1st Trimester
Options

Car Q

I know it's still really early for a lot of us but I was wondering if any of you ladies were planning on getting a different vehicle before your LO gets here? DH and I own 2 Ford Focuses, one is a 2dr and one is a 4dr. My concern is we would only be able to use one car when going anywhere...obviously the 4dr. Am I just crazy? I look at the backseat of the 2dr and I just cannot fathom a carseat fitting in there.

What is your advice and what are you ladies doing with your vehicles, if anything?

Re: Car Q

• Options
    We were actually just talking about this last week. DH's lease is up in January, while mine is not for for another year and a half. 

I think DH is going to get an SUV now, but we're not positive - he drives a LOT for work so we have to take that into consideration too. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If you can afford buying a new car on top of all the other expenses of being a new mommy... go for it.  Otherwise... save your money for the baby and wait until you really need a new car.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am totally campaigning for a new car right now.  DH is being a PITA about it though.  So my solution was to tell him that we're switching cars when the baby comes.  I own a honda civic hybrid.  Def not a big car by any means and he has a nice roomy Dodge Magnum.  So, we'll see I'm thinking that might be motivation for a new car. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Options
    This is going to sound totally backwards, but we are thinking of trading our minivan for something smaller. The van is kinda old, and the 2nd row is bucket seats. i wouldn't be ok with putting a car seat there, and using the waaaay back 3rd row just seems inconvenient.
  • Options

We traded in my 4 door focus for an SUV when DS was 8 months old.  DH has a SAAB.  Before the SUV we just took the SAAB most of the time.  But I drove him in my 4 door focus all the time but wanted something bigger. If you can afford it go for it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm planning to trade in my 12 year old honda civic for a newer model, mainly because mine is a stick shift and I don't want to deal with a manual when there's a baby in the back seat. I'm hoping a compact sedan like a four-door civic will be big enough for baby stuff. My SIL says hers works great. The 2-door might be problematic though for getting your LO in and out of the car seat.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    we are in the same boat. we have a mazda 3 and im just not seeing a car seat fitting. i think we are going to wait till after LO gets here and we know that everything is ok money wise then we will look at our options again.
  • Options
    We have 2 cars but really only plan on using mine for traveling with the LO. I have a 06 Scion XB and hubby has a 94 honda accord. 2 of the biggest reason for this that my car is alot more roomy so we will have more room for all the baby goods. And his car doesn't have the top tether. Just seems logical.
    Aug. 15 - Jan. Siggy Challenge "Mean Girls" Mona Vanderwaal Pretty Little Liars  Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I just turned in my Pontiac G6 for a Chevy Traverse which will suit our family of four much better.
  • Options
    I love my small car (Saturn Ion) but it is a 4-door so I've had no problems with it the past 16mos with DD. For family trips we usually end up taking MH's bigger car anyway but everyday use I am quite happy in my little Ion.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for all of your advice. I think we will look into getting an SUV now and trade in the 2dr Focus. GL to all of you also! :o)
  • Options

I was very lucky. ?My lease was up on my equinox; love that car by the way, the backseat can move forward and back and it has great?versatility.

Anyway, DH and I were talking and decided to move up to a?Yukon. ?I love my new car and how much seating/room it has! ??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecareyrdh:
    Thank you ladies for all of your advice. I think we will look into getting an SUV now and trade in the 2dr Focus. GL to all of you also! :o)

Check out other options as well. Its not like you NEED an SUV just because you have a kid. Actually, it can be harder to lift a car seat in and out of them as well because they are higher up. Not saying its bad to get one, but definitely look into other options, too.

• Options
    imageIrishBrideND:

imagecareyrdh:

Check out other options as well. Its not like you NEED an SUV just because you have a kid. Actually, it can be harder to lift a car seat in and out of them as well because they are higher up. Not saying its bad to get one, but definitely look into other options, too.

Thank you for pointing that out! I guess an SUV isn't really the exact vehicle, just something bigger.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"