Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Nutramigen - Worse before it gets better???

DS has been on Nutramigen for exactly two weeks now on the advice of his pediatrician.  He was having some serious skin issues while he was on his previous formula (Enfamil Thickened/AR) and due to the fact that his older sister had protein allergies as a baby so he said more than likely he would have it, too.  Some of you as well as the pediatrician said to give it two weeks to see any improvements (if any).  Well, today marks two weeks and his cheeks are always red from rashes/eczema and he also has yeast infection on his neck, behind his ears, and his diaper area.  With the yeast I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence as he had it once before, but with the rashes on his face it just seems like it's getting worse.  I'm constantly moisturizing him.  He was prescribed some hydrocortisone but I'm not seeing any results with it so I stopped a few days ago.  Don't worry you guys! I'm not going to make the same mistake as I did with DD! So no need to call me out again...*ahemJenerallyahem*

Anyone here who didn't have any luck with Nutramigen?

Re: Nutramigen - Worse before it gets better???

• ~what was the mistake? Sorry,I'm stirring the pot.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagepigtails1031:
    ~what was the mistake? Sorry,I'm stirring the pot.

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/22616807.aspx

I felt like total *** that day (pretty much the whole week b/c of my mistake) and Jenerally just had to make me feel like the worse mother in the world afterwards.  Talk about kicking me while I'm down.

She posted this after https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/22671245/ShowThread.aspx#22671245

But I'm over it so she can go and prance around with her Platinum Status.

• Loading the player...
  • We used Similac Alimentum and saw an improvement in a day or so. I think Alimentum is fairly similar to Nutramigen, but I'd check first. DS has a milk/soy protein and we used this for a while before having to switch to EleCare. Might be worth a try.
  • Never heard of Elecare.  But I'll go and Google it.  Thank you.
  • Try the Alimentum before EleCare. EleCare is freakin expensive and only a last resort.
  • Yes I was told by his pedi that Alimentum and Nutramigen was pretty much the same and it's just a matter of choice.  We chose Nutramigen because he's never had anything else other than Enfamil formulas.  I've also heard of Neocate.  I wonder if that's similar to Elecare?
  • I am so glad to have read your post....my LO just was switched over to Enfamil AR from Gentle Ease....He now has a rash covering both checks and earlobes. Its no where else on his body. I myself have exzema and have since I was little. I thought at first it was really dry skin but after reading your post I feel it might be from the formula. The thing is he does so much better on the AR I dont know what to do????
  • imagecgrout:
    I am so glad to have read your post....my LO just was switched over to Enfamil AR from Gentle Ease....He now has a rash covering both checks and earlobes. Its no where else on his body. I myself have exzema and have since I was little. I thought at first it was really dry skin but after reading your post I feel it might be from the formula. The thing is he does so much better on the AR I dont know what to do????

A lot of times with eczema it's usually a reaction from cows milk.  Nutramigen although hypoallergenic is still just that - milk.  But with DS b/c the history of his older sister having allergies to protein, I am almost sure he is in the same boat.  So I am guessing we night have to make another switch, this time to something lactose-free.  We'll discuss that with his pedi first and see what he thinks.  But that might be something you'd want to look into.

• Thanks...is your pedi the one who told you to try Nutramigen in the first place??? Just wondering?
  • imagecgrout:
    Thanks...is your pedi the one who told you to try Nutramigen in the first place??? Just wondering?

Yes, he is the one.  He said to give it a try first to see if his skin improves if not then we'll try something else.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"