North Carolina Babies
Options

disappointed - MIL gift, DH vent

So I've been talking about getting Natalie her first tea set for Christmas for months now.  I've mentioned this to DH numerous times.  This has always been something I wanted to do for my girls (get them their first tea set) -- mostly because my mom and I never did anything like that together and I'd like to with my girls.  Well, I was excited to see the one I wanted was available with free shipping and I had a coupon so I mention this to DH. 

His response -- oh, I think my mom was getting her a tea set.  WTF!  I tell him no, she can't, it's our gift to her.  I then find out she was getting it for her to keep at her house (they live in MN) which is fine but I'm still thinking this is something she'd be getting later which would be fine.  I still want to get her her first tea set.  Nope, turns out MIL has already gotten her one for this weekend (we're going to MN on Friday).  WTF!  Why didn't DH mention this to his mother???  How many times do I need to mention that this is something I wanted to do for DH to get that it's important to me??  I guess next time I'm going to have be very explicit about wanting to do something as her mother.  I'm really disappointed that her first tea set now isn't from me.  I was super excited about this!  I suppose Natalie won't remember that she spent a weekend in MN playing with a tea set before I got her one for Christmas -- but I will.  :(  I'm so bummed.  I know I'm probably being ridiculous. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: disappointed - MIL gift, DH vent

• Options
    I don't think you are ridiculous at all. I would be upset too. FWIW I can't say anything about stuff I want to get the kids b/c then my mom runs out and gets a bigger/better one immediately. So annoying!
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• Options

Oh no!  I don't think you are being ridiculous either.  You are right, Natalie won't remember but I can understand why you are disappointed.  You may have to keep your lips completely sealed or like you said be extremely explicit about it being from YOU, not anyone else.

I can totally see something like this happening with us too.  I just don't think our DHs understand how important stuff like this is to us.  I can see MIL asking him about a gift idea and him saying "well, I heard (me) say something about a ...(fill in the blank and watch my idea get stolen)" Ugg! 

Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMrsLee04:
    One year (can't remember which one now?) she bought them xmas outfits she wanted them to wear on xmas day even though *I* had already bought them xmas outfits and it has always been something I really want to do for them every year (incidentally, they wore mine, not hers...lol). 

My mom has done this to me too.  Another thing I planned on doing too.  When we told my mom we were having a girl with my first pg, my mom brought out a dress that she'd bought in case we had a girl for her first Christmas -- yeah, I nixed that one.  I had Natalie wear it for Christmas Eve instead.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I don't think you're being ridiculous, I think its completely justified!

I know how you feel though.  We gave the girls a charm bracelet for their first Christmas so that each year we could give them a charm to add to it that is special to that year.  Well, my MIL is all the time giving them charms, but she's never given them a charm bracelet.  I think she thinks they're going on the bracelets that we bought them, but I have told DH that they will NOT be going on those bracelets, those are something special from us to them!  Maybe thats selfish, but I don't care!

• Options

Awww I would be super upset too.  I'm sorry Racey :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"