High-Risk Pregnancy

Two Vessel Cord - Induction

At my 20 week ultrasound, we found out our baby has a two-vessel umbilical cord.  I had an amnio done and everything came back normal.  I have also been going for my biophysical profiles every week since 34 weeks.  Everything has been looking fine on those tests as well.  At my 37 week appointment, my doctor was discussing induction with me because of the SUA.  He said there is a theory that the placenta may not work as well as I progress in my pregnancy because of the SUA.  He said it is a bit of a grey area in medicine, but he would reccomend the induction.They are planning to induce me two days before my due date. 

Has anyone's doctor discussed induction with them b/c of a SUA?  I have been trying to find information about it on the internet and some websites say induction puts too much stress on a baby with a SUA.  I feel like I should trust my doctor.  I don't think he would put my baby in harm, but I am starting to second guess my decision.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Two Vessel Cord - Induction

• I have heard of it but my doctor didn't. I had a scheduled repeat c-section at 39 weeks 4 days. Glad to report DD is now 2+ weeks old and is perfectly healthy and beautiful! Best of luck to you!
  • My doctor told me that because of the SUA they wouldn't let me go past my due date, so induction might be necessary. I'm *really* hoping we can avoid it. I guess I'll get a better sense as my pregnancy goes on and we have more growth scans (I'll be having them weekly starting at month 8). I'll be interested to read what others' docs have said!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had that(SUA) but only had an addt'l u/s at 28wks....nothing was ever mentioned about inducing.  I was making progress on my own so I asked to be induced at 39+ weeks b/c I didn't want to go late....DH had some conference to be at a few weeks after my due date.  I ended up going into labor on my own at 38w, 6d and ended with a c-sect b/c of failure to progress after hitting 9.5 cm and stalling.

I never had a growth scan....my last u/s was at 28 weeks I think. 

Megan--Mommy to Owen 1.10.07 and Gibson 5.11.10
  • I had a SUA with DS and my OB did bring up induction.  We never really discussed it in depth since I pretty much knew I was going to be induced anyway for high bp issues (was induced at 39 weeks in 2 previous pg).  

I did end up being induced at 37 weeks due to pre-e.  DS handled labor very well and was delivered vaginally after about 5 hours of pretty easy labor. SUA was never an issue during delivery.  The pre-e was another story.

DS is a perfectly healthy 3 month old now.  

• I had a SUA w/ #2, and like your pg, it went smoothly other than that.  Induction was mentioned in passing, but I ended up going into labor on my own at 37w4d.  My own (totally non-medical) theory is that the cord/placenta weren't doing their job as well and nature did its thing.  My girls were born at 40wks and 38w5d, respectively, which is what makes me wonder...  Maybe you could just wait on making a decision since you may deliver early, anyway?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"