Parenting after a Loss
Options

She's not back to birthweight at 2 weeks...

She supposedly weighed 7lbs 8oz at birth (although DH and I think it was 7lb 6oz, since that is when we snapped the photo of her still on the scale.), weighed 6lb 15oz at last weeks appt and now on 7lb almost 2 oz.

She BF's all the time! 10-20 minutes every 1.5 hrs to max 3 every now and again. Dr says she isnt worried cause she looks great and healthy, but we have to go back in again at 3 weeks to recheck weight. Anyone else go through this?

Also I started pumping today, talked with Dr and she said doing a bottle here and there to get DH involved would also be good because we would know exactly what she is getting. Pumped on right side an hour after she had eaten on that same side and got 1 oz, is that reasonable?

TIA ladies!

Re: She's not back to birthweight at 2 weeks...

• Options
    i think that sounds reasonable, she's still very young and her stomach doesn't hold much. if she had just eaten an hour before i wouldn't be worried. ds had trouble getting back to birthweight too, just remember that bf babies gain slower. we fed him every two hours during the day and let him wake up at night when he was hungry (which was about every 2-3hr) and that seemed to work.
  • Options
    We went through this, but Kate was actually losing weight again at two weeks (we had a lot of problems with weight gain/BFing/getting her to eat).  We had to go back for another weight check and continue waking her every 2-3 hours to eat.     
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

EC wasn't up to her birthweight at 2 weeks but she was gaining.  We had to go in at 1 week and 2 weeks, so the dr wasn't concerned.

Just keep waking her to feed and hopefully next week she will be back up there and you can let her sleep.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Adriann wasn't at her birthweight either and was bf'ing about the same schedule as your daughter. The doctor wasn't concerned and just said to try not to pay attention to schedules too much. If she seemed hungry, feed her. We did this and by her 1 month appt, she was gaining good weight.

I started pumping around 2 weeks as well and it really helped me emotionally. Things were really strained the first few weeks because no one could help with feedings. But we introduced the bottle with pumped milk at about 4 weeks old and she never had any nipple confusion.

GL! Your daughter is adorable!

• Options

Wesley was almost back to birth weight yesterday.  We had to go back yesterday because he was not back to birth weight at his 2 week appointment.  We are pump and feeding because he can't latch so we know exactly how much he is eating, but it is taking time.  Since I exclusively pump if I pump within and hour or so of just pumping an ounce is pretty typical.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"