South Florida Babies
Options

RP: The importance of the NT Scan

I posted this on the 1st tri board...because I read a lot of people going back and forth on the NT Test...I wanted to  share this with all of you as well so that you know what I have been through and am going through.

IF YOU ARE EASILY UPSET PLEASE DO NOT READ!!! I AM NOT TRYING TO GET ANYONE MORE FREAKED OUT

Please do not read if you are easily upset....but I wanted to share...and please no flames

This week has been a rough week. I was just about to hit 12 weeks and very excited to finally share the news with all of my friends and family. I had the glucose test last week early because I had, had GD last time and was so thrilled because I past the test. However they found out that my cervix was inflamed so I had to take some cream to calm it down.

The cream led to spotting so I had to see my obgyn on Wed. It was all about my cervix and I saw my baby dancing around and was happy again.

Thursday I went for the optional NT Scan. I always think it is better to be prepared then anything else. I have a healthy son and did it with him as well. Not to mention their sonos are 100 times better.

So my husband and sister went with me and they measured the baby and gave me no inclination that anything was wrong. I was just so happy to see a healthy beating heart that was all that mattered.

Fast forward to yesterday morning. I was getting my son ready for school when the perinatologist called. He must not have been in yesterday because I am assuming the sono tech would have brought him right in. He told me he thought he saw a problem with the baby's abdominal wall. He thought it was not forming right.

We rushed to his office...and I was trying to stay positive because in some cases he said it could be fixed right after birth and those babies do very well.

After having another sono we could all see what I was afraid of. The stomach was not closed. This is a Dr I trust with my life and he thinks I have a very bad case of this abdominal wall defect which would mean a more than 30% chance of other chromosonal defects. He said we had options...and could wait till 20 weeks to find out more but then at 22 weeks we could find out there are other heart and brain issues.

It was with more pain then I can explain in words that we have decided to terminate. He does not think this baby would be viable outside and that is a pain I am not willing to put myself or my family through.

A very hard part for me has been that I had just announced to everyone the day before that I was pg and was so excited. Now this time next week I will not be.

The Dr said this happens about once or twice a year and is just a fluke thing. He said we have a 1% chance of it happening again but those are about the same odds as everyone else. For some reason I could not win the lottery but this is what I got.

He also said we can try again in 3 months if we want...and I just want to get to tuesday and have it over with...I have not stopped crying about my broken baby...and I know this is the right choice for us.

I am scared at the thought of what if I had waited.

Anyway I just wanted to share because I know some people go back and forth on the importance of this test. For most people it will come out fine...it is just so important for piece of mind.

a very heart broken,

Beth

Re: RP: The importance of the NT Scan

• Options
    Oh Beth, my heart hurts for all that you are going through. I just wanted to tell you that I havent stopped thinking of you since yesterday. Lots of hugs, big big hugs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. I wish I could fastforward to Tuesday for you. Hang in there sweetie! ((HUGS))
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, Beth.  I'm so sorry you and Josh have to go through this.  My heart aches for you and your family.  I wish you nothing but the best and just know that I'm thinking of you.  ((hugs))
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Beth - you are very brave and strong for posting this and letting others know what you are going through.  My heart hurts for you and this impossible situation you are faced with.  I am so sorry that this was not meant to be :(  

I will be thinking of you and your family.

image image

• Options
    I'm so sorry that you and Josh are going through this.  You made a very tough decision, but one that would be best in the end.  Hang in there.  It will be hard, but I hope you can find comfort.  {{hugs}}

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    It's Beshert
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this....prayers to you and your family :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ohhh Beth, I am so deeply sorry for your loss. Thanks for posting your story. My heart hurts for you and your family and of course your little baby. My prayers and thoughts are with all of you. 

Hugs

Barbie 

• Options
    I am so very sorry that you're going through this. You guys are in my prayers. Thank you for posting this. Stay strong, everything happens for a reason.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i am so sorry you are going through this. thank you for sharing your story.
  • Options
    ((hugs)) and lots of prayers for you and your family
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am so, so sorry for your loss, Beth... my heart hurts for you and your family. :( The 12 week NT scan wasn't even offered to me for some reason, I don't know why (just the blood test at 16 wks)... but I do know that the next time I TTC I will not be choosing a doctor who does not offer this test. Thank you so much for taking the time and being brave enough to share your story. xoxo
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• Options
    Oh Beth, I'm so sorry you and your husband have had to make such a tough decision, my heart goes out to you :(
  • Options
    Beth, I could only imagine what it is to make probably the most difficult decision in one's life. You and your husband are so brave. Although things did not go as planned this time, I hope your hearts are able to heal soon and look forward to much brighter days ahead.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

I am so sorry Beth. Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone. My doctor also does not offer this test. I only knew to request it because of the girls on this board. We all learn so much from each other here. I hope Tues comes and goes quickly for you so you can begin to move on. I would have made the same decision. ((HUGS)))

• Options

I am so so sorry. What a horrible thing to go through, I can't even imagine. *hugs*

My doctor didn't even ask if I wanted the NT scan, I also only knew from this board to request one so it's a very good PSA and a test I plan to do every time

• Options

Beth, my heart aches for you and your family.  I'm thinking of you during this difficult time. 

Thank you for taking the time to write this.  I know that it's going to help other women. 

• Options
    Thank you for sharing your story; I'm sure it was a difficult thing to do.  My heart breaks for you.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  ::Hugs::
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    oh beth, i'm so incredibly sorry.  thank you for sharing this story, though.  like many others, my ob doesn't do this exam.  i did it last time b/c i was high risk and I asked my new ob this time around if I was going to have it again and he said he didn't ever perform them.  that there was no need for me to.  i think i'm going to call him back.  lots of prayers for strength your way. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry, Beth...my heart hurts for you guys :( I really think you made the right decision as difficult as I can imagine it was. I wish you guys a lot of peace and healing in the next few weeks and months. ::hugs::
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Beth, I am so sorry.  When you posted the other day, I thought you were only a few weeks along.  Something like this is just heartbreaking.   I am so so sorry.

Be strong. 

• Options

You are very brave for sharing this with us Beth, my heart goes out to you and your family.

xoxoxoxoxoxo

• Options
    Beth - I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this very difficult situation.  Please know that you are all in our prayers and I hope that time will help you heal from this unfortunate situation.
  • Options
    im so very sorry you have to deal with this beth, many hugs and prayers your way!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Stay Strong Beth! I am so sorry you are going through this. Please know you don't have to apologize for your decisions. YOU have to make what is best for you and your family. Hugs and Kisses!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Beth,

first of all, i want to let you know how sorry i am for what you're going through. i can honestly say i know what you are feeling because i've been there. we terminated in july of 2005 with a different diagnosis, but nonetheless it was just as hard a decision. to this day i think about my little boy, but time has made it easier. one of the more difficult things i went through at the time was finding support. i felt so alone, even though my whole family and all my friends supported me and gave me love at that time, i still felt like i was the only one in the world going through this. i wasn't, of course, and i was fortunate enough to find the BEST online support group ever. i made it through those horrible months with their support. if you are interested, go to www.aheartbreakingchoice.com. there are stories of other women who have had to make a choice like yours for similar if not the same diagnosis. if you scroll down the page to the discussion board, i encourage you to join, as it is where you can find so much support and friendship. if you have any questions, or just want to talk/chat, please don't hesitate to message me or email me at carolina414 at gmail dot com. 

big hugs for you, and again, i am so sorry. 

Carol 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"