Northern California Babies
Options

Breastpump before baby arrives

So yesterday I posted about finding the Freestyle for a cheaper price than BRU and I think Linneychanel gave me a site that had a great price (well..still expensive but more than $100 cheaper than BRU).

Anyhow..some people suggested that I wait to buy the pump until after Lilly is here.  

Now...breastfeeding is probably one thing I am 100% committed too...I HAVE to breastfeed for at least 6 months and it would be MUCH better for me to do it for a year...(this info is per my mom's doctor)....my mom had pre-menopausal breast cancer and he says I will reduce my risk (by a good amount) if I bf for at least 6mos and even better if I go a year...So anyway...this is something I am SUPER passionate about and will go to GREAT lengths to make sure breastfeeding is sucessful...meaning, really,I will do anything I have to do to make it to 1 year...I know it might be SUPER hard but I this is just something I feel I HAVE to do and DH knows how important it is to me and so I know he will be supportive of everything.

Anyhow...am I super naive to say I know I am going to breastfeed for a year because I have to?...and I guess I really don't mean know....but that I will do anything and everything before I give up breastfeeding.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breastpump before baby arrives

• Options
    I don't think you're super naive to say you're committed to Bfing, but you don't know whether you will have problems. If you have supply issues, renting a hospital grade pump may be a necessity for you. This is the reason a LC told me to wait to buy until after my milk came in.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I got one at my 2 day appt, the nurse didn't want me to get it but I really wanted to have it.  I really wanted to be able to bottle feed as well as breast feed and was less concerned about nipple confusion than I was about bottle rejection.

If you feel like you are committed to bfing and you know you'll use the pump than I say get it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagedanandkelly:

I got one at my 2 day appt, the nurse didn't want me to get it but I really wanted to have it.  I really wanted to be able to bottle feed as well as breast feed and was less concerned about nipple confusion than I was about bottle rejection.

If you feel like you are committed to bfing and you know you'll use the pump than I say get it.

This is what I am feeling to because I want (and I know Aaron wants) Aaron to be able to feed her too.

• Options

I think its great that you are very committed.

But I don't think your commitment means you have to have a breast pump before baby comes.

If you have supply issues, a hospital grade BP will be your best friend for awhile.

• Options

I wouldn't say you're super naive to say you know you're going to breastfeed, you certainly have several incentives to do so.

I too was very confident in my decision to breastfeed, and I went to great lengths to do so.  Those lengths included buying a hospital grade pump because my body just wouldn't respond as it needed to (err, as I needed it to) to a regular pump (the Freestyle to be exact).  I bought a Freestyle thinking it would work, and it didn't.  I was fortunate enough to only have used it a couple of times and was able to find someone to buy it from me, but it was a PITA.

Bottom line in my eyes is that you just don't know what you're going to be in for and won't know until you're actually in the situation before knowing which pump is best.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagelinnychanel:

But I don't think your commitment means you have to have a breast pump before baby comes.

If you have supply issues, a hospital grade BP will be your best friend for awhile.

Do you guys know if leaking (sorry...a little TMI) before baby gets here means anything about supply once baby is here?  I have had leaking since 22 weeks.

• Options
    imageSportyMrs.23:
    imagelinnychanel:

Do you guys know if leaking (sorry...a little TMI) before baby gets here means anything about supply once baby is here?  I have had leaking since 22 weeks.

not sure, thats a good question though! I wonder if they are linked in anyway. I had a decent supply and I leaked colostrum for months.

• Options

I think if it makes you feel better, than go ahead and buy one. I'd keep the tags on and keep it in it's original packaging just in case.

I will say, you'll likely be dying to get out of the house and going out to purchase a new pump will give you something to do! While everyone's situation is very unique, I didn't touch my pump until at least a few weeks after each of the boys came home.

• Options
    imageMarksGrrl:

I wouldn't say you're super naive to say you know you're going to breastfeed, you certainly have several incentives to do so.

I too was very confident in my decision to breastfeed, and I went to great lengths to do so.  Those lengths included buying a hospital grade pump because my body just wouldn't respond as it needed to (err, as I needed it to) to a regular pump (the Freestyle to be exact).  I bought a Freestyle thinking it would work, and it didn't.  I was fortunate enough to only have used it a couple of times and was able to find someone to buy it from me, but it was a PITA.

