Upstate NY Babies

Consignment shops

Do any of you guys have consignment stores you shop at?

I have one really close to me, it didn't start out so good but it's awesome now!  So much new or barely used stuff.

For example - went to BRU and they didn't have any carseat protectors left. (WTH!!)  And of course I need one by the weekend.  I found one that runs about $30 brand new, and it looks brand new, but was $5 at the consignment shop! 

And unused SmartWool baby socks for $3, and a bunch of puzzles for DD for while I'm in the hospital for very cheap.

Not only do I love these stores but I can't wait to get rid of stuff as the kids grow up.

Re: Consignment shops

• No, but I should check it out.  I do use craigslist for a lot of the baby stuff but it would be convenient to just check out a store periodically.
  • We have several shops in my area and this is a frequent topic on our local playgroup message board.  Most of the stores around here a seriously NOT kid friendly, and they are flat out rude if you bring your child in with you and the kid touches ANYTHING or whines!  And they are very over priced!  Most moms say they shopped there a few times before they knew any better.  I went in one of the shops one time and saw a starter set of Brest Flow bottle, new in packaging, for $18.  You can buy the same exact set at Baby Depot for $14, and I picked up my set when they were on sale for 25% off.  So the consignment store price was nearly double the store price.  I have never consigned with any of the stores, but I have heard horror stories from other moms who say the stores are so hard to deal with.  Overall everyone seemed to agree that the shop owners would rather buy everything for their stores at yard sales than consign.  And they DO go to yard sales, they will run you right over for the good deals!  Then come back at the end of the sale and offer a really low price to take what ever is left, that part isn't really a bad thing except it makes them not want to consign.  I only know of two stores in my area that moms seem to like, and about 5, 2 in particular, that people absolutely hate.  And they also staulk Craigslist for stuff.  Sometimes I just think it is unfair in that I feel like I am competing for stuff people are selling with the consignment shop owners.  One store owner is really good at getting stuff on FreeCycle
  • Loading the player...
  • Smartwool baby socks for $3!?! I'm jealous.
    Photobucket
    Charlie 11.01.07 ~ Paul 05.07.10 ~ Annaliese 02.24.12
  • imagejnk062602:
    No, but I should check it out.  I do use craigslist for a lot of the baby stuff but it would be convenient to just check out a store periodically.

My sister found this one in Fairport that she RAVES about. I think it's right in the village. It's only name brand stuff! She said friends of her walk out of there with garbage bags full of clothes costing hardly anything.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"