Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Q about newborn visitors

A friend who just got back from an extended stay in rural sub-Saharan Africa wants to come visit our newborn.  This probably sounds paranoid, but are there any health risks related to visitors who have been out-of-country like this? 

Re: Q about newborn visitors

• I'd call the ped and ask, myself. Some areas are worse than others, especially if the friend had to get vaccinations to go there that people who stay in country don't typically get.
  • No, you're not being paranoid.  I would also check with your pediatrician.  A lot of other countries have diseases that we don't have to deal with here in the U.S.  Things like small pox and polio - that aren't really issues in the U.S. - are still very prevalent in other parts of the world.  I do not know if these specific ones are common in sub-saharan Africa.  But yeah, I'd be careful if it were my newborn.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Make some excuse if you don't want to be honest.  Even if pedia says it's fine, I wouldn't do it, newborns are way too fragile
  • i dont think i would even check with the pedi- i would just come up with a reason why that person could not visit or just be totally blunt w/ them- i wouldnt risk my baby's health- they are very fragile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"