Bottom line in my eyes is that you just don't know what you're going to be in for and won't know until you're actually in the situation before knowing which pump is best.

Great post - I totally agree.  There's no harm in waiting to get the pump until after delivery and you know what you need.  Or, if you really want to get it now and it doesn't work out (you need a hospital grade, etc) you can always sell it new in-box on CL or something.  You'll probably lose some $$, but not a ton.

• Options
    imageeastbaygirl:
    imageMarksGrrl:

Great post - I totally agree.  There's no harm in waiting to get the pump until after delivery and you know what you need.  Or, if you really want to get it now and it doesn't work out (you need a hospital grade, etc) you can always sell it new in-box on CL or something.  You'll probably lose some $$, but not a ton.

For the hospital grade pump...do you buy it directly from kaiser...do they do that?  And I am guessing that those would cost like in the $1000 range...is that about right?

• Options
    imagelinnychanel:
    imageSportyMrs.23:
    imagelinnychanel:

not sure, thats a good question though! I wonder if they are linked in anyway. I had a decent supply and I leaked colostrum for months.

I don't know if it's linked, but I never leaked prior to having N and I had horriable supply issues.

• Options

I don't think it's naive.  I think for a lot of women, commitment to it was the only thing that keeps them doing it, and for most, the only thing that gets them through the first few months if it isn't going well.  So, to be committed, especially for your own health reasons, is a good thing.  Only a very small percentage of women are actually unable to breastfeed.  Sadly, many women think they weren't able to make enough milk, when the culprit was actually a bad latch or infrequent enough feedings or diet, or a sleepy, jaundiced baby or tongue tied baby who didn't nurse often enough or well enough to drain the breasts and trigger more milk to be made, or they were encouraged to supplement for any or all of those reasons, which meant they nursed less and made less.  That is not to make anyone feel bad -- because I know women who were hella bent on BF and then thought they couldn't, and they saw LCs, and nothing they did seemed to help.

Not all LCs are the same, if you do run into trouble, then try another one.  Have the LC on staff at the hospital visit you often -- all the nurses are trained to help initial BF, but they aren't generally LCs.  If your milk isn't in within 4 days, hire an LC to come do a home visit to check your latch and teach you other positions that might help.  If at 2 weeks and/or a month, you still have supply issues bring her out again (or another one).  Go to LLL meetings for support.  I had issues and pain for 8 weeks (thrush and a bad latch) before I saw an LC -- don't be me :)

• Options

imageSportyMrs.23:

nope, just because you leak intitially doesn't mean that you're going to have a great supply once the baby is here.

I purchased my pump prior to Jenna's arrival. Well, I should say that the pump was purchased before her arrival. I acutally used it to bring on labor (along with a few other things). It was a risky decision, but in the end I lucked out.

• Options
    imageCelyn:

I don't think it's naive.  I think for a lot of women, commitment to it was the only thing that keeps them doing it, and for most, the only thing that gets them through the first few months if it isn't going well.  So, to be committed, especially for your own health reasons, is a good thing.  Only a very small percentage of women are actually unable to breastfeed.  Sadly, many women think they weren't able to make enough milk, when the culprit was actually a bad latch or infrequent enough feedings or diet, or a sleepy, jaundiced baby who didn't nurse often enough or well enough to drain the breasts and trigger more milk to be made, or they were encouraged to supplement for any or all of those reasons, which meant they nursed less and made less.  That is not to make anyone feel bad -- because I know women who were hella bent on BF and then thought they couldn't, and they saw LCs, and nothing they did seemed to help.

Not all LCs are the same, if you do run into trouble, then try another one.  Have the LC on staff at the hospital visit you often -- all the nurses are trained to help initial BF, but they aren't generally LCs.  If your milk isn't in within 4 days, hire an LC to come do a home visit to check your latch and teach you other positions that might help.  If at 2 weeks and/or a month, you still have supply issues bring her out again (or another one).  Go to LLL meetings for support.  I had issues and pain for 8 weeks (thrush and a bad latch) before I saw an LC -- don't be me :)

Interesting information...that's good to know.  Do you have any recommendations for any specific lactation consultants in the south bay?

• Options
    imagetitantsmama:

While everyone's situation is very unique, I didn't touch my pump until at least a few weeks after each of the boys came home.

