Two Under 2
Options

Anyone flown with your 2U2?

I am in the process of booking our holiday flights to PA from CA....cross country.  The baby will be 10 wks and DS 23 mos.  I am getting DS a seat definately but plan to have the baby on my lap.  I wouldn't even consider it, but MIL is really sick and this may be her last Christmas, plus she won't have met her granddaughter yet.

SO, any tips?  Care to share your experiences?  Did you bring a stroller/double stroller?  We have everything there that we need, my mom has the carseats, crib, packn play so we don't need that stuff, but I am sure we will still bring a crapload!

Re: Anyone flown with your 2U2?

• Options

I haven't flown with 2 yet, but I suggest trying to get the very front row so if the kids cry you only have one row behind you and no one in front of you.  The other thing is fly at night, so your 23 month old has a chance to possibly fall asleep.

Hope your MIL feels better!

• Options
     If I were you, I'd book the three bulkhead seats.  This will prevent any seat-kicking and also give you more space.  Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We flew to Alabama from Arizona when the kids were 23 months and 9 months.  DD sat on our laps and enjoyed looking out the window.  DS was in a carseat and slept 90% of the time.  We took 2 umbrella strollers since I hate bulky strollers and we don't use a double.  It was harder because we had to bring carseats, beds and luggage.  We made sure we had a long layover so we could change diapers, play and eat.  The kids did great and it wasn't that bad.
  • Options

We flew with #1 was 19 months and #2 was 3 weeks. We used an umbrella stroller and a front carrier. Most airlines will only allow umbrella strollers, and bulky strollers are a pain anyways.

We had both kids as lap children. Which worked fine, although we couldn't all sit together on all the flights, because some of the planes only allow one lap child per row (due to only one extra oxygen mask).

Packing carry ones is a delicate balance. You want to have extra clothes and diapers (because babies always tend to have blow outs at 10000 feet) as well as toys for your older one, but you don't want to be lugging around a ton of stuff.

BIG TIP! Have long layovers! One hour is the barest minium. two or three hours is better. That gives you enough time to change diapers, get something to eat, and allow your older one time to run around (more and more airports have children's play areas).

Take advantage of family lines through security. And even though you are allowed to bring food and liquids for kids, make sure you have it separated at security, so they don't have to dig through your diaper bag for that half filled sippy cup.

Baby #1 edd 4/21/07 - Matthias James born 5/2/07, 9 lbs, 22 in

Baby # 2 edd 11/26/08 - Ezra Jacob born 11/29/08, 9 lbs 6 oz., 21 3/4 in

Baby #3 edd 05/04/13 - Titus Jude born 05/01/13, 9 lb 5 oz. 21.5 in

• Options

Definitely double stroller.  If you have a sling or carrier, I'd bring that too.  Check your car seats, PNP and luggage at the curb.  Do e-ticket check in the day before if you can.  When you get to the airport, put them in the stroller and don't take anything out until you get through security.  If you're taking sippies/bottles, put them in a separate bag that you can easily remove from your carry on b/c you'll need to give that to them separately.  Same thing with things like diaper cream or any other liquids.  They'll probably put you through a special line at security.  Wear slip on shoes, you'll need to take off your coat and shoes, so do that before you take out the baby.  Go through first with your baby, then have your toddler walk thru and then your DH after all of your stuff goes thru.  Just take your time getting everything back together. 

Make sure you go to the bathroom and change diapers, etc. before you board the plane.  Give each child a sippy/bottle/feeding on ascent and descent - or at least a paci.  Portable DVD player, new little toys, crayons/paper, new treats, juice, etc. whatever it takes to keep #1 happy for the plane ride.  #1 will probably need to take a couple walks up and down the aisle.  GL!  It will work out great. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"