Upstate NY Babies

Did you have some kind of schedule?

I will be trying to BF and do it on demand in the beginning and I'm all about napping when the baby does- but I want to try and keep some kind of schedule for showering, eating, and such myself...so did you have a schedule when LO was born? did it work? did you just roll with it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Did you have some kind of schedule?

• I basically just rolled with it and did those things when I could.  My son did not like to be put down a lot so showering was tough.  Luckily I was able to shower daily but it meant bringing the bassinet in the bathroom and then showering as fast as I could before he'd start crying.  I'm not sure having a schedule is realistic with a newborn.  You just have to work around the baby's schedule since they seem to call the shots....lol!
    Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Do you  have a pump?  The best thing I did was try to pump once a day.  Then, when you are exhausted you can sleep thru a feeding and DH can feed  LO. It was hard to find a time to pump so now I just pump one side while she nurses on the other side first thing in the morning.  For some reason I get as much out this way as pumping both sides in an extra session.  Now that I am not as exhausted I freeze the milk or use it during a growth spurt day.

As far as showering, I just hop in for 5-10 minutes while DH holds her or she is happy in the swing.  I eat while nursing, but she also nurses for 45 minutes at a time and I know some babies are a lot shorter. 

• Loading the player...
  • Nope.. and still don't.. It doesn't bother me though.
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • I was surprised at how hard it is to keep any type of schedule.  The only thing that I try to stick with is BF every 2 hours like the pediatrician has recommended.  I also had to pump after each feeding until yesterday as my milk was late coming in, because he was 3 weeks early.  I now just pump when I want the extra milk.  The thing that I have found I have the littlest time for is eating...I do now wish I had made some things ahead of time, but we are making do.  DH has been incredible.  He has off until next Tuesday and I do not know what I would have done without him here this week.  I am getting very little sleep as I find it hard to settle down, but I am able to function.  Today I was able to take a few naps.  I shower whenever I get the chance.  I even took a relaxation shower last night, just because I had a little extra time.   
    imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's really hard to maintain a schedule with a baby.  You just never know when they're going to be sleeping, hungry, or crying.  I didn't get into a real schedule until DD was around 7 or 8 months.  For me early on, I considered it a good day if I had showered and eaten all of my meals.  The time that I ate or showered varied wildly, but I did get all of it accomplished.
  • rolled with it until a schedule gradually formed, though i'm not sure if it the schedule was created by him, me, or a combination of both of us, but it happened just before i went to work- thankfully;

although the schedule will get a little scrambled on the weekends and with introducing rice cereal this past weekend we've been making adjustments here & there

with BFing though it's really important to keep up with either feeding or pumping regularly in order to keep up production

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I woudln't try to go with any schedule per se.  You'll want to be flexible for the baby.  Just do what you can/want while the baby sleeps and listen to your body/recovery.  If you're tired, sleep.  Then when you're rested and the baby  is sleeping, take a nap when you can.  Don't push yourself too hard, but you also will want that normalcy where you are doing things as usual as well. 

As a SAHM, I totally never believed either in forcing DD into any kind of schedule, but I'm sort of referring to later (like waking her at a time or putting her to bed at a particular time - I just went with her signals).

• I just rolled with it. I FF, but I still fed him on demand, which was every 3 hours or so. Some days I had the energy to shower right away, other days I waited until DH got home from work. After a while, I would bring the bouncy chair into the bathroom, and he'd hang out there while I showered. The sound of the water usually put him to sleep (he was a huge fan of white noise in those days). Don't put any demands on yourself - just see how things happen and eventually you'll figure out a routine that works for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"