Austin Babies
Options

What to do about biting??

Kennedy has just started biting the last few days, and I know that it is when she is frustrated with something - either she wants me to pick her up and I can't right then, or I am picking her up to change activities and she gets mad, etc. and she will bite my leg or shoulder - whatever is closest to her mouth.  So far I just put my finger on her teeth and say no biting in a stern voice, but today when I did that she just chomped down on my finger, breaking the skin.  What do I do?!?  She starts MDO next week, and this new way of showing her frustration really has me worried about that!!  She seems young to be biting already - what do you think? 
Pregnancy Ticker

Kennedy Clover 7.14.08, Atalie Ryan 1.25.10

Re: What to do about biting??

• Options

We're having the same issue, except he hasn't (yet) full-on bitten us.  He makes a move toward us if he's frustrated that we can tell would/will be a bite but if he actually gets his mouth on us he generally just touches our skin with his teeth.  Regardless, we tell him "No Biting" and "OUCH! Biting hurts!", as per the instructions in a book we read to him called Teeth Are Not For Biting.  

Our pedi says that he's actually not too young to start a "time out", even though of course he won't stay in time out for more than a second or two.  But she said now is the time to start getting him used to the idea that if he does something against the rules, he gets seated on the "time out" mat or whatever.  I've actually only done this once since she told us this.  I usually use the "Ouch!" or "No Biting".  He actually hasn't acted like he's going to try to bite us in the past couple weeks since I've been reading that book to him, fwiw.

(Btw, we also have the other books in the "Best Behavior" Series: Hands Are Not For Hitting, Feet Are Not For Kicking and Tails Are Not For Pulling, and he really likes them, so hopefully they'll work!)

• Options

One thing I read is to be specific in your command "STOP Biting" instead of "No Biting". Stop is actually an excellent command to start using at her age because it's constant and universal. "No" has too many meanings. You should express a negative emotion in association with the event that is also universal like "hurt". "Biting Hurts" "Hitting Hurts" etc. Use a really sad face and say "owie/ouch" or whatever.

Don't put your fingers in her mouth because up until now, she has been allowed to do pretty much whatever she likes with her teeth (unless you're still breastfeeding). She has been free to chew on her toys and bite the nipples on her bottles if she so desires to explore. It's quite a concept to grasp that there are things you're not allowed to sink your teeth into for exploration or anger!

Before picking her up to change activities, make sure you're allowing her time to make the transition. Say "It's almost time to eat! We're going to go to the chair" Give her a few more moments, then allow her to say "bye bye" to the toys, clean them up then wave goodbye etc. Encourage her to say "Bye Bye Chair" and you both wave before going back down to the floor etc. You have to think about it from their point of view. They're having fun and someone comes and rips them away from what they were enjoying, it kind of sucks! I can't get my Step-Mom to understand this is why Abby doesn't like to be "held". Because she'll run and pick her up when she's busy doing something.

Of course, she could just be teething and fussy overall. DD also bites and hits when she's excessively tired or hungry.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good advice - thank you!  And I'm off to buy a new book for our library today too! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Kennedy Clover 7.14.08, Atalie Ryan 1.25.10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"