Blended Families

I feel so bad for DH tonight...

Its the night his son is at our house and DH is tied up at work and isnt home and most likely wont get to see him before  his mom comes to get him.

SS and I were able to fill out the paper work for the part time job he is starting soon and also filled out the paper work for him to get a learners permit to drive.  Those are things a bio parent wants to do...or at least if I were his bio-mom I'd want to do them!!   In fact, SS already said somethign to me about taking him to get his permit because both bio parents  dont get out of work early enough to take him.   I am gonna call DMV to be sure I can take him as long as we have all the right paperwork they require. 

The only "up" side to all this is that SS and I are getting closer.

Re: I feel so bad for DH tonight...

• Mom probably just figured he could do the papers himself...anyone who is old enough to drive should be able to fill out job applications and learner's permits by themselves...
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • imagemom2one:
    Mom probably just figured he could do the papers himself...anyone who is old enough to drive should be able to fill out job applications and learner's permits by themselves...

I think you might be giving a 15/16yo too much credit. I think it is possible with many, yes, but not all. If he was looking for help, would you deny him?

And OP, you should be able to bring him. My grandparents brought me. I just happened to be with them, and we stopped by.

• Loading the player...
  • imageshortyred919:

imagemom2one:
    Mom probably just figured he could do the papers himself...anyone who is old enough to drive should be able to fill out job applications and learner's permits by themselves...

I think you might be giving a 15/16yo too much credit. I think it is possible with many, yes, but not all. If he was looking for help, would you deny him?

And OP, you should be able to bring him. My grandparents brought me. I just happened to be with them, and we stopped by.

Honestly, it's just paperwork.  I would want to be there for the actual receiving of the license but when I got my permit I had to legally go with my driving instructor.  As for filing out paperwork, if he cannot do it himself (maybe have to ask you for the answers to a few questions but him filing it out by himself) then he is not ready for driving.  And I have a 19yo SD and this was an issue I dealt with - she TOLD me I HAD to call the driving school to setup her appointments and I told her that it was not my responsibility, it is hers!  I wish that my response was that if she is not read for the responsibility than the test would be postponed.  Harsh, maybe, but driving is a huge responsibility.

That said, I feel bad that your DH is stuck at work instead of hanging out with his son.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • I didnt fill out the paper work. I was there for him if he had questions.  I supplied him with his SS # ( what kid knows that???) and double checked the papers to be sure he did them correctly and filled in all the blanks.  I feel sorry for any 15 yr old who doesnt have a parent that wouldnt do that.

As for him being old enough to do the paper work himself? yes he is, but I work in an office where full grown adults dont always complete the employees papers correctly!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"