North Carolina Babies

Space heater in DC room??

Jocelyn's room is upstairs, and it is really the only room up there that we use. There is a large bonus room and two additional rooms up there, plus a bathroom. We really don't want to heat all that space all winter. Our living room and foyer are open to upstairs, and we will turn downstairs heat on, but we need to figure out how to keep her room nice and warm.

I know some people use heaters, but it makes me so nervous, does anyone use one they can recommend?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Space heater in DC room??

• We did use a heater in Eli's room last winter.  It's one of the oil space heaters, I don't know what they're called.  We just put it in the middle of the room where it wasn't close to anything and far out of his reach, and left the door to his room open so it wouldn't get too hot.  Our heater has a thermostat too, I would definitely get one that had one.  I'm not sure if we'll use one again this winter, since he's older and more likely to want to touch it.  He's still in his crib, but we play in his room more now and he's walking now.

ETA:  I also am not sure if a space heater will be enough.  I think I would probably turn the heat on and just keep it really low, and use a heater in addition to that. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't use a space heater. What if you turn the heat on upstairs but close the vents in the other rooms. We also have these magnetic things you can put over the vents to cover them better. That might cost a little more money in the long run but I would feel a lot safer.
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't use one in DC room. I see too many accidents from them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i (obviously) can't speak in regards to having a kid, but we have one similar to this (ours is honeywell but i can't remember the model) that has an auto shutoff for tipping over and over heating.  it works really well heating and we've tipped it over ourselves and don't have problems w/ it shutting off.  we got it when we got the dog, i want to say it was from walmart.

ETA: we use it in our bedroom, which is 11x12 (?) and it heats very well.  we keep the rest of the house cold at night in the winter.

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • We have small space heaters in both kids rooms. They are the extra safety kind that are completely encased in plastic and do not get hot to touch at all. I think they are Honeywell brand.
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"