somehow (we're guessing broken condom) we ended up getting pregnant. Since we clearly weren't expecting that, I started the Lupron shots and had my pre-op exam -- which we believe is what led to our miscarraige. So while I'm sure I'm a rare case, even if it seems silly don't skimp on the contraception! (since I'm new here, I'll also add that we have been ttc for 26 months, with 5 IUI's and a diagnosis of unexplained infertility, and no pregnancies before that irony of all ironies)

For my second IVF (just had the transfer on Sunday), the Dr decided to put me on bcp only after the cycle after my m/c was completely wacky (after 40 days, I never ovulated and was eventually given provera). She said it was the only way to actually ensure my timing (starting Lupron on day X, etc). Aside from that, there was not a suppression reason behind going on bcp. Good luck with your cycle!

• imagekings_queen:

My first IVF cycle, I wasn't on bcp -- just told to use barrier contraception. Somehow (we're guessing broken condom) we ended up getting pregnant. Since we clearly weren't expecting that, I started the Lupron shots and had my pre-op exam -- which we believe is what led to our miscarraige. So while I'm sure I'm a rare case, even if it seems silly don't skimp on the contraception! (since I'm new here, I'll also add that we have been ttc for 26 months, with 5 IUI's and a diagnosis of unexplained infertility, and no pregnancies before that irony of all ironies)

For my second IVF (just had the transfer on Sunday), the Dr decided to put me on bcp only after the cycle after my m/c was completely wacky (after 40 days, I never ovulated and was eventually given provera). She said it was the only way to actually ensure my timing (starting Lupron on day X, etc). Aside from that, there was not a suppression reason behind going on bcp. Good luck with your cycle!

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm so sorry about your loss. I really hope this IVF cycle is it for you! 

Unexplained Infertility

TTC #2

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"