Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Can my OB prescribe migraine meds?

My prescription expired since I didn't take it while pregnant, and I haven't been to my regular doctor in over a year. We changed insurance companies while I was pg, so I need to pick a new PCP. I really don't want to go a month or so with no migraine medicine... can my OB prescribe the medicine until I can get in to see my PCP? Or will they give me the side-eye for asking? My OB knows I have migraines, I was given loratab to take for them while pregnant I just didn't need it.

I didn't get any migraines from 12 weeks on... I was really hoping to be cured forever! Then I woke up with a headache Sad

Re: Can my OB prescribe migraine meds?

• Yes, he can.  My OB has prescribed it for me and has actually asked I use him as my PCP even when not pg.  I love my OB he is awesome!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You can have an OB as your PCP? Maybe I will ask my OBs office if they do that... I really like my OB and I don't want to have to find a new doctor!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, I have an PPO insurance plan so I can go to any doc without a referral if that makes a difference.  My OB told me at my 1st visit to him pre-pregnancy almost 3 years ago he wanted me to treat him as my Primary Doc.  It is great!  I get sinus infections all the time so I know the symptoms.  I called him when I knew I had one a few weeks ago and I didn't even have to come into the office.  He just called in a Z pack for me.  That was great because it saved me the hassle of going when I was home alone with DD.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Anyone with a prescribing license can prescribe anything (except for some controlled substances), so yes, your OB can prescribe it, but may not want to. I don't have a problem prescribing things not related to dermatology (i.e. oral antifungal med for a vaginal yeast infection), but to a point. I would never refill someone's blood pressure or diabetes medications.
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageg8orell:
    Anyone with a prescribing license can prescribe anything (except for some controlled substances), so yes, your OB can prescribe it, but may not want to. I don't have a problem prescribing things not related to dermatology (i.e. oral antifungal med for a vaginal yeast infection), but to a point. I would never refill someone's blood pressure or diabetes medications.

They are hormone related migraines... does that count?

I'm going to make an appointment with my neurologist, but it will take a month or so to get a visit. I just need something until then... 

• Yeah...I don't think he/she would have a problem writing it, but it's completely up to him/her. I feel ya though...I have bad migraines too! They went away during pregnancy, and my neurologist told me that sometimes pregnancy will "cure" them, but now they are starting to come back...mainly when I don't sleep well or eat...well who does that with a newborn, LOL!

What helps me though (besides the Rx meds) is 3 Alleve's, a coke, and an ice pack. And as soon as I get a chance...to lay down in a cold, dark room.

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"