Special Needs

Tantrum help

Chris has been trantruming much more lately. Today he was kicking and screaming on the floor for a good 45 minutes during one tantrum and around that time we decided to start taping him to show his DI. Around the same time we got our recorder out he stopped screaming.

Tantrum number 2 lasted around the same timeframe. This is becoming an everyday thing. I can't deal with this screaming all the time! I feel like we can't give in to the tantrum yet we need to somehow because I feel bad that he can't communicate what he wants from us. Obviously I don't want to create a monster. What would you do?

Re: Tantrum help

• ((hugs)) Can you teach him any sign to ease the frustration? Picture symbols? Probably not any help.
  • Does he go to a particular place, throw himself on something, or lay in the floor? I loved having my DT around when a tantrum would happen. She taught me (im hoping this will help, but dont know that it will) that at least for what my son was doing, he needed to trust and not be threatened by me/us to calm down. So, she would crawl right up beside him and lay in the floor - and not say a word. Or she would also throw herself into the bed. Or she would act the same way he was. Not mocking, but just like speaking his language. 

It was amazing to watch her do that the first time, and actually brought me to tears. She got his attention and after giving him some clam moments to just lay next to her or whatever ended up happening... she was able to talk to him.

I don't know how your son's receptive language is... I know he's really little. So, the communication after he is calm might or might not help much. Like a PP said, maybe a picture card - or maybe even a picture SCHEDULE to show him what he should be doing with his next few hours - instead of that.

She also taught me to be as calm and unemotional as I could be (yeah right, that is HARD) when I did approach him verbally. Like, almost monotone. Just for this though, all the other times it was 'be over emphatic with your rise and fall so he'll notice it' LOL! 

It's a hard life. I really hope you find something that works for you & him 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am sorry to hear this.  My son just had a long tantrum last night.  It prob. lasted about an hour! (maybe even longer)  DH doesn't give into his tantrums at all.  I, on the other hand, will sometimes do.  Surprise

I normally try to go into his room after 10 mins of him crying and try to hold him and try to talk to him.  If I see that there is no way to talk to him, I normally just hold him really tight and rock him back and forth.  If he doesn't want me to touch him, I leave him alone in his room for another 10 mins.  Then I do the same thing over again. 

Sometimes just holding him really tight and rocking him back and forth help alot, but there are some days (like yesterday) it doesn't work.  Those are the days that suck because I can not  stand listening to him scream for an hour.  My husband, on the other hand, can let him scream all day long and it won't bother him one bit!

I hope things get better for you soon  :)

• imagemeghans30:
    ((hugs)) Can you teach him any sign to ease the frustration? Picture symbols? Probably not any help.

He has a few words now that help usually ('HELP", "MORE") and signs of more, all done.  He has other words that he has said before but won't ever again.  His current SLP didn't want to do picture symbols until he could point regularly.  He started pointing at almost 20 months but doesn't do it regularly. 

image-auntie-:

I think your stategy for recording for his DI is a good one. Do you have a behviorsit on your team to help you put together a plan.

Our Developmental Therapist has a behaviorist piece to her.  She has been good about helping with other behaviors.  Unfortunately, last week we didn't have therapy with her and she had planned on making up the session for this week and last week on yesterday.  The session right before us a kid threw something at her head and she needed to get it checked out.

Have you been able to uncover an antecedent to the behavior? Does he have sensory issues; often these are triggers in very young kids? Low blood sugar can play into this frustration/poor regulation cycle as well.

The actions leading up to the behavior are usually me not letting him do something, for example this morning it was I wouldn't let him have marshmallows for breakfast.  He does have sensory issues but they are becoming minimal now.  It's more textures than sounds.  I have altered some things in his diet as a result, for example my other boys love PB&J sandwiches and he only gets jelly.

The Explosive Child is a book a lot of parents swear by.

I'll put this on my list to read next.  Thank you!

• He just goes on any floor and it doesn't matter where and what one. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"