1st Trimester

OB/GYN vs. Midwife?

How did you decide which route to go? I have an appointment with an OB/GYN, but I have also had friends say great things about delivering with a midwife. Thoughts??

Re: OB/GYN vs. Midwife?

• Set up an appointment with both. Talk to them and see who fits your birthing style best.
  • I talked to my mom about it. She's been a Labor and Delivery nurse for 25 years so I really trust her opinion. She suggested a midwife since I'm young and in good shape with no health problems or concerns. As soon as I met my midwife I knew it was the right fit for me. I ended up canceling my appointment with my OB/GYN. 

• Loading the player...
  • With my DD, I went to an OB until around 30 weeks. I LOVED my doctor. She was amazing. But I had to switch my insurance, because I lost my job and my new insurance didn't cover my doctor. I decided to switch to a MW. I had considered it before, but liked my Dr, so I didn't see a reason to switch.

When I switched to my midwife, I noticed a big difference in the amount of time I spent at each appointment. She did all the same things my doctor did, but on top of that, she spent some time asking me about how I was feeling, what I was nervous about, if I had any questions... I just never felt like she was rushing me through my appointments. The MW who delivered me (not the one I usually saw for appts) was a phenomenal support during my birth. She does a lot of unmedicated births, so she was great talking me through contractions. My OB told me she did unmedicated births, but most of them ended up with an epidural.

This time I decided to go with a midwife again, because I had such a great experience. My main MW moved and I wasn't thrilled with any of the other midwives in her practice, so I'm going to a smaller MW clinic with just three MWs this time.

If you're planning a natural birth, I'd really reccomend a midwife. If not, I'd say it's a good idea to see both a MW and an OB and decide who you like better. The practice I went to had both OBs and MWs, maybe you can find something like that?

• Can you have a midwife even if you want a medicated birth? Sounds wonderful having all of the personalized attention.
    A small start at 2lb 9oz, 60 day NICU stay, and 6 months of O2 My 30 weeker is growing up! <a href="http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/bippy798/?action=view
  • Thanks, ladies! For some reason I think I've heard you can only see a midwife if you want to have a natural delivery...but I could be wrong?
  • Well I guess I mean in conjunction with a OB. Just curious but has anyone done that?
    A small start at 2lb 9oz, 60 day NICU stay, and 6 months of O2 My 30 weeker is growing up! <a href="http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/bippy798/?action=view
  • I watched the movie "The Business of Being Born" and started to consider midwives, after thinking I'd have an OB forever.  In our area, there is a practice that does both, and has one of each available for all deliveries.  I have my first appointment with them tomorrow, with a midwife.  I am not sold on the natural birth idea, but I am hoping to have something calm and peaceful and that's what it seems midwives strive for, meds or not.
    BFP#1 - 08/30/09 - m/c - 10/2/09 7w4d
    BFP #2 - 11/4/09 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    My Book Blog
  • For me, it came down to whether I wanted someone telling me what to do, or someone guiding me through it. And I don't deal with being told what to do very well, so I went with a midwife and will forever be grateful that I did. Best decision of my life. Don't have anything against OB/GYN's, it's just what worked for me. Good luck with what you choose!
  • imageBippy798:
    Can you have a midwife even if you want a medicated birth? Sounds wonderful having all of the personalized attention.

Yep! Most of them will encourage a natural birth, but they can order the medications if you want them. It's even on the FAQ portion of my MW's website. My MW will even stay with you if you end up with a c-section as emotional support.

• With my first pregnancy, I started out with a midwifery group.  I really had awesome care from them.  Unfortunately, I developed PIH, and they insisted that I switch to an OB (which was necessary).  If you do have a good midwife, she will know when to refer you if you have complications.  Because my PIH progressed to severe pre-e/HELLP, I'll be seeing a MFM (high risk OB).  If you are low risk, I think that midwives provide excellent care.  In fact, I still go back to them for regular gyn stuff.

• I am considered high-risk so an OB/GYN for me, because I have several issues.
  • With my first pregnancy i saw an ob, but i mc and so it was a short lived relationship.  She was lovely and i was sure i would use her again, however i moved overseas before i became pregnant again.  I could not get an appointment with any OB's, so i opted to use a midwife in a practice that offered the services of both.  It was probably just that particular practice, but i found the level of personal care was seriously lacking.  Out of desperation to find a care provider, i decided to visit a home birth midwifery practice and i am SO grateful i did!!  It was a totally different experience - far less stressful and i immediately felt way more comfortable with them. 

I ended up having a home birth (and i'm not a hippie or earth loving naturalist by any means!) and i can honestly say it was an awesome experience that i can't wait to have with this pregnancy.  In the end, a home birth midwife was right for me, but like some of the other ladies have said, you have to interview them for yourself and decide who you feel most comfortable with - that will make your entire experience of giving birth wonderful instead of terrifying :)

• The practice I go to has 4 OB/GYNs and 2 midwives, by the time I am ready for delivery there will be 3 midwives and they will preform 90% of the births for the practice. I have met with the 2 midwives and love them both, they are both very open and friendly and willing to allow me the most natural birth possible.
  • The way my practice explained it was that a midwife will be there with you in the room as soon as you go into labor until you deliver, whereas a doc will come in and check on you from time to time.  We're going with the doc because it's a doctor and I don't really need or want someone hovering over me when I am in labor....my family will be enough! haha
  • imageAnd Ketch:
    I watched the movie "The Business of Being Born" and started to consider midwives, after thinking I'd have an OB forever.  In our area, there is a practice that does both, and has one of each available for all deliveries.  I have my first appointment with them tomorrow, with a midwife.  I am not sold on the natural birth idea, but I am hoping to have something calm and peaceful and that's what it seems midwives strive for, meds or not.

The Business of Being Born really did make me think about what kind of delivery I want. I'm also in the DC area. Are you going to Physicians & Midwives? I found them after my Ob retired last year. I've been for my annual exam in June and my confirmation of PG last week. I've seen the same OB both times but my next visit is with a midwife. I'm very please so far. Plus they have and online forum for questions...love it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"