Success after IF

Would you let your newborn sleep on their belly?

Nolan will not sleep unless he is being held, DH and I havent slept in 2 weeks. Today we started putting him down on his belly for naps (because we are right there to watch him) and he has slept great all day. Today it has been like he is a whole new baby because he is getting into a deeper sleep and not waking up so much (he wakes a lot even when we hold him). He hasnt been cranky, he is eating better, and sleeping better. I would have never considered this with Brady...this must be something I am only considering because he is a second child or something. We have an AngleCare monitor, so that would alert us if he was to stop breathing for more than 15 seconds (I think, I dont remember exactly when it goes off). Am I crazy for even considering this? Having a happier baby has been awesome...but at the same time I feel guilty for even considering it.

Re: Would you let your newborn sleep on their belly?

• I wouldn't until he could lift his head easily and for several seconds. But after that I would have no problems with it. Will he sleep swaddled? Paige would only sleep swaddled and in her swing for the first month or so. But now that she is out of her swaddle, she is a belly sleeper.
    DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • the boys were just like that, and i let them sleep like that for naps while i could watch them..but not at night..my GI said i could, pedi said not to..

for them it was their reflux that made them want to sleep on their bellies, so i had them sleep in their bouncy seat next to the bed..maybe talk to your pedi about it? 

Ron and Nora married 6.3.06 21 cycles, 1 m/c, 4 rounds clomid, 1 round gonal f and 3 IUI anovulatory cycles, LPD
    Joey, Ronnie, and Audrey,
    my awesome IUI 30 week twins, and my surprise miracle Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LOVE my SAIF ladies :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie 2nd Birthday TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers My Blog!
  • Loading the player...
  • 1st kid?  No way in hell.  I was hyper vigilant about every little thing that could possibly go wrong.

2nd kid?  HECK YES!!!  Anything to help him be happy and help me manage everyone and everything better.

+ the angel care monitor?  I'd REALLY do it.

Flame away.

It's just different the second time around. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Juliette was the same way so from 4 weeks old she has been and is a belly sleeper.  She would not sleep on her back, she was grunting, moaning, fussy and kicked out of a swaddle so we tried the belly and it was like she had an off switch, she slept so soundly.
  • Yep I probably would. I know this is probably a last resort for you and you need a break or you will break. I'd only do it with the Angelcare monitor on but yes, I would. This coming from someone totally against tummy/carseat sleeping.  lol!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yes. Especially with the angelcare. Ethan had reflux so badly that the ONLY way he would sleep was on his belly.

are the stats better for back sleepers? yes. Is the difference huge? no. Was the risk worth it to me? yes. It isn't just about a happy baby, it is more about a Mom who isn't so tired she makes a catastrophic mistake. 
    I have never told anyone about this (and I might dd) but during our lack of sleep period, I accidentally gave myself 70 units of my fast acting insulin, thinking it was my long acting. It should have been 5 unit. I could have killed myself. I was so so so tired.

Minimize as much other risk as you can. Dont swaddle, no blankets, fan on in room, sleep in crib not pnp (most pnp sheets are not snug enough) and so on...  

I feel for you, I was panicky at first. 

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I almost bought the angle care monitor for this exact reason...i would.  With monitor-yep, but i'd also have him co-sleep next to my bed.
  • Yup - especially with the angelcare!
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"