This is a really great point too.  I didn't use a pump until 10 weeks (which is a while, I realize) but it was really helpful in the very beginning to just figure out what my body was doing to make sure D had enough and let my body settle into BFing and regulate my supply.  I think if you don't need to pump in the first few weeks b/c of a supply problem, it might be better not to.  It's a lot to figure out on it's own without adding pumping into the mix!

• Options
    imageCelyn:

I don't think it's naive.  I think for a lot of women, commitment to it was the only thing that keeps them doing it, and for most, the only thing that gets them through the first few months if it isn't going well.  So, to be committed, especially for your own health reasons, is a good thing.  Only a very small percentage of women are actually unable to breastfeed.  Sadly, many women think they weren't able to make enough milk, when the culprit was actually a bad latch or infrequent enough feedings or diet, or a sleepy, jaundiced baby or tongue tied baby who didn't nurse often enough or well enough to drain the breasts and trigger more milk to be made, or they were encouraged to supplement for any or all of those reasons, which meant they nursed less and made less.  That is not to make anyone feel bad -- because I know women who were hella bent on BF and then thought they couldn't, and they saw LCs, and nothing they did seemed to help.

can you live with me when we have our next baby? you are a invaulable resource!

• Options

I bought one, a Medela PISA. I will be going to go back to work and I know I will need it eventually. Did I need it right away? No, but I don't think I will regret it. I saw it for a good price so I grabbed it. 

One of my friends had a baby that didn't want to latch on at first and she spent the first week or so, pumping BM, feeding the baby with a spoon so it would not get nipple confusion and then having her suck her finger so she would not forget how to suck, It was torture, she was constantly doing one of the above acitivities but she was that committed and eventually the LO did learn to latch.

I have seen many people give bottles a little too early and they do like the bottle better, it's much easier. I would wait until about 3-4 weeks at least to start that. Some babies will be fine with it but some will just stop taking from the breast.  

• Options

I say buy it before and keep the receipt and keep it in the packaging until you know you need to use it. I didn't use mine till around 3 weeks after dc was born.

I wasn't planning on buying one before and my ob actually convinced me to. She said even if dc had latching issues etc etc, I could pump and that alone would be cheaper to pump bm rather then using formula ( essentially paying for the pump ). 

• Options
    imageSportyMrs.23:
    imageeastbaygirl:
    imageMarksGrrl:

For the hospital grade pump...do you buy it directly from kaiser...do they do that?  And I am guessing that those would cost like in the $1000 range...is that about right?

Kaiser doesn't sell hospital grade pumps.  You can buy them directly from Medela.  At the time I was looking for one a new Symphony was around $1,000 and a Lactina was around $700.

I bought a used hospital grade Lactina figuring a used hospital grade was going to be the same as renting one - others have used it before me - for less than retail price of a new Freestyle from BRU.  Add on $40 or so for the kit (tubing, bottles, flanges).  If you go this route let me know and I can give you some tips and things to avoid.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageeastbaygirl:
    imagetitantsmama:

While everyone's situation is very unique, I didn't touch my pump until at least a few weeks after each of the boys came home.

This is a really great point too.  I didn't use a pump until 10 weeks (which is a while, I realize) but it was really helpful in the very beginning to just figure out what my body was doing to make sure D had enough and let my body settle into BFing and regulate my supply.  I think if you don't need to pump in the first few weeks b/c of a supply problem, it might be better not to.  It's a lot to figure out on it's own without adding pumping into the mix!

mmm...good point. this pump, since I would be ordering from a website, would be shipped...but maybe I could order it and have it shipped after a couple weeks (knowing that my supply is good and everything is on track) and get use to just breastfeeding alone without including the pump.  And a couple/few weeks isn't too long as far as Aaron not feeding her goes.

• Options
    imageGirlStylist:

I say buy it before and keep the receipt and keep it in the packaging until you know you need to use it. I didn't use mine till around 3 weeks after dc was born.

I wasn't planning on buying one before and my ob actually convinced me to. She said even if dc had latching issues etc etc, I could pump and that alone would be cheaper to pump bm rather then using formula ( essentially paying for the pump ). 

Another good point!

• Options
    imageSportyMrs.23:
    imageeastbaygirl:
    imageMarksGrrl:

I don't think anyone answered this question. You rent a hospital-grade pump. Not sure what the cost is.

