Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Letting newborn taste things.....

Is there anything wrong with letting my LO taste things off of my finger??  (like some juice from a fresh strawberry) Is there anything to avoid?  TIA

Re: Letting newborn taste things.....

• that doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

do you know whats living on your fingers?

* renebean319 shudders

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • yes, there is a lot wrong with it.

baby could have an allergy - and the reaction to the food would be hard to notice very fast with a newborn.... and can be deadly (esp strawberries! a common food for allergies).

it can upset baby's stomach = diarrhea, etc.

don't let baby have anything but breast milk or formula until at least 4 months old... and then start with rice cereal.

• Loading the player...
  • I don't understand why you would do this.  What's the rush?!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Yeah- strawberries.

Can cause allergies.

And honey.

• Um, their digestive system is super new.  not to mention what stuff can be in the "tastes" you are giving them.

BM or Formula.  There's plenty of time for your LO to try new flavors later/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageGoldie_Locks_5:

yes, there is a lot wrong with it.

baby could have an allergy - and the reaction to the food would be hard to notice very fast with a newborn.... and can be deadly (esp strawberries! a common food for allergies).

it can upset baby's stomach = diarrhea, etc.

don't let baby have anything but breast milk or formula until at least 4 months old... and then start with rice cereal.

This!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • **Shrug** sure, why not? I'm sure some people would get their panties in a twist over it, but just don't actually FEED your LO anything. But tastes off your finger, IMO, aren't a big deal. Avoid common allergens and keep an eye on your LO for reactions. And don't do it all the time--but once in a while is fun for them and you.
  • This is gonna be a good one...
  • imagerenebean319:

that doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

* judgeandjury shudders

Per my lactation consultant at the hospital, I have to use my finger on his tongue to encourage him to use it properly when he breast feeds.  He uses his gums so they gave me 'exercises' to do with his tongue and my finger.  And of course, I wash my hands!!

I was just wondering if they could develop allergies or have problems from it.  I haven't done it...just wondering if it was ok.

• Oh my!  I was just wondering... :)
  • Your LO's digestive system is too immature for anything besides breastmilk/formula right now. Babies cannot handle solid foods before the first 4 months or so. You should talk to your pedi before doing this, the last thing you want to happen is a potentially dangerous allergic reaction from whatever you let your LO taste.
  • imagejudgeandjury:
    imagerenebean319:

* katiekate1974 shudders

Per my lactation consultant at the hospital, I have to use my finger on his tongue to encourage him to use it properly when he breast feeds.  He uses his gums so they gave me 'exercises' to do with his tongue and my finger.  And of course, I wash my hands!!

I was just wondering if they could develop allergies or have problems from it.  I haven't done it...just wondering if it was ok.

I put my fingers in DS's mouth all the time. He sucks on them. I feel his little tooth bud. Feed him prevacid. Your fingers in his mouth aren't really a big deal at all...

I also kiss his open mouth. **gasp**

• imagejudgeandjury:
    imagerenebean319:

* renebean319 shudders

yes, they could develop allergies.

yes, they could get germs.

yes, they could get sick.

yes, its a bad idea but thats just my opinion, by all means do what you want.

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I've done it and my kid is still alive.  I let him lick a pretzel on the airplane.. and I gave him a very little taste of baby food.  Some sort of fruit my nephew was eating. He didn't care much for the pretzel.
  • imagekatiekate1974:
    **Shrug** sure, why not? I'm sure some people would get their panties in a twist over it, but just don't actually FEED your LO anything. But tastes off your finger, IMO, aren't a big deal. Avoid common allergens and keep an eye on your LO for reactions. And don't do it all the time--but once in a while is fun for them and you.

I actually agree with this.  It's not like you're really feeding your LO anything so the immature digestive system is a moot point.

Although I did scold my DH for putting his finger with a slight bit of maple syrup on it in LO's mouth... 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekatiekate1974:
    **Shrug** sure, why not? I'm sure some people would get their panties in a twist over it, but just don't actually FEED your LO anything. But tastes off your finger, IMO, aren't a big deal. Avoid common allergens and keep an eye on your LO for reactions. And don't do it all the time--but once in a while is fun for them and you.
    This.  DS has "tasted" a grape popsicle, apple juice, a Twizzler, and a pita chip.  We're not starting solids until six months, so I'm not in a "hurry" to feed DS solids.  But it is fun to see his reaction to different flavors.  FWIW, neither DH or I have any food allergies, and neither does anyone in our immediate families.
  • Soooooo not a good idea. There is no need for your one month old to "taste" anything other than BM or formula.  Just wait til they are at least 4 months old and then they can only have rice cereal. Do some of you people never research anything before having a baby, I mean come on.

geez.

::face palm::

• imagekatiekate1974:
    imagejudgeandjury:
    imagerenebean319:

* jenerally shudders

I put my fingers in DS's mouth all the time. He sucks on them. I feel his little tooth bud. Feed him prevacid. Your fingers in his mouth aren't really a big deal at all...

I also kiss his open mouth. **gasp**

Katie!! ::fake gasp::

you dirty, dirty whore. lmao.

• imagejenerally:
    [

Katie!! ::fake gasp::

you dirty, dirty whore. lmao.

Oh, I'm a dirty, dirty whore, but it has nothing to do with putting my fingers in my kid's mouth....

• imageVAannie:
    imagekatiekate1974:
    This.  DS has "tasted" a grape popsicle, apple juice, a Twizzler, and a pita chip.  We're not starting solids until six months, so I'm not in a "hurry" to feed DS solids.  But it is fun to see his reaction to different flavors.  FWIW, neither DH or I have any food allergies, and neither does anyone in our immediate families.

I agree with this too...  Its not like you are giving LO the food to actually eat??  I would just avoid honey and foods that commonly cause allergies though...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"