Pennsylvania Babies

Thoughts, Prayers & Advice

I feel like each month I'm asking for more T&P, but I know how supportive you ladies are, and I'm feeling emotionally deflated, so here goes... :) And sorry this is going to be so long!

Friday we went for another ultrasound at our OB office (as requested by the perinatologist to do some follow-up work. Thankfully, the contractions that were happening late July/August have completely stopped, but this ultrasound was to now check my amniotic fluid levels, since at my August ultrasound to check my contractions it measured on the higher end, just above the normal range. So, the OB started doing the measurements of the amnio fluid and said that she would do some growth measurements as well, although this wasn't the reason for the scan. The first measurements of the head, arms, and legs all looked good and measured right on target. She then did some additional abdomen cavity measurements that were measuring in the 27 week range (I was 29 weeks still Fri). She didn't seem too concerned and said that in the third trimester, measurements can vary plus/minus up to two or three weeks.

Then, when she did all of the averages and calculations, it averaged the baby at 28 weeks, pushing my date back 8 days, and put her weight at just over 2 lbs. Technically, she should be at 3 lbs now that I'm 30 weeks. My fundal measurements are also measuring about 3-4 cm lower than they should be. The OB said that her weight was only in the 3rd percentile, and for this reason wanted me to return to the perinatologist for a growth scan to see what was going on. She told us not to be overly alarmed since it is just one scan, and that the perinatologist would be able to perform a more in-depth scan to check her growth. We of course questioned what may have caused this (all other ultrasounds have been fine, why a sudden change?) and what the worse-case scenario would be. Worse-case scenario is that if we go back to the perinatologist and she still hasn't gained weight, that they'll start to give me steriod shots to develop her lungs faster and then deliver early, possibly within two weeks. Of course, we weren't prepared to hear any of this, just going in thinking that we were checking my amnio levels, which were on the high-normal range and not even something to be overly alarmed about. 

The only thing that we have changed since my August scan was my diet. The peri thought that maybe a high carb intake might have elevated my levels, so I basically started following the GD diet as instructed, although I was low when I went for my GD test. Part of me is upset, wondering if the diet change could possibly have affected any of this. Now we're not looking at my carb intake, but trying to get as much protein in as possible, as instructed by the OB. I'm even adding in high-protein Ensure drinks as a supplement to try to boost her weight.

Emotionally, DH and I have been so up and down. On one hand, we believe that when we go to the peri next Monday, all will be fine. All of these other problems have always resolved themselves, so why can't this too? We also don't feel that the OB did a full measurement scan on Friday and wonder how much this can affect the results (although we're probably just looking for someone/something to blame). On the other hand, we're honestly just scared of getting bad news next week.

I want to blame myself although I know that I shouldn't and that this situation is probably nothing that I have any control over, which makes me feel even more helpless. At least when I was having contractions, I knew that she was safe and healthy and I just need to do my part and stay off my feet. Now I'm just worried about her well-being. While we try not to talk or dwell about it too much in one day, I can tell that DH is also stressed and worried. While we know the worst-case scenario of having a baby in two weeks is "worst-case", especially since we know nothing right now,  it changes our perspective on things.

So, if you've made it this far, I'd appreciate any thoughts and prayers you could send our way. I feel like it has been a frustrating road since July and honestly, I just don't know what to think. 

Despite all of this, am I crazy to say that I still love being pregnant and wouldn't trade it for anything? 

Re: Thoughts, Prayers & Advice

• wow, I'm sorry that is so long. :(   However, I think typing it all out is good therapy. And it's free.
  • Wow, that is a lot to take in and I am sorry you?re going through this. I hope all works out next week and keep us updated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • As someone who had a difficult pregnancy with many ups and downs, I totally understand your frustrations. And she's right, we were expecting a nine pound baby and ended up with a 7 pound baby, so they can be very off, depending on the position, the ultrasound tech and the doctor. I also had those steroid shots at 30 weeks because they thought I'd be delivering early as well. My goal at that time was to make it to 32 weeks, and I ended up being induced at 39 weeks. So while you were dealt a blow today, please know that these things can turn around very quickly. Good luck, and we're all thinking of you - keep us posted!
  • I don't have any advice, but I'm sending thoughts and prayers your way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know how stressed you must be.  We had an U/S that showed my fluid levels to be on the low side and spent 3 weeks stressing that there were issues until a follow up.  That scan also showed baby to be on the small side. 

The next U/S 3 weeks later showed our fluid levels were within the normal range.  They also put him in a much higher percentile for his size and the Dr there that day ALSO said he had an abnormally large abdomen.  When we questioned what all this meant he said "We won't know til he's born.  Don't expect a 6 or 7 pound baby though."  ?!?!?  I left that U/S so frustrated and called my OB right away for more of an explanation.  He told us this was nothing to worry about and probably had more to do with whatever he ate that morning or his positioning.

The one thing we've learned from all the U/S that we've had and our personal experience is that they can be off . . by a considerable amount.  The first scan compared to the second scan was so considerably different within just 3 weeks.  I personally think it had ALOT to do with the tech we had that day.  All my U/S were done by one particular girl while the one with low fluid levels and small weight were performed by another woman.

I'll be thinking about you.  ((HUGS!))

• Thanks ladies :) While we won't have answers for another week, it is reassuring to hear that others have run into this or similar things, only to hear the opposite at the next scan or to have everything turn out fine. While today's medical technologies are obviously useful, sometimes I feel that life would be more stressful without some of this unwarrented worry.

Thanks for helping me feel better. Hopefully next Monday will come quickly and bring good news! 

• I'm sorry you're going through this, and I hope everything works out OK.   I'll be thinking of you. 

• I reiterate everything rlthomas said!  It is difficult when your pregnancy is not "normal".  I sure hope you can get some good, encouraging answers and I will pray that all is well with you and your little one.
  • Hope everything works out for you!!!!
  • I am sure you are scared, but as others have said, things can change very quickly.  I know this week will be torture for you until you are able to get some answers, but try to keep your mind busy doing other things.  Easier said than done, I know!  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. 
  • I'm thinking of you and hoping you'll receive better news at your next appt.

I completely agree that the technology is great but can cause some unnecessary concerns.  At our big u/s they couldn't see his hands and his heart measurements were off.  I wished they wouldn't have told me.  I was so freaked that I paid for another u/s at Womb With A View just to see his hands.  All was normal at our next scan.

{Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"