• Options
    imageMarksGrrl:
    imageSportyMrs.23:
    imageeastbaygirl:
    imageMarksGrrl:

Kaiser doesn't sell hospital grade pumps.  You can buy them directly from Medela.  At the time I was looking for one a new Symphony was around $1,000 and a Lactina was around $700.

I bought a used hospital grade Lactina figuring a used hospital grade was going to be the same as renting one - others have used it before me - for less than retail price of a new Freestyle from BRU.  Add on $40 or so for the kit (tubing, bottles, flanges).  If you go this route let me know and I can give you some tips and things to avoid.

Thanks for the info!

• Options

The only one I know on your side is Janet Fishstrom Dombro, IBCLC, (408) 205-1234, janetibclc@sbcglobal.net

I can look into it if you need another name too.  Also, the Nursing Mother's Counsel has a 24-hr hotline - 650 327-6455 and 408-272-1448

• Options
    linny - if I ever become a postpartum doula, absolutely ;)
  • Options

I don't think you are naive but I don't think you can predict issues.  I borrowed a Medela pump but ended up leaving the hospital with a hospital grade (Lactina) rental. It was covered by my insurance but was $50/month to rent.

• Options

I was very committed to giving breastfeeding a go.  It was important to me.  I sterilized all the parts for my borrowed pump (from my SIL who was done with it) before C arrived.  I brought the pump with me to the hospital and left it in the car. 

On day 4, the hospital pedi diagnosed C with jaundice and said he need to spend the night under the bili lights and needed formula to flush the ... I can't remember the stupid thing he needed to flush.  Whatever.  Pedi ordered formula.  I was hesitant.  DH cried.   My milk came in just as they wheeled DS to the nursery.  I broke out my copy of Nursing Mother's Companion.  It said to offer the breast, then pump. Then offer the breast and then offer the pumped milk. 

So I did.  All night long.  I was allowed to take him out of his incubator for 20 minutes every 90 minutes to feed him.  So I would offer the breast to my insanely sleepy infant, then try an SNS to get the pumped milk in him (10mLs at a time), then offer 10 mLs of formula to satisfy the pedi and her minions (he took both by artificial nipple not attached to a bottle).  Then back into the incubator he went.  All night long.

He was on the mend and released 12 hours later. 

Having the pump saved me.  It relieved that inital engorgement and allowed me to keep my DS on mostly breastmilk. 

A rental pump would work for that too but I wouldn't have ben able to get one when I needed it -- it was after hours on the 4th of July.  ;)

• Options
    imageCelyn:

The only one I know on your side is Janet Fishstrom Dombro, IBCLC, (408) 205-1234, janetibclc@sbcglobal.net

I can look into it if you need another name too.  Also, the Nursing Mother's Counsel has a 24-hr hotline - 650 327-6455 and 408-272-1448

Thanks so much for the info...this is great!

• Options
    imagefutrkingsley:

I was very committed to giving breastfeeding a go.  It was important to me.  I sterilized all the parts for my borrowed pump (from my SIL who was done with it) before C arrived.  I brought the pump with me to the hospital and left it in the car. 

On day 4, the hospital pedi diagnosed C with jaundice and said he need to spend the night under the bili lights and needed formula to flush the ... I can't remember the stupid thing he needed to flush.  Whatever.  Pedi ordered formula.  I was hesitant.  DH cried.   My milk came in just as they wheeled DS to the nursery.  I broke out my copy of Nursing Mother's Companion.  It said to offer the breast, then pump. Then offer the breast and then offer the pumped milk. 

So I did.  All night long.  I was allowed to take him out of his incubator for 20 minutes every 90 minutes to feed him.  So I would offer the breast to my insanely sleepy infant, then try an SNS to get the pumped milk in him (10mLs at a time), then offer 10 mLs of formula to satisfy the pedi and her minions (he took both by artificial nipple not attached to a bottle).  Then back into the incubator he went.  All night long.

He was on the mend and released 12 hours later. 

Having the pump saved me.  It relieved that inital engorgement and allowed me to keep my DS on mostly breastmilk. 

A rental pump would work for that too but I wouldn't have ben able to get one when I needed it -- it was after hours on the 4th of July.  ;)

VERY interesting....what a story...thanks so much for this info...that makes me think twice about waiting!

