Special Needs
Options

Bad news about DS's weight (Long)

I am at work so I don't have the exact numbers in front of me.

As a baby up until 9 months DS was 75% weight and height.  From 9 months until now (2 years) he has gained VERY slowly or not at all some months.  The pediatrician isn't worried but she has been pretty easy going about everything (which in general I appreciate).

DS's geneticist is quite concerned though.  DS saw the geneticist @18 months and he weighed 26 lbs and a few ounces, buck naked (no diaper even).  That was 25%.  The geneticist wanted him to gain weight and stay at the same % for his 2 year check.

DH took DS to his 2 year check with the pedi today.  Since he is 2, they now weigh him fully clothed.  DH was going to switch him to a dry disposable so it would be closer to the naked weight, but didn't have time.  So he got weighed fully clothed with a cloth diaper and was 26 lbs. even, 25%.

1st, how he could be 25% when he weighs less confuses me.

So.....  what now?  If I call the geneticist she will want to see him and do something (no idea what that something would be....  if anyone has ideas about what she would want to do please let me know).

He eats a pretty good variety of food (typical for a toddler I would say).  He will down a full fat bowl of yogurt, loves cheese sandwiches, likes nuts ok, so he is getting fat and protein.  He drinks a little whole milk every day but has never been a big milk drinker.

He is generally healthy, but he is definitely thin and the fact that he hasn't really grown lately does worry me.  I don't know how worried I should be though! 

WWYD?

Re: Bad news about DS's weight (Long)

• Options

He stayed the same percentile because toddlers typically slim down as they get older.  It is not uncommon for a 2 year old to weigh about the same as they did at 1, or only a couple of pounds more.

• Options

are the weights you are talking about on the same scale/same office? 

DD worries me with her %  - For a child who pretty much ran the SAME line as your little boy (75% til 8~ months down to 25% from 12mo on, closer to 20% and pedi is never concerned as long as she's gaining). So, the last time I took her in (she is not 2 yet; 20 months) I just told them I wanted the naked weight. Maybe you can do that?? If it's the nurse doing it, she isn't as concerned with that growth chart as you are. So, maybe she's not really thinking about the naked weight making a difference.

I have no reason for concern in my DD other than reflux and 2 bouts of H Pylori, so I haven't been pushy about her %. But I do wonder....what's it there for if they don't care??  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I know it is normal for toddlers to slim down.....  but I also think that after 15 months some concern is merited.

The pedi just said that at 2 they switch to weighing with clothes, it will all work out, blah blah blah.  If I had been there I would have pushed a lttle harder, but DH did the best he could.

If we go back to the geneticist to do another naked weight that would be the most accurate.  I think I will call the office and ask to come in to be weighed and charted as a starting point.  Then I will know exactly what I am dealing with.

• Options

Another thing I have noticed is that there are a couple of variations on the percentile charts.  DD went to the cardiologist and pediatrician within 2 days of each other and weighed the same.  She was in a different percentile at each place (a 5% difference, but when you are in the 5th percentile, it makes a difference).  As pp mentioned, we always have to get weighed on the same scale at the pedi's (they have 4) since they do have small variations. 

Sorry you are dealing with this, but I too would be concerned.

• Options

My DD was two in July and between April when we saw her GI (and was weighed) and August (her two year appointment) she didn't gain and dropped down only 1%.  She weighs just under 23 pounds.  FWIW, even at her 2 year check up she was weighed naked..no diaper either, but this has been standard practice for us as she wasn't charting for more than a year.

I know my DD is moving around/running way more than even a couple months ago, plus we're weaning her from a bottle so I'm not surprised she's not gaining as fast.  I think we can expect weight gain to be less as our kiddos move into toddlerhood as that is the natural progression (more moving/less eating). 

I guess I wonder why the geneticist is concerned, especially if your pedi isn't.  I'm not sure what your DS has for a condition, but is slow growth/weight gain a major concern?  If not, I'd be hesitant to let a geneticist trump my pedi in this matter, but like I said, I don't know your situation.

• Options
    JustinLove --- where did she drop FROM down to 1%?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

He has neurofibromitosis, which as far as I know typically doesn't have weight gain issues.

The reason I lean towards trusting the geneticist is because when he was a baby, my pedi thought his toricolis was minor and didn't need treatment, and the geneticist insisted we get him looked at and he ended up having moderate torticolis and needed PT. 

Probably it isn't logical but that made me trust her about when we need to intervene more.

• Options
    imagesuzymarie:

He has neurofibromitosis, which as far as I know typically doesn't have weight gain issues.

The reason I lean towards trusting the geneticist is because when he was a baby, my pedi thought his toricolis was minor and didn't need treatment, and the geneticist insisted we get him looked at and he ended up having moderate torticolis and needed PT. 

Probably it isn't logical but that made me trust her about when we need to intervene more.

Ah.  I can see your reasoning.  Good luck making your decision.

• Options
    What is his height to weight?  That is a more telling indicator to me.  My DD was 26 pounds at her 3 year appointment and exactly 20 pounds at her 2 year, so 26 seems great to me.  She has been been 7 and 15% for height.  At 3, she is 3% for height to weight, she was not on the chart at all at 2. 
  • Options

Similar to other postings, how is the height to weight ratio?  Are you and your DH slender or lanky people?

Also, why isn't the pediatrician concerned? Update?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"