Parenting

When you paint stripes in a room, is it overwhelming to do the whole room?

Our guest room, which happens to be DD's new big girl room, needs a paint job to be more girly.  DH wants to stripe it bc it's painted paneling so he thinks the stripes would be easy.  I like the idea but am nervous that 4 walls of pink, blue, and maybe green or brown, stripes would be painful to look at instead of cute.  There happens to be a pic of the room in my bio, which I didn't even realize I still had.
Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

Re: When you paint stripes in a room, is it overwhelming to do the whole room?

• I think it will be cute but it is a much bigger job than it seems.? My sister did stripes in her smallish bedroom (that she turned into a closet) and it was a huge job to get them just right.? Even with paneling I bet it'll be a big job.??

Would you consider going with only 2 shades of one color like light and dark pink??
  • I think it sounds busy. I think it depends on the brightness on if it would be nauseating. I like doing 2 colors but I'm not brave enough to do 3 or 4.
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I just painted stripes in my bathroom last weekend, and while a bathroom is much smaller than a bedroom, I am so happy with how it turned out. I did 8 in. thick stripes and they look awesome. I am sure it will look beyond cute in her room! You're going to do the stripes halfway up the wall, right? That's what we did. If that is what you're doing, then the plain color on the upper half of the wall will balance out the stripes. Plus, i'm sure that your DD's furniture will cover up a lot of wall space. It will look great. Don't worry. And hey, if you hate it, it's super easy to just paint over it! =) GL and post pics!!!!!!!!!
  • REOMREOM member

Stripes= NOT easy! Seriously, we did stripes in G's big girl room, and we joke that it almost cost us our marriage.

We did flat/glossy of the same color. I wouldn't do all those colors, I would just pick one.

Here is a picture:

DD1 12.18.06 DD2 9.18.08 DD3 EDD 5.10.2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD's room has stripes on the bottom portion only of her walls. It was a big job but it turned out really nice. MH is a perfectionist so maybe that palyed a part. He had to make a whole speadsheet about width and color so that when the stripes met the would match and not be the same color.
    Abigail Marie 6/30/06 Benjamin Charles 5/30/09 image
  • Reom, that's really really pretty!
  • REOMREOM member

imageDandelionMom:
    Reom, that's really really pretty!

Thanks! Let's hope she likes it for a looooong time :)

Our house is old, and the walls weren't perfectly straight, and that made it a lot harder.

DD1 12.18.06 DD2 9.18.08 DD3 EDD 5.10.2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • We really like the blue that's already there and are hoping to keep that, along with some pink and something else from the duvet I bought.  I got her Elizabeth toile bedding from PB Outlet this weekend. She's very into the princess thing. 

DH thinks stripes to the ceiling, all the way around. I think it's going to be difficult and very busy to look at.  He's planning to just use the already there variances in the paneling for each stripe.

I wish I had any skill at design / art!

Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

• My mom did our nursery for Preston. It is a huge room (cape cod style) and she did the entire bottom half stripes (light tan and a darker tan). The top part of the wall was the lighter tan out of the two and a dark tan chair rail around the whole room. It came out awesome and wasn't that hard to do. At least that is what she said and it only took her a few hours to do.

I'm hiring her for Prestons big boy room and the playroom downstairs too...lol.

• What if you went more subtle?  Paint the whole thing pink (or green or whatever) and then paint the stripes with a glaze to give it a slight color difference.  I saw this somewhere, and it is very sophisticated and subtle, but adds just enough to a room.
  • We did stripes on the bottom half of the wall in the kids room, and then circles on the top half, along with a quote as the border. The stripes weren't hard at all BUT it's a dr. seuss room so we weren't super anal about making them perfect, since the randomness of everything makes it more dr. seussy.
  • We bought a house that had really cute stripes already painted floor to ceiling on only one wall in the room DD and DS share. I cant say how easy/hard the process was, but we love having the focus on one wall.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"