• Options
    I have to agree with April.  As an added anecdote, I was anxious too about purchasing a pump and I did so after using the pump at the hospital.  I later rented one from a lactation consultant.  So, my advice is if you buy it for your comfort.  Do find out what the return policy is where you purchase it and save receipts.  It may even be good to rent one to see which one fits your needs best.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I think it's wonderful that you're so committed to BFing and I hope it works out for you!  I was very lucky in that it was easy for me (as a SAHM - no way I would have lasted for long if I worked), and I had no problem making it to one year with both kids.  Best of luck to you, and I hope you have the same experience. 
  • Options

As you can see, diff ppl have diff experiences - so they all have different opinions. =]

I had my pump before I gave birth, and I bust it open the day we came home. I, like you, was really committed to BFing (family history of Breast Cancer). We had a rough rough time right when we came home from the hospital. She stopped latching once my milk came in, and the only way to get her to eat (b/c she was so sleepy) was to pump and feed her expressed milk. It was 2 am in the morning, and I was distraught, b/c my baby would just wanted to sleep and couldn't wake up to eat. There is no way I would've been able to go out and buy a pump at 2 am in the morning, and I had 2 LCs telling me I had to feed her expressed milk from the bottle (which I thought was a big no-no.. but it isn't when your baby isn't eating!). I truly think that if i didn't ahve the pump with me beforehand... I would've had a lot more trouble sticking to the BFing. I know my case is probably on the extreme side.. but just wanted to give you my experience. 

• Options

Just adding one more story. . . but if you don't want to read, the bottom line is buy it if it makes you feel less anxious.  Just don't open it till you need it!

Ok, story: I had an emergency c/s and my milk took four days to come in.  K dropped weight just past that magic 10% they talk about.  I was nursing round the clock as I was supposed to, and after a day or so my LC added in a pumping schedule. So, I was feeding K and pumping after every feeding.  She was three weeks early, so sleepy, and jaundiced.  At one point, we needed to give her formula via a bottle because she needed to eat!  I freaked out at first, but got over that once I saw that she latched just fine.  On our way home from the hospital, we picked up our pump :)  Didn't even bother to go home first because I knew I'd need that sucker asap!!  For the first month of her life, I pumped after every feeding.   She took bottles just fine (no nipple confusion here!) and with a little bit of work in those first few weeks, her latch was great!!  That pump was worth it's weight in gold and I'm convinced that I wouldn't have had the great experience I did with bf overall if I hadn't had that pump at home.  I'm sure I'd have given up before the six week mark.

Good luck!   

• Options

I had to rent a hospital grade pump because I had to use an SNS due to latch issues.  Kaiser sent me to the Nursing Mother's Counsel.  I actually have a contact (not who I rented the pump from that is available for questions via email  Allyson (650) 465-7903 afisch33@comcast.net).  I love RWC Kaiser's LC.  We saw them all the time due to Matteo's breastmilk  jaundice and latch issues.

I was glad to have my own pump even though I had to rent one so yes I would buy it now.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Another reason to have it already is that they can show you how to use it at the hospital. I just busted mine out and it is not that tough but it may be nice to have someone to ask questions when you are using it the first time. the "destructions" are not always crystal clear. There's bags, there's bottles, there's different settings, etc. You can have the parts all clean and ready. Personally I am not a fan of using one that someone else has used. Call me a germaphobe. 
  • Options
    amy, the part of a rental you use that is used by someone else is the pump itself, which never touches the milk.  all the bottles, tubes, cones, etc. are individual to the user.  this reminds me to post my psa -- ask at the hospital for your doc to write you a script for the medela pump parts.  they're free and they work on the PiS, Lactina, and rental pumps.  If you don't get them then, you have to pay for them when you rent -- and if you don't rent, but you have a Medela at home, you have extra parts.
  • Options

imageCelyn:
    amy, the part of a rental you use that is used by someone else is the pump itself, which never touches the milk.  all the bottles, tubes, cones, etc. are individual to the user.  this reminds me to post my psa -- ask at the hospital for your doc to write you a script for the medela pump parts.  they're free and they work on the PiS, Lactina, and rental pumps.  If you don't get them then, you have to pay for them when you rent -- and if you don't rent, but you have a Medela at home, you have extra parts.

Oh haha, that makes more sense. I feel dumb now. LOL.  

• Options
    I bought my breast pump (lansinoh) about a month before.  I used it the day my milk came in!  I have used mine everyday since then since Abby didn't latch on correctly and I needed to pump in order to get her milk.  Now that is all I do, pump and formula.  Hope this helps and good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"