Stay at Home Moms

Have you tried Nana's Apple Cake by Tastefully Simple?

I love it, but paying $6.50 for the mix makes my eye twitch. I've been trying to replicate the recipe, and today I tried this (found it online). It's not exact, but pretty close. I halved the recipe, except I reduced the shortening to 1 tbs., used 2 cups of apples, pressed the mixture into a 9x9 greased pan, and baked for 35 minutes. The flavor is divine and the top turns out crinkly and crispy while the rest stays moist and gooey-ish. I made it at 6pm and it's already gone!

If anyone else has successfully found a replica of TS's cake, let me know!

This recipe is so similar to TS's recipe, I wouldn't doubt if this is the one they used. I cook for a crowd, so I doubled the recipe and submitted it below. If you're serving a smaller group, cut the recipe in half and bake it in an 8x8.

APPLE CAKE

1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg or mace
1 tsp. ground ginger
6 cups peeled, diced tart apples

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and add to mixture. Stir in apples. Spoon into greased 11 x 13 pan.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Have you tried Nana's Apple Cake by Tastefully Simple?

• I you know a consultant, you may be able to buy last season's sample from them cheap.  I got them for $1 a peice from a friend of mine.
  • No dice.

I'll tell you what, though, tonight's apple cake was a hit. I think the family may like it better than TS's version- it's the crunchy top that impressed them. Personally, I still like TS's mix better.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm going to have to try this one! I'm actually a TS consultant, but just found a great beer bread recipe and now I'll never buy theirs again! But shhhhh....don 't tell anyone!
  • My lips are sealed!

Care to share the recipe? I like TS's beer bread, too, but not enough to spend the $$ on it.

By the way, have you tasted the cinnamon melt-away muffins yet? I ordered them going by the consultant's raves. I also ordered the apple cheese ball mix- that sounded really yummy.

• imagetaylormillgirl:

My lips are sealed!

Care to share the recipe? I like TS's beer bread, too, but not enough to spend the $$ on it.

By the way, have you tasted the cinnamon melt-away muffins yet? I ordered them going by the consultant's raves. I also ordered the apple cheese ball mix- that sounded really yummy.

It's from picklemomskitchen.blogspot.com    and here's the recipe

Easy Bread Recipe

This recipe is Molly Jean's. She says its great with chili. I have no doubts!!!

3 cups of flour
    3 tbsp sugar
    1 12oz can of beer
    1 tsp salt
    3 tsp baking powder

Mix everything together by hand and put the mixture into a greased bread pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and TA-DA! Amazing bread!

before you put it in the oven, spread some melted butter on top, and then repeat right when it comes out of the oven. It's so good!!! LOVE the cinnamon melt-aways! I am actually tasting the apple cheese ball tonight and am very much looking forward to